Life without a car and MGTOW

Forum title says it all! Discuss all things cars and motorcycles here.

Life without a car and MGTOW

Postby Orangutan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:32 am

I've come to think that the desire to own a car can be especially influenced by a desire to impress women. This is one of the reasons a lot of teenage boys rush to buy their first car. It puts you ahead of all your peers who don't have one. You can suddenly offer a service to ladies and also a private space away from home.

As someone said back in highschool, a girl isn't going to kiss you in a bus. There's truth to that. If you don't own a car, you're probably going to look like a loser.

Now of course many places require a car to earn an income and just get around, but many still have the option of living in places where a carless lifestyle is feasible. I personally don't own a car and never have. I prefer to walk everywhere as it is what humans evolved to do. When I do major grocery shopping I bring a backpack and haul it home, regardless if it be wind, sunshine, rain or snow. Good exercise.

I could easily look poor or suspicious, especially to women. However, I'm not interested in impressing anyone, so I've managed to save tens of thousands of dollars since I could first legally own a car by never buying one. I've taken those funds and put them towards extended international travel and hobbies.

Basically, the carless lifestyle as a man is a sure indication you're probably not going to get much positive attention from ladies, but on the other hand if you seriously don't give a shit, you'll save tons of money.

Orangutan
Banana Republican

Liked: 4953

Re: Life without a car and MGTOW

Postby Contrapositive » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Orangutan wrote:Basically, the carless lifestyle as a man is a sure indication you're probably not going to get much positive attention from ladies, but on the other hand if you seriously don't give a shit, you'll save tons of money.

Cars are freedom to go your own way whenever you want. Anything beyond that is a secondary benefit and superfluous.

Without a car, you're dependent on public transportation, trains, bus lines and airlines and all the SNAFU that comes with them.

For those unable to take the red pill, life also offers it in the form of a suppository.

Men have children; women have minions.
Contrapositive
Established Member

Liked: 2446

Postby TDG » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:13 pm

I own two cars because I enjoy cars.

Impressing women isn't even an afterthought...

Last edited by TDG on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 57980

Postby all_in_chocolate » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Where I live, distances are large, and there is no public transport. A vehicle is a necessity. Two vehicles is better.

In the larger picture, I agree with and can easily reconcile all of the above sentiments.

Here's the thing. Once you free yourself from the mindset of a script, then that also applies to possessions. You can think about each purchase on a case-by-case basis.

1. Do I need it?
2. Is there a cheaper alternative to fulfill the same need? If there is a cheaper alternative, then the price difference is a luxury, not a need.
3. If it's a luxury, then do I want it more than anything else I can buy for the same money?
4. Do I want it more than anything else I can buy with the perpetual return on that money if I chose to save the money?

Notice that none of the questions involve what someone else thinks I should have or what someone else will think of me for owning it.

They only involve a thinking process to determine what expenditure of my money will lead to my greatest happiness.

If I determine that having such-and-such car will lead to my greatest happiness, because I like that car, then I should buy the car.

If I can find an alternative and use the difference to fund international travel, because that leads to my greater happiness, then that's what I should do.

I personally have all kinds of atypical (even outright abnormal) non-spending and spending. Time is money, and I value my life dearly. Therefore, I question every expenditure, with extra scrutiny on recurring expenses.

This optimization of resources has contributed immensely to my happiness.

"It stinks to high heaven, but we learn from our mistakes and eventually we stop weathering the storm and start being the storm." --MisterPho
all_in_chocolate
Established Member

Liked: 4789

Postby kirik » Sat May 09, 2015 12:25 am

Contrapositive wrote:
Orangutan wrote:Basically, the carless lifestyle as a man is a sure indication you're probably not going to get much positive attention from ladies, but on the other hand if you seriously don't give a shit, you'll save tons of money.

Cars are freedom to go your own way whenever you want. Anything beyond that is a secondary benefit and superfluous.

Without a car, you're dependent on public transportation, trains, bus lines and airlines and all the SNAFU that comes with them.

Which side of the fence you land on depends on where you live. Downtown in a city with a proper public transit system that gets you from A to B in a reasonable time? No car needed. Suburbs with crappy public transit coverage? A car is a must. Personally I prefer to have the most reliable car possible since I can't afford an unreliable car.

kirik
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1676

Postby Pendragon » Sat May 09, 2015 1:35 am

I bike.

I can't find hope in the present, if we changed the past could I find hope for the future?

nightmares never last, one day you wake up and they're gone.
Pendragon
Established Member

Liked: 5222

Postby Useless_1 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:45 am

I follow a similar process as "all_in_chocolate" does - not just for cars.
Gather intel, reflect, copmpare, reflect some more, make a decision.
having empty pockets means i can not even get a driver's licence, which basically costs more than half my salary.
so cars are a tool for independence and must be in my MGTOW toolbox at some point in the future.

Nerds is so 1993.
We are elite members of society who appreciate the finer arts of computational entertainment
of the highest order.
Useless_1
BANNED

Liked: 1488

Postby DruidV » Sat May 09, 2015 10:39 am

I drive a beat up, 1986, county orange colored, Ford F-150.

This solves any potential female parasite, and or car thief problems, rather nicely.

And I quote:

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts. Made a lot of special modifications myself."

Is it safe?
DruidV
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 16436

Postby No4Dad » Sat May 09, 2015 11:06 am

If I lived in New York City, Washington D.C., or some similar city, I'd seriously consider getting rid of my car and just renting one on the weekends when I wanted to go out exploring.

Just about everywhere else I need a car.

One of the reasons I live in an apartment is that when my job changes, my plan is to just finish out the lease (unless it changes to a different city, in which case I'll just break the lease) and move to within walking distance of my job. I haven't fought rush hour in a decade with this plan and it's awesome.

I did the "buy a house in the suburbs"-deal back when I was married and the commute was horrible. Easily an hour each way on normal days and I'd have to schedule everything around traffic. The worst day was three fucking hours to get home (35mi). I was just pissed off that day. It wasn't even because of something like snow. It was just an extremely shitting day for traffic all the way home. I don't want to experience that, again.

Right now I live in an apartment outside of a major city. I work from home. If my job were to change and I were to have to travel into the city, even though there's public transportation to do so, I'd still drive. The reason is that using public transit (buses + rail) adds to the time on my journey and my time is valuable to me. Also, it doesn't cost less even when gas spikes. So it takes me longer (adds at least an hour a day) and costs more (just comparing it against gas - you could add in insurance and maintenance in there if you liked) and, thus, not of much benefit. It also sucks, at least in my area, that there aren't sidewalks everywhere so you end up having to sometimes walk on unkept deer-trails next to fairly busy roads and this is even worse in the rain.

I think it's related to getting women, early on - in your teen years. If anything my Honda Civic repels them now. I like it because it's a small, fuel efficient car. Women are looking for the flash, though, and the Civic isn't that so it works to my advantage.

My main deal with all of this is: Is it practical. That's all it is. I swapped over to LED lights throughout my place a year back because they finally got to a price point and quality that I could live with. I'm not thinking "save the earth" but instead are thinking in terms of "being green" as in money:
- LEDs don't have to warm up (CFLs did - I had them for about a decade)
- LEDs don't give off much heat - works to my advantage in a Southern climate as I'm not having to pump that heat out via HVAC
- LEDs use about 1/2 the energy of a CFL which is good on my electric bill
- LEDs last a stupid long time. I'll probably be close to dead by the time they're ready to be replaced. I like that. I didn't like having incandescent bulbs go out on a regular basis and then having to remember to buy/change them.

I think most guys think in a very similar way. I know my dad did. He'd think about how to reduce his bills/save energy/save money. It was all very practical and that's how I fall with owning a car. It really just boils down to if it's practical. If I move to a heavily public-transit place and my car is in the garage most of the time then I start thinking in terms of, "Is it practical to own this car, pay for the insurance on it, and pay to store it when I'm normally not using it?"

No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 13687

Postby Slade » Sat May 09, 2015 8:17 pm

Useless_1 wrote:having empty pockets means i can not even get a driver's licence, which basically costs more than half my salary.

Say what? Half your salary? I just renewed my driver's license. Cost: $23

Slade
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 31936

Postby randompandom » Sun May 10, 2015 2:12 pm

I think you're right and wrong here. Definitely having a car will increase female attention, however I didn't want a car at 16 for chicks. I wanted it so I could get away from my house whenever I need to, get a job, and ultimately have more freedom than I had at that point.

Now I wouldn't have gotten laid as much as I did in HS without a car though, so it did definitely help in that aspect. However this wasn't my true motive for wanting one, just an additional perk.

randompandom

Liked: 332

Postby ZionDweller » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Whether my car impresses the ladies or not is not my concern. It gets me from A to B in bad weather and unfriendly pitch black streets.

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9473

Postby BrokenFree » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:23 am

I have an inexpensive car for transporting myself conveniently to work, hobbies and other locations. Public transport isn't very good where I live, so it's kind of a necessity. Well maybe not a necessity but a huge time saver, since using the public transport system is kind of a hassle. So basically I'm exchanging money for more free time and quality of life.

Sometimes I do think about changing for a more powerful and expensive one (BMW for example), and even if it would be cool & fun to drive one, I've come to the conclusion it just isn't worth it to me. I have my testosterone pumping vehicle in my motorcycle which has plenty of power and speed. Sadly I can only use that about half of a year, since it's so cold in Finland in wintertime and my street bike isn't made for snowy conditions.

As to impressing women, it's not a priority to me. I guess the bike kinda does that, but it's just used for solitary trips (man, bike and the road) or riding with friends.

BrokenFree
PROSPECT

Liked: 127

Postby Hooch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:47 pm

It is tough decision, to be sure.

I sold my old car 4 years ago, and used mostly the public transportation since - every 5 minutes I can get into a Bus, or a Tram from a station some hundred meters away from my flat. Yes, when the Bus or Train is empty, it is really nice to travel with it. Read a book, enjoy the view of the country side, have a short nap, ... . But most of the time when you have to use it, e.g. for commuting, other people tend to need it, too.
And therein lies the rub - sharing the small space really is tough. Having to endure People's smells, their noises. Watching them eat, drink, listening to mind-numbing chatter. If it is really full, it gets even more awkward, constantly bumping into each other.

But driving isn't only about freedom and having your own personal space not interrupted. Spending hours in traffic jams isn't really what I like to do in my free time. And other people often drive like jackasses, which tends to get on my nerves. And driving through a big city while it is prime is a huge test of everyones patience.

Ok, I also have a nice Motorbike, which I love to drive. But I'm kinda girlish and don't want to drive when it rains, it's cold ... just when it is sunny and nice :lol:. And mostly for fun, never for work. Since we have rainy autumns and long winters, I'm stuck with the train&buses for most of the year. I'm currently contemplating on getting a small cheap car, at least for the cold seasons.

We are the beautiful ones.
Hooch
Established Member

Liked: 1494

Return to Motorcycles and Cars