Ball (Joint) Buster.

Forum title says it all! Discuss all things cars and motorcycles here.

Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby hasmat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:20 am

I drive a mid 2000s Chevy silverado. The steering has been sloppy and the replacement of worn parts seemed to give a placebo effect for a few weeks at best.

I've always been told to jack up the truck and check for tire movement. Did. None.

I still had this weird ominous feeling. The tire was showing wear on inside edge, so I pulled it off.
Saw the boot was gone on upper ball joint.

Used a separator to pull it up. That thing was gone. Just dangling. Fuck.
Do you know what happens if you lose that ball joint at 70mph? Never good.

So I get to work. It has a pressed in ball joint, but you still have to remove the control arm in order to press a new one in. I opted to pay an extra $30 and get the whole arm assembly with new bushings and ball joint pressed in.

Couldn't get one of the bolts out of the mount. Got the nuts off, but the right bolt wouldn't slide. I tried everything, but that fucker wasn't budging. I don't fuck with that shit, so I got out my grinder and cut the bolt out. I had to get a new bolt set. I only used one, so if the other side is shit, I'll have one handy.

The factory plugs were still intact, so I just returned it to original specs (camber).

There is an easier way to check ball joints on a chevy truck. Jack up the front end, slowly, and watch the tires. If the bottom of the tire slides in while you lift, the ball joints are worn. It moves more than you think and you can actually hear the tire sliding on concrete.

Every time I changed oil it did that when I lifted it. Now I know why.

Disaster averted. $1300 in labor costs saved and like new steering.
  • 6

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:59 pm
Liked: 10287

Re: Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby DruidV » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:46 am

Excellent!

A lot of work that you can take pride in and know was done right.

The dough you saved is the gravy part.

That's exactly why I drive a beat up dinosaur Ford F-150 and have 20 grand in tools ( which goes like a fart in a whirlwind. I still want more tools.)

Caster, camber and toe are pretty easy with the ancient machines like mine, so I won't really need a rack.

I won't say too easy.

;)

(P.s., how are your brakes?)
  • 4

Is it safe?
User avatar
DruidV
MGTOW Veteran
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 am
Location: Undisclosed
Liked: 16431

Re: Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby hasmat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 am

DruidV wrote:Excellent!

A lot of work that you can take pride in and know was done right.

The dough you saved is the gravy part.

That's exactly why I drive a beat up dinosaur Ford F-150 and have 20 grand in tools ( which goes like a fart in a whirlwind. I still want more tools.)

Caster, camber and toe are pretty easy with the ancient machines like mine, so I won't really need a rack.

I won't say too easy.

;)

(P.s., how are your brakes?)


Brakes were done last year with all new lines. Put in a fresh rebuilt motor and updated heavy trans last year, too.
It's paid for and dependable. I always said I'd drive it till the wheels fell off...

My dad showed me how to use a string for alignment (and two 16P nails for toe in) when I was about 8. Never looked back.
  • 3

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:59 pm
Liked: 10287

Re: Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby Phathack » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:06 pm

hasmat wrote:I drive a mid 2000s Chevy silverado.

You guys and you new trucks.
I have 2 Fords 97 F-150 daily driver and & 48 F-100 hotrod.

:ugeek:
  • 3

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
User avatar
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am
Location: EM03
Liked: 8533

Re: Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby fester » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Great read; my son just rebuilt the entire front end of his 97 Volvo wagon, and he used the string technique to align it.

He saved probably a thousand in labor cost.

Previous owners did jack shit with that car....190,000 miles on it and it still had many original parts, and they were extremely worn out.

Those Swedes may be blue pill libtards, but they make a great car.

Has, I'm glad you found that ball joint before it simply broke off while driving. I had one of those fuckers go on me and the car's front just went down on the ground.
  • 3

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
User avatar
fester
MGTOW Veteran
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 am
Liked: 25194

Re: Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby hasmat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Phathack wrote:
hasmat wrote:I drive a mid 2000s Chevy silverado.

You guys and you new trucks.
I have 2 Fords 97 F-150 daily driver and & 48 F-100 hotrod.

:ugeek:


No worries. Several of my Harleys are nearly 50 years old and my tractor is a '39.
  • 3

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:59 pm
Liked: 10287

Re: Ball (Joint) Buster.

Postby hasmat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:08 pm

fester wrote:Great read; my son just rebuilt the entire front end of his 97 Volvo wagon, and he used the string technique to align it.

He saved probably a thousand in labor cost.

Previous owners did jack shit with that car....190,000 miles on it and it still had many original parts, and they were extremely worn out.

Those Swedes may be blue pill libtards, but they make a great car.

Has, I'm glad you found that ball joint before it simply broke off while driving. I had one of those fuckers go on me and the car's front just went down on the ground.


Thanks, brother.

I had the snap ring let loose on a new wheel bearing, once, and so try not to fuck with that stuff.
It wasn't pleasant.
  • 3

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:59 pm
Liked: 10287


Return to Motorcycles and Cars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Reputation System ©'