Musing about a new Motorbike

Forum title says it all! Discuss all things cars and motorcycles here.

Musing about a new Motorbike

Postby Hooch » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:22 am

Hey Guys!

Lately I am not really satisfied with my Bike anymore. It is a Yamaha XJ 600-S Diversion, from 1997. There just isn't enough power inside the machine.

I am basically looking for something big and really powerful, but don't want a supersport motorcycle - much too uncomfortable for my old ass. So far, I took a Kawasaki Z100SX and a Suzuki GSX-S 1000 for a Test Drive (each for a whole Weekend, 1200 km per tour, same tour).

Well, I can't tell a great difference between the two, both are insanely fast, kick in like a horse, but at the same time, let you cruise really relaxed, if you want to. I can easily flow through the traffic, or blast away with 250 km/h (I love German Highways). The Kawasaki is a bit more comfortable though, especially after 5 hours sitting on your ass, I felt my back on the Suzuki, on the Kawa I was fine.

What I mainly want to do is commuting, (just on sunny days of course :lol:) and touring.

I have to check with my wallet which options I have, maybe won't buy a new one, instead go with 4 year leasing, and afterwards you can decide if you want a new machine, or pay the rest, and keep the old machine. Having a new machine every 4 years sounds really tempting.

I'll keep you guys posted,
Hooch.

We are the beautiful ones.
Hooch
Established Member

Liked: 1494

Re: Musing about a new Motorbike

Postby WheelBarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:25 pm

All things being equal, the bike that fits and is comfortable to ride is the one to buy. If anything is giving you physical discomfort then your mind will focus on that and will be less focused on the road and other hazards.

Perhaps leasing in .de is different than here in .us. Here a lease is setup so that you're essentially buying the vehicle and then not owning it once paid for. It is a very poor financial instrument.

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7336

Postby Phathack » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:27 pm

The Ducati XDiavel S looks intresting to me.

:ugeek:

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8528

Postby Fray Bentos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:20 am

I use my Inter-European road rocket for getting across Europe in a hurry (CBR1100XX) and I have Triumph Tiger for the back roads. Both machines are very capable Tourers, but one will sit on the rough back roads all day at 50mph and the other will site on the motorways all day at 150mph...

Whatever you go with, if it either makes you smile or makes you forget about everything outside of the moment you are in, its the right machine.

I would never buy another new bike, too many people do that, keep it in a garage for 5 years and then sell them to people like me for a fraction of the price with very little signs of use on them. My Tiger has done just over 80,000 miles and is a 2005 (the best shape). You can still get these on occasion that have done less then 5000miles. I suspect this is the case for about any bike you want, outside of the really big touring rigs..

That ducati though - :mrgreen:

Fray Bentos
Selfish Bastard

Liked: 2731

Postby Calloway » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:36 am

Hooch wrote:I am basically looking for something big and really powerful, but don't want a supersport motorcycle - much too uncomfortable for my old ass.

What I mainly want to do is commuting, (just on sunny days of course :lol:) and touring.

I have to check with my wallet which options I have...

Have you looked into Yamaha's FZ-07 or FZ-09 (if you want something bigger). I have seen several reviews of the FZ-07 and everyone raves about the comfort and power of this machine. And it's not so pricey that it breaks the bank - even brand new.

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Liked: 13686

Postby Hooch » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 am

Leasing seems to mean something different here then, didn't know that. Basically, you can call it "renting". I pay around 200€ per month, for 48 months (with or without down-payment) - then I either pay the rest (~5000 €), or give the dealer the bike back, and instead get a new one - which I either can buy with a full single payment, or do the same "renting".

Yeah, I know, I know, this sounds fishy as fuck, but there are tax benefits if I do this, I can deduct this 100% from my taxes for my business - and I get a brand new bike each 4 years, what is there not to like? I could buy a new one tomorrow if I wanted, I have the money, so I don't have to take a loan or some shit, and go into debt.

Calloway, I really loved the Yamaha Fazer Fz1 - it was a beauty. I will never understand why they sold so poorly, especially with the Fazer FZ8 selling so well here in Europe. The FZ8 is a nice bike, I really dig that look. But for long tours, the motor is not big enough, climbing up the mountain passes isn't really something I would like to do with that small bike.

Oh, She is a real beauty. Just add a small Windshield, and you are set for Touring.

As for the MT bikes, they all look way too futuristic to me, especially the head lights... just ugly, don't like that at all. And just 3 Cylinders? What Madness is this ;).

I mean, is the Design from a Video Game :D?

Hooch
Established Member

Postby Primus_Pilus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:44 am

You want comfort, speed and power? I submit for your consideration ....

http://www.sportrider.com/first-look-2016-yamaha-fjr1300

Someone really should do something about this. Women at risk of living life is just unacceptable.
Maybe the platter should be made bigger and more silvery.
Alphas do, betas explain.
Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Liked: 4924

Postby Hooch » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:30 am

So, I got another test drive behind me, on a Kawasaki Z800 Sugomi. I like the exhaust Pipe and the colouring scheme. The typical green from kawasaki is butt-ugly, and the Akrapovic exhaust has a really nice sound to it - a lot better than the stock exhaust pipes the normal z800/z1000 edition has.

I got a small windshield on it, and changed the seats to more comfortable touring seats though. It is a little bit lighter and has little bit less punch than the big bikes I already took for a test drive - but it still has more than enough punch, can easily nail any car on land streets and highways (except at +200 km/h, and I rarely drive over 160 km/h to be honest, I am a pussy :lol: Until around 180 km/h, no car that can touch me).

I like the handling and the comfort. And that is considerable cheaper as well. If the dealer gives me the windshield, the new seat and a couple of side boxes as a trade in for my old Bike, I will buy it - around June maybe, don't have so much time now and the weather sucks anyway - if it should be better, I still can use my old bike.

Hooch
Established Member

Postby EddieS » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:37 am

Probably not really applicable. But I took a mates vmax for a ride the other day. Wow. I've never had my arms pulled like that before. Just massive straight line power!

Ride was pretty good too. Could do a long run on it no worries. Wouldn't want to be parking it in tight spaces though, and the fuel tank is too small. But fuck, that motor. I'm in love. I think I want one. :lol:

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14585

Postby toadman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Ah yes, spring-time, When a young MGTOW man's fancy turns to...motorcycles! Ride on!

FZ06/7's and FJR's are insanely nice and high-speed in tech, yet depreciate heavily right off the the curb ride-away.

You looking for a do-it-all commuter yet canyon carver when needed? What cc (i.e. weight)? Bodywork and wind protection for long hauls? I can only speak for the RC30-based Hondas or CBR's.

"We can't change prevailing winds, but we can adjust the sails."
toadman
Administrator

Liked: 6782

Postby Fray Bentos » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 am

That's absolutely right Toadman,

Thanks to Hooch, this thread took me from the internet to the local bike shop, I have that itch in my wrist that only a new throttle can satisfy, I also have these stocks in Tate & Lyle I have been meaning to sell before they crash completely.

I need a third bike, a cruiser, like a Rocket 3 or if I can get one an old Valkyrie.

Then I am going to pop down to the Picos de Europa and the Pyrenees this summer... It's only a days ride away, 2 if I take it easy and go the scenic route...

Life could be worse...

Fray Bentos
Selfish Bastard

Liked: 2731

Postby DrunkenMaster » Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 am

Fuck my life. insurance for a bike is over 3k a years here it is just to rich to justify while dumping a k a month in support . Do you HEAR that lurkers I can't afford a bike or a house thanks to baby jail paying support . Wrap it before you tap it and I'm not jokin if you don't listen to me your wallet will be smoking .

The constant is that there is no constant , the universe is dynamic and ever changing , so hence change is the constant.
DrunkenMaster
8 ways drunken master

Liked: 6606

Postby Primus_Pilus » Sun May 15, 2016 3:59 pm

EddieS wrote:Probably not really applicable. But I took a mates vmax for a ride the other day. Wow. I've never had my arms pulled like that before. Just massive straight line power!

Ride was pretty good too. Could do a long run on it no worries. Wouldn't want to be parking it in tight spaces though, and the fuel tank is too small. But fuck, that motor. I'm in love. I think I want one. :lol:

Here's your $1100 fix right here.

http://vmax-fueltank.com/en_us/vmax-1700-larger-fuel-tank

VMAX with a 6.6 gallon tank? Hell yes.

Someone really should do something about this. Women at risk of living life is just unacceptable.
Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Postby Primus_Pilus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:28 am

So Christmas is coming a little early this year.

I'm gonna name it .... Toxic Masculinity :twisted:

z5758fb9fa6bd11525c7876a5.jpg
z5758fb9fa6bd11525c7876a5.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 3010 times

zz5758fb9da6bd11525c7876a2.jpg
zz5758fb9da6bd11525c7876a2.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 3010 times

z5758fba0a6bd11525c7876a6.jpg
z5758fba0a6bd11525c7876a6.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 3010 times

Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Postby Calloway » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 am

That bike is a beauty and a beast, Primus!

Make sure to let us know how long you keep that rear tire together before shredding it. :lol:

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Liked: 13686

Postby Ijon Tichy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:02 am

Love it.
Looks like a real Beast.
Keep the rubber side down and all that.

Ijon Tichy
Established Member

Liked: 956

Postby Primus_Pilus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:20 pm

TOTALLY loving this motherf@#$er.

It truly is a BEAST!!!!

!01.jpg
!01.jpg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

!02.jpg
!02.jpg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Postby EddieS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Very nice. They are a serious blast to ride.

Gogo gadget arms!

:lol:

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14585

Postby toadman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:20 pm

F' you, Primus. 8-)

I'd rig butterfly valves to the throttle and red LED's in the intakes. Just because...V-Max.

"We can't change prevailing winds, but we can adjust the sails."
toadman
Administrator

Liked: 6782

Postby Primus_Pilus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:17 am

toadman wrote:F' you, Primus. 8-)

:lol:

Some nice music and what a ride looks like on it. BTW, better get one fast.
There wont be a 2017 VMAX [Euro emissions bullshit/rules killed it]

Some dude showing what a VMAX can REALLY do on a track.

Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Return to Motorcycles and Cars