The End of Victory Motorcycles

Forum title says it all! Discuss all things cars and motorcycles here.

The End of Victory Motorcycles

Postby Stonecold » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Recently, Polaris Industries announced that they will cease production of Victory motorcycles. The reason given for this move is a simple one: the Victory brand was losing money, while the Indian brand was making money.

Victory motorcycles are mechanically superior to their biggest competitor, and less expensive. So, why was Victory losing money? Some would cite Victory's poor esthetics (a matter of personal taste), the lack of a good dealer network, or poor marketing.

I blame single mothers.

Seriously.

Fathers used to teach their sons to be independent, to stand on their own two feet. Now we have two generations of boys who weren't taught how to be men. Lacking good male role models, young men have had to figure out manhood on their own. Without guidance, young men take their cues from either pop culture, or exaggerated ideals of manhood. They buy Glocks (in the U.S.) because that's the gun "real" men buy. They buy Harley's because that's the bike "real" men buy. Mothers have taught their sons nothing but conformity.

Now, rugged individualism is as dead as John Wayne.

I blame single mothers.

Stonecold
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 88

Re: The End of Victory Motorcycles

Postby chiefbrownmonk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Learnt to ride on an Enfield back in the day because my uncle owned one. The thing was heavy or maybe it was that I was just a kid back then. Did the crotch rocket thing with a Ducati (996) back in the day.

Didn't know these things existed. The other machines I will miss are Buell's.

I'm thinking this is the year I get back into it. Been a while. Those bikes sure do look nice.

We are John Galt.
chiefbrownmonk
Established Member

Liked: 2930

Postby Calloway » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 pm

One of the guys I work with had a Victory. It was always needing a repair of some sort. He eventually traded it in for a Harley because "it needs less work". His Harley hasn't been without its own problems, but it does spend more time on the rode than his Victory did.

I don't know if he a got a lemon with his Victory or not. But when a mechanic has a hard time keeping a machine running, I pay attention.

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Liked: 14378

Postby eric123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Mechanically the Victory's were pretty good in the grand scheme of things, but the were ugly...I think I will stick with my Harley's though...

eric123

Liked: 293

Postby Stonecold » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Calloway wrote:One of the guys I work with had a Victory. It was always needing a repair of some sort. He eventually traded it in for a Harley because "it needs less work". His Harley hasn't been without its own problems, but it does spend more time on the rode than his Victory did.

I don't know if he a got a lemon with his Victory or not. But when a mechanic has a hard time keeping a machine running, I pay attention.

Definitely sounds like he got a lemon, but that's not the issue I wanted to discuss. The point I was trying to make is that men have become herd animals, like women.

If you're interested, here's a link to a five part video about Victory engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc

And another wherein a paid stunt rider shares his experiences on Victory motorcycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kX7ghX29cs

Stonecold
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Stonecold » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 pm

eric123 wrote:Mechanically the Victory's were pretty good in the grand scheme of things, but the were ugly...I think I will stick with my Harley's though...

Yeah, they were ugly in the early years, but they were getting better. I think the Gunner is a good looking bike, even though I bought the Octane.

Stonecold
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Calloway » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 am

Stonecold wrote:
Calloway wrote:One of the guys I work with had a Victory. It was always needing a repair of some sort. He eventually traded it in for a Harley because "it needs less work". His Harley hasn't been without its own problems, but it does spend more time on the rode than his Victory did.

Definitely sounds like he got a lemon, but that's not the issue I wanted to discuss. The point I was trying to make is that men have become herd animals, like women.

Understood.

I should have explained why I brought that up. Even if Victory only made a few machines that turned out to be lemons, if those riders are vocal enough about their negative experiences, then Victory will will start to get a bad reputation among riders. In that case, it wouldn't be so much men acting like herd animals as much as men making a decision based on past experiences. It's a wise man who looks at the experiences of others and realizes that he would get the same results in that situation.

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Postby Stonecold » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Calloway wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

Understood.

I should have explained why I brought that up. Even if Victory only made a few machines that turned out to be lemons, if those riders are vocal enough about their negative experiences, then Victory will will start to get a bad reputation among riders. In that case, it wouldn't be so much men acting like herd animals as much as men making a decision based on past experiences. It's a wise man who looks at the experiences of others and realizes that he would get the same results in that situation.

I agree that word-of-mouth is the most effective form of advertising, but I don't think it's the primary force behind the demise of Victory.

With the internet, we don't have to rely on the opinions of those in our social circle. We can read and hear the opinions of those half-way around the world. We can watch reviews by professional moto-journalists, and ordinary owners alike. We can also access technical data. There is no good reason to be as reliant on word-of-mouth as we were in the past.

Everything on the internet would have to be ignored, in order for word-of-mouth to still be relevant. One can go on line and find horror stories about Victory motorcycles, but one can also find stories of Victorys that have been ridden tens of thousand of miles without issue. If only negative Victory stories could be found on the internet, those stories would reinforce the negative word-of-mouth. The fact that positive Victory stories can be found leads me to believe there is another force behind the demise of Victory.

I think that force is conformity.

Stonecold
MGTOW Veteran

Postby The Shadow » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Fathers used to teach their sons to be independent, to stand on their own two feet. Now we have two generations of boys who weren't taught how to be men. Lacking good male role models, young men have had to figure out manhood on their own. Without guidance, young men take their cues from either pop culture, or exaggerated ideals of manhood. They buy Glocks (in the U.S.) because that's the gun "real" men buy. They buy Harley's because that's the bike "real" men buy. Mothers have taught their sons nothing but conformity.

I blame single mothers.

When was John Wayne EVER a rugged individualist?

BTW, The Duke didnt have anything on actor Lee Marvin, a
WWII vet who was always getting into bar fights and other
troubles.

Real bar fights, not staged ones, mind you. Sure Lee was a drunk, but
the Duke was a life long cigarette smoker.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7723

Postby Stonecold » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:13 pm

The Shadow wrote:
Stonecold wrote:

I blame single mothers.

When was John Wayne EVER a rugged individualist?

BTW, The Duke didnt have anything on actor Lee Marvin, a
WWII vet who was always getting into bar fights and other
troubles.

Real bar fights, not staged ones, mind you. Sure Lee was a drunk, but
the Duke was a life long cigarette smoker.

Did I claim John Wayne was a rugged individualist? No. I claimed he was dead.

Do you have a fucking point relevant to the discussion?

Stonecold
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Primus_Pilus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Want a bulletproof maintenance motorcycle that will shread any American made bike AND doesn't attract all the cops (like sportbikes do) AND that could can ride all day??

Say no more

Yamaha VMAX - It's big, bad, bulletproof and fucking BRUTAL.

Shaft driven power cruiser that's good for 100,000 miles
Want to make it even FASTER?
Guru mod [$500 software reflash takes what little political correctness was in the computer and flushes it]
Also takes it into the 9's in the quarter mile and shatters the limiters.

Only drawbacks? Short gas legs [custom tail tanks are cheap mods], you will go through tires if you like racing.

Serving smoked HOG since 1985

Someone really should do something about this. Women at risk of living life is just unacceptable.
Maybe the platter should be made bigger and more silvery.
Alphas do, betas explain.
Love is a lie, marriage is a scam, children are a trap, and society is your enemy.
Ominous Nabisco, E Spiri 2 Sanked U
Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Liked: 5410

Postby Calloway » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Primus_Pilus wrote:Shaft driven power cruiser that's good for 100,000 miles

I used to have a Yamaha Virago that had shaft drive. Shaft drive is definitely the way to go (I say that after just getting off my chain-drive Kawasaki ZZR-600 - that I *LOVE*). Whether you have chain drive, belt drive, or shaft drive, as long as you maintain it properly, it will last thousands of miles.

Who, in their right mind, would want a FASTER V-Max?!? It's scary fast, straight out of the box.

A buddy of mine in college, who had a Harley, was asked if he could keep his buddy's V-Max while he was on deployment. Just take it out every once in a while to make sure the battery stays charged, etc. Well, he was sitting at a stoplight next to a McDonalds on the V-Max and when the light turned green, he gave it some gas and popped the clutch a little too quick. The rear tire spun and started to smoke and the front tire came off the ground! He quickly brought the beast under control and looked over to see the college kids at the McDonalds hooting and hollering at him to do it again! Like he meant to do it! :lol:

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Postby Stonecold » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Primus_Pilus wrote:Want a bulletproof maintenance motorcycle that will shread any American made bike AND doesn't attract all the cops (like sportbikes do) AND that could can ride all day??

Say no more

Yamaha VMAX - It's big, bad, bulletproof and fucking BRUTAL.

Shaft driven power cruiser that's good for 100,000 miles
Guru mod [$500 software reflash takes what little political correctness was in the computer and flushes it]
Also takes it into the 9's in the quarter mile and shatters the limiters.

Only drawbacks? Short gas legs [custom tail tanks are cheap mods], you will go through tires if you like racing.

Serving smoked HOG since 1985

The VMAX is definitely a beast, and the type of bike a nonconformist might buy. There would be more of them on the road, if American consumers weren't such sheep.

Stonecold
MGTOW Veteran

Postby going this way » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:05 am

Never owned a motorcycle, or driven one. Looks like something to consider though, too bad there'll be no more of any kind of sweet machinery from them like this; http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us ... havasu-red

Et erunt homines se ipsos amantes, cupidi, elati, superbi, blasphemi, parentibus inoboedientes, ingrate, scelesti
going this way
GPS Relocating...

Liked: 1193

Postby The Shadow » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 am

going this way wrote:Never owned a motorcycle, or driven one. Looks like something to consider though, too bad there'll be no more of any kind of sweet machinery from them like this; http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us ... havasu-red

Now that is a sweet "crotch rocket"!. Mono-shock rear suspension reminds me of my dirt-bike racing days, along with the chain-drive, not a belt or shaft drive. That thing would eat a Harley-Davidson for breakfast, but for long rides it would not be so keen. But to be honest, most riders like to hear the exhaust pipes putting out lots of noise, and like to be able to fix the bike themselves, thus an electric-powered motor will be viewed negatively, for most people who are road-bike enthusiasts.

If you ever do buy a ride, my advice is to ride it plenty on the streets or back-roads, before you hit the highway. Riding a road bike isn't like a bicycle at all. That's how my cousin died. Bought a new Harley-Davidson, then got himself killed out on the freeway, when he didn't have any previous experience riding any kind of motorcycle. Yeah, they are lots of fun, but they are inherently quite dangerous, unless you learn how to handle them. And its usually a car/motorcycle collision that kills riders.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7723

Postby Morgu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:34 pm

The Shadow wrote:And its usually a car/motorcycle collision that kills riders.

Not surprising, especially the way most people drive in America. The number of times I've had to swerve to avoid being hit by someone who ignored a yield sign...

Of course the rules of the road don't apply to them, they're driving the biggest motherin' pickup/soccer mom van/little corolla with custom green paint job, flames painted on the side, tinted windows, and special mufflers/whatever. </sarc>

Most motorcycle riders I've encountered on the highway have known what they were about, and were among the most courteous drivers around. Second only to the big rig drivers.

:D

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15483

Return to Motorcycles and Cars