Hellboy

Hellboy

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 pm

One of my favorite movies adapted from comics (indeed, one of the best comics based movies ever made). Good writing, great action scenes, and also had some good humor. The casting was great too: Ron Perlman really nailed the role of Hellboy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167190/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The special effects on the Sammael creatures was done very well:

(Skip to 1:05)

Definitely worth a watch for those who haven't seen it.

The sequel is good, too.

The original Hellboy comics are also worth a read.

"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." -Nikola Tesla

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue. -Plato

A man without a woman is like a fish without a hook.
Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Liked: 5025

Re: Hellboy

Postby SardonicYuda » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:13 am

Read the huge comic collection addition books and seen all films. Hellboy is quite a fantastic character. In regards to the differences between the comics and the movies, they're largely negligible or don't bastardize the original story by changing the characters to fit some fantasy or agenda.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
"We are the cleverest monsters, and we deserve everything we've got coming"
-David Axe
"Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side"
-Treebeard, LOTR
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda
Harbinger of the Doomed Rat

Liked: 12591

Postby chiefbrownmonk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Great movies. Worth the watch.

We are John Galt.
chiefbrownmonk
Established Member

Liked: 2975

Postby Max the lagomorph » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 am

SardonicYuda wrote:Read the huge comic collection addition books and seen all films. Hellboy is quite a fantastic character. In regards to the differences between the comics and the movies, they're largely negligible or don't bastardize the original story by changing the characters to fit some fantasy or agenda.

What is the differences between the comics and the movies? I watched the two movies but I never read any of the comics.

I became a MGTOW because this was the only logical solution to a man survive in a world replete of gynocentrism and biased against men!
Max the lagomorph
Established Member

Liked: 1092

Postby SardonicYuda » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 am

Max the lagomorph wrote:
SardonicYuda wrote:Read the huge comic collection addition books and seen all films. Hellboy is quite a fantastic character. In regards to the differences between the comics and the movies, they're largely negligible or don't bastardize the original story by changing the characters to fit some fantasy or agenda.

What is the differences between the comics and the movies? I watched the two movies but I never read any of the comics.

He'll boy has to hide his existence for most of the movies, but in the comics he's recognized by the UN as an honorary human, and the organization he works for isn't that secret.

His main enemies are the Orgu Jehad (I forget how to spell it). They're the huge tentacle things impisoned in a crystal in the first movie and they're much more directly involved in the comics, along with Rasputin and the Baba Yaga.

The Sword and Storms cartoon movie is largely original overall, but a few scenes were originally standalone right out of the comic (the headless people for one)

There's a lot more I can tell ya later if you want specifics

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda

Postby Max the lagomorph » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 pm

SardonicYuda wrote:
Max the lagomorph wrote:

He'll boy has to hide his existence for most of the movies, but in the comics he's recognized by the UN as an honorary human, and the organization he works for isn't that secret.

His main enemies are the Orgu Jehad (I forget how to spell it). They're the huge tentacle things impisoned in a crystal in the first movie and they're much more directly involved in the comics, along with Rasputin and the Baba Yaga.

The Sword and Storms cartoon movie is largely original overall, but a few scenes were originally standalone right out of the comic (the headless people for one)

Karl Ruprecht Kroenen was responsible for the death of hellboy father in the movie... in the comics he also kill hellboy father? And also, what role Samael has in the comics?

I became a MGTOW because this was the only logical solution to a man survive in a world replete of gynocentrism and biased against men!
Max the lagomorph
Established Member

Liked: 1092

Postby SardonicYuda » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Max the lagomorph wrote:He'll boy has to hide his existence for most of the movies, but in the comics he's recognized by the UN as an honorary human, and the organization he works for isn't that secret.

Karl Ruprecht Kroenen was responsible for the death of hellboy father in the movie... in the comics he also kill hellboy father? And also, what role Samael has in the comics?[/quote]
Karl is based on a Nazi scientist who answers to Rasputin in the comics, but he's much more minor character in the comics and really only shares the mask. Hellboy's dad is killed by a frog creature in the first comic, which is created by one of the spawn of the Ogru Jehad.

Samael doesn't appear in the comics, but he seems to be based off the the frog creatures to some degree. The comics are more episodic to be sure, but recurring enemies include the Baba Yaga(whom ultimately controls Rasputin) and Hecate also is more prevalent(she essentially stalks him throughout the comics).

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda

Return to Television, Film, Books, and Blogs