Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack

Postby SardonicYuda » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 am

I just saw the 1st episode of the new season. I refuse to spoil it, but if you love cartoons you gotta watch it.

Since this is run on adult swim now, it has a TV 14 rating so they can get away with a lot more, however they haven't completely redone the series, not yet anyways as the episodes are released. It's still Samurai Jack and I love them for it.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
"We are the cleverest monsters, and we deserve everything we've got coming"
-David Axe
"Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side"
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda
Harbinger of the Doomed Rat

Liked: 11858

Re: Samurai Jack

Postby Mr. Fenrir » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:36 am

Great, so they haven't fucked it up. I was afraid they would do it. I will watch it tonight though, Samurai Jack is the favourite story of my childhood.

Mr. Fenrir
Established Member

Liked: 2309

Postby deadb0y » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 am

Mr. Fenrir wrote:Great, so they haven't fucked it up. I was afraid they would do it. I will watch it tonight though, Samurai Jack is the favourite story of my childhood.

Are you sure?? I'm sure I saw a trailer that had Jack using a gun!?!?! WTF.. Jack uses a sword not a gun!

Been watching the originals over the last couple of weeks..!!

"You can fly?"

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2355

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 am

I missed the premier this past Saturday, but I recorded the re-airing last night and watched it this morning when I got home from work (I work night shift).

I was a bit worried at first about the quality of the new season at first, but going by this first episode, there's nothing to worry about. Shame it took 12 years to get a proper final season, but better late than never.

REally enjoyed the new villains introduced in this episode - the Daughters of Aku, and the robot assassin Scaramoush.

Like I said earlier, glad to see the series make a comeback. Now I just need to get around to reading the comics that were published a while back by IDW:

"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." -Nikola Tesla

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue. -Plato

A man without a woman is like a fish without a hook.
Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Liked: 4793

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 am

SardonicYuda wrote:Since this is run on adult swim now, it has a TV 14 rating so they can get away with a lot more

On that note, from this article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/23/ ... conclusion

They don't have carte blanche though; Adult Swim still has censors. Tartakovsky said, "We drew a dog's butt. Just like a circle, little asterisks, very innocent, we didn't think anything of it. We got it back, they're like, 'No dog anuses on Adult Swim.'" The more you know...

"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." -Nikola Tesla

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue. -Plato

Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 am

deadb0y wrote:
Mr. Fenrir wrote:Great, so they haven't fucked it up. I was afraid they would do it. I will watch it tonight though, Samurai Jack is the favourite story of my childhood.

Are you sure?? I'm sure I saw a trailer that had Jack using a gun!?!?! WTF.. Jack uses a sword not a gun!

"You can fly?"

SPOILERS:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This new season picks up 50 years after the last one (due to the effects of time travel, Jack hasn't aged). During the episode there is a brief flashback showing Jack losing his sword. Until he gets it back, he uses other weapons, including guns. At the end of the episode, after defeating the robot assassin Scaramoush, Jack takes the assassin's weapons - a scimitar and a "tuning sword" that can destroy matter - for himself.

If you haven't seen the episode, it's definitely worth a watch. Jack may not have his sword, but the action scenes are as well done as ever.

Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Postby SardonicYuda » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 am

Mantis, when we saw the daughters being born, I actually thought they were gonna sacrifice them to Aku at first what with the new rating :lol:

Since this is 50 years in the future, I wonder if well see and old and grey Scotsman, hes one of Jack's only friends and most likely will end with manly tears

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Mr. Fenrir » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:16 pm

deadb0y wrote:

"You can fly?"

This is what I never understood in him (not using a gun). In his early years Jack learned all sorts of fighting techniques, later when he grew up and was sent to the future he saw the potential guns have many times yet he never wanted to learn how to use it. Another thing like this was this time when Jack was at the Shaolin temple and he saw the monks using Chi to levitate and move bells. He was intrigued but he didn't want to learn it in order to gain an advantage later on. This is why I say that losing his sword is good for Jack as this forced him to constantly improve himself, just like in his younger years.

Mr. Fenrir
Established Member

Liked: 2309

Postby SardonicYuda » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm

One thing I'm hoping for with the 7 Daughters of Aku, is that we actually invest a bit in the villains, or rather get the background behind Aku's minions instead. One of my favorite parts of Samurai Jack is this;

Now imagine that played out through the whole season. I'm looking forward to it

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby SardonicYuda » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Second episode is out, and I have to say while he's no Mako(R.I.P.) the new voice actor does a good job, and Aku has indeed had some character progression while maintaining his hammy ultimate evil thing going on.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:23 pm

The second episode of the new season is even better than the first one.

Ditto on Aku's new voice actor, Greg Baldwin, doing a good job as the new voice of Aku. He's not as good as Mako, but he's a good replacement (Greg Baldwin also replaced Mako as the voice of Uncle Iroh in the last season of Avatar: The Last Airbender).

-SPOILERS-

One of my favorite scenes from the episodes was when Aku made a duplicate of himself and had a therapy session.

I laughed at the part at :25, when Aku is about to mention Jack's name and his therapy double stops him, saying "We don't say his name here, it is a safe place." Aku, master of evil and ruler of the world, needs a "safe space". :lol:

The fights between Jack and the Daughters of Aku were some of the best fights in the show's run.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
One of the episodes best scenes was near the end when Jack kills one of the Daughters of Aku. Earlier in the episode it was established that he believed they were more robots, merely "nuts & bolts". The look on his face when he slit her throat and saw blood spoke volumes.

The scenes with the wolf fighting the tigers - a parallel to Jack fighting the Daughters - was another great aspect to the episode. It was a great way to convey how powerful the new threat Jack faced was.

All in all another great episode, looking forward to the rest of the season.

Here's a link to the episode for anyone who hasn't seen it: http://kisscartoon.se/Cartoon/Samurai-J ... 2?id=74153

Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Postby deadb0y » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 pm

While not strictly OT, as I mentioned earlier I've been watching through the old stuff again and last night I came across this little gem:

Episode XXIX: The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful

with

Josephine

Exposing the wonderful duplicitous nature we all adore in the female of the species...This could even be considered an MGTOW episode!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2355

Postby SardonicYuda » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:40 pm

The third episode was great as well. I particularly liked the wolf and jack hanging out as they recovered from their battles. serious and yet still goofy at times.

however, getting to see more of Jack's father is especially good, and I like the lesson about the choices you make and what happens next. it's a simple lesson, but it's good for people to hear.

Personalyl I think the Daughter's of Aku are being killed of rather quick for my tastes, but perhaps the alternative would be that they're dragged out too much and they aren't endearing. Ashi is the only one we're apparently supposed to care about, since she's the runt of the liter. The part with the deer is kinda obvious, they have no clue what affection is and all that and I really hope there isn't some romantic subplot nonsense.

The Scotsman and his wife are a better love story, and the only one that belongs in Samurai Jack.

getting back to the newest episode, I'm a little curious as to how the hell the DoA have survived while hunting down Jack since they don't seem to understand nature. Now they have hammer space for their weapons so they might have some rations tucked away(I'm willing to believe that since it's a cartoon and more ridiculous things have happened in the series) but if they haven't been eating anything since they left their home, well then it kinda makes sense how they seem to be dropping like flies.

Looking forward to the newest episode for sure.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 pm

SardonicYuda wrote:The third episode was great as well. I particularly liked the wolf and jack hanging out as they recovered from their battles. serious and yet still goofy at times.

I enjoyed the scenes with the wolf as well. I thought the wolf had died after its battle with the tigers, so I was glad to see it it return, alive but injured. With how it helped Jack to heal after his encounter with the Daughters of Aku, I hope to see the wolf return at some point to further help Jack.

SardonicYuda wrote:Personalyl I think the Daughter's of Aku are being killed of rather quick for my tastes, but perhaps the alternative would be that they're dragged out too much and they aren't endearing. Ashi is the only one we're apparently supposed to care about, since she's the runt of the liter. The part with the deer is kinda obvious, they have no clue what affection is and all that and I really hope there isn't some romantic subplot nonsense.

In regards to the DoA being defeated so quickly, this is most likely due to this season only having 10 episodes, as opposed to the original 4 seasons' 13 episodes apiece. This gives the creators less time to work with, so they need to move along at a brisker pace compared to the past seasons.

As for Ashi, I read an interesting fan theory after the first episode of the new season aired that hypothesized that the DoA could somehow be Jack's daughters, the idea being that the only ones powerful enough to kill Jack are those who share his DNA. Not to mention that at this point Jack has had multiple decades of fighting experience under his belt, whereas the DoA, even after having been trained their entire lives to kill him, have relatively far less combat experience compared to Jack.

On the subject of fan theories, I thought of one regarding the wolf: it's just a theory, and may sound absurd, but what if the wolf is the reincarnation of Jack's father? What if the same gods who forged the sword for Jack's father allowed him to be reborn to provide assistance to his son? There could even be a scene during Jack's final battle with Aku, where Aku gets the upper hand and is about to kill Jack, when the wolf intervenes and intercepts the killing blow. Upon its death, the spirit of Jack's father appears to him, explaining that he was reborn in order to help Jack, and now that he has fulfilled his duty, it's time for him to move on. This invigorates Jack, who summons the strength to finish off Aku.

Like I said, it's just a theory I had, and it may sound ridiculous, but I thought it might be a neat idea.

SardonicYuda wrote:Since this is 50 years in the future, I wonder if well see and old and grey Scotsman, hes one of Jack's only friends and most likely will end with manly tears

There was a promo for the new season released a while back that briefly shows a clip of an older Scotsman, now sporting a minigun in place of his machine gun leg (around the 12 second mark):

Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Postby SardonicYuda » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:01 am

Alright so I have to talk about episode 4 and 5.

Episode 4 went pretty much how I expected it, but I was still glad to see Ashi still be an enemy till the very end. The highlights for me were the fight between them at the start

Jack arguing with himself keeps me quite entertained and I think is one of the best parts of his character development. Full on PTSD segments are meaningful, what with the visions and all, but when he's actually having an argument with his conscience is a good way to get into what's in his head(no pun intended), which I think works better than a soliloquy for the sake of exposition.

the hail of nails, just because it made me chuckle

the most visually appealing part was the part where they were escaping from the shark thing, pretty much just because it reminds of of documentaries about the freaky sea life at the very bottom, as well as the episode where he went inside the dragon.

Now episode 5 great too. I'm not too torn about how the Scotsman was going, but it makes sense and I look forward to seeing him in the rest of the season.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought that was it for him, but at least he would have gone out the way he lived. Ripping people a new one. Kinda funny to see he has a ton of daughters now, and I kinda wonder where the hell the rest of his clan went, but who knows? he probably told them to stay behind or something. At any rate I hope he fucks with Jack when he finds him.

The rest of the episode has good exposition and Ashi's fight with her own conscience is pretty good, seeing the parallels between her and Jack. The villain of the ep gave me a bit of a chuckle with his need to recharge, but his plan was pretty damn good, using kids against Jack. Course now that he thinks they're all dead, he's gone off with the green shadow figure, who a few fans think is Death(as in the Grim Reaper but a Samurai)

the promo for the next ep has me looking forward to it, especially since the Woolies are back, but the best part will be seeing what the hell Jack is up to talkin with Death.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 am

SardonicYuda wrote:Now episode 5 great too. I'm not too torn about how the Scotsman was going, but it makes sense and I look forward to seeing him in the rest of the season.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought that was it for him, but at least he would have gone out the way he lived. Ripping people a new one. Kinda funny to see he has a ton of daughters now, and I kinda wonder where the hell the rest of his clan went, but who knows? he probably told them to stay behind or something. At any rate I hope he fucks with Jack when he finds him.

One of my favorite comments from the video where Aku kills the Scotsman:
The Scotsman roasted Aku, but then Aku roasted him back, literally

Good to see that even death couldn't stop the Scotsman. Maybe now that he's a ghost, he can communicate with Jack, now that he's gone off with the mysterious green figure. Maybe he can convince Jack to return to the land of the living.

SardonicYuda wrote:Ashi's fight with her own conscience is pretty good, seeing the parallels between her and Jack.

Agreed, it was a good scene.

Another great scene was when the torturer mentioned how easy it was to manipulate children, turning them into weapons, paralleling how Ashi herself was manipulated and raised to kill Jack.(around 00:30)

Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Postby Mantis Shrimp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:07 am

On the subject of Samurai Jack, but on a more humorous note:

Mantis Shrimp
Established Member

Postby SardonicYuda » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am

I have to imagine if she's not dead, the Scotsman's Wife will berate the fuck out of him for dying. Even in death she'll kick his ass.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby SardonicYuda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 pm

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Max the lagomorph » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 am

SardonicYuda wrote:

I became a MGTOW because this was the only logical solution to a man survive in a world replete of gynocentrism and biased against men!
Max the lagomorph
Established Member

Liked: 1001

Return to Television, Film, Books, and Blogs