Bore water filtering

Homesteading, Small Scale Farming, Self-Sufficiency, and the like.

Bore water filtering

Postby EddieS » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 am

Does anybody have experience in bore water filtration?

I have a bore. It's iron and manganese contaminated. Though I haven't had it tested. The iron is obvious. I use it extensively for irrigation. While it is ok for that. I am thinking about setting up some sort of treatment to be able to use it in the toilet, washing machine and shower safely. As well as increasing the quality for irrigation. Without causing the red staining it does currently. I can buy an expensive treatment system. That may or may not have an ongoing cost in cartridges etc... But that's no fun :D

I have a basic understanding of what is going on with the dissolved minerals, iron oxide etc... Just wondering if there is a water guru here that can offer some larger volume filtration suggestions. I have a ozone generator which seems effective at oxidising the iron rapidly. Now I need to filter it. The best I can come up with atm is a pool type sand filter filled with zeolite. I'm guessing I need to get down to 5 microns or less somehow to remove all of the iron oxide precipitates effectively?

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15009

Re: Bore water filtering

Postby Self sufficient » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:44 am

Are you perhaps having an iron bacteria problem?

I have some experience in using water that has an iron/iron bacteria problems in a commercial ornamental plant production nursery as well as for grounds use.
Of course overhead watering of retail production stock yields plants that are commercially unsightly however the water charges for council supplied water are too expensive at $2.83 per Kilo litre.

I've done extensive research on this subject and have come up with several solutions and I'm not convinced that filtration will solve your problems for iron. I'd be interested to hear about this expensive treatment system you are mentioning.

If it's bacteria,it's claimed that bores can be bombed with chlorine to cure them.
An other solution that I found,I think by a govt dept a number of years ago,was to aerate the water into a large tank and let it sit overnight for the iron to fall out of solution by the time you want to use it.This would probably be costly and impractical for your use as you'd need a large tank and a second pump with associated electrical control system.
I've managed to make my water usable by using drippers with I think about a 120 micron filter but my problem is not as sever as it can be.Another way for me to use this water,if doing overhead watering, is to say water the stock for 9 mins on borewater and then rinse for 1 min using town water.This is easy enough when it's all electrically automated after the initial installation.

As I understand it,it's very difficult if not impossible to practically filter dissolved iron from water.Aeration I think offers the best solution and if filtration is possible,depending on the amount of iron in your water,it would probably quickly clog your filter.

I've also seen a "device" that is supposed to treat water so that the iron doesn't stain by altering it so that it doesn't react with air.
It seems to have a pseudo scientific explanation how it works but I'm not convinced.
It basically is a length of stainless steel pipe about 300mm long with black box technology in between that you screw inline.
I saw that years ago at an irrigation shop now called Eden.

One solution would be to tile your bathroom dark brown ,get your toilet glazed brown,buy a stack of brown clothes and even buy a brown car! :lol:
See,no fucking problems,there's always a different way to skin a cat.

Marriage is the greatest fraud ever perpetrated on men.
Self sufficient
Established Member

Liked: 3191

Postby EddieS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:15 am

I think the iron bacteria problem is minimal. As there is little to no build-up inside pipes that havent seen oxygen, or light.
The idea of the ozone is to accelerate the oxygenation as compared to aeration. It additionally kills off any bacteria and micro organisms. It also converts the manganese in solution to manganese oxide, and hydrogen sulfide into hydrogen and sulfate. When are harmless forms of their original in solution versions. Aeration doesn't always provide those extra benefits.

So yeah, as you say. Filtration isn't enough. Turn the iron in solution into iron oxide out of solution. Then filter that out. From the experiments I have done. A 20 micron filter won't remove all the redness after aeration with the ozone. The 2 micron tap filter I have will. But that's an expensive solution. Apparently zeolite will filter down to 5 microns. I'm hoping that will do. Aw I can use it in a backwashable pool filter type arrangement.

Those electrowizard and magnet solutions are a bit of a scam as far as I can tell. They are never used on a commercial scale. And I can't find any fair dinkum research on their efficacy.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby Self sufficient » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:22 am

How much would it cost for the expensive system you mentioned?

Is this it or similar?

http://www.davey.com.au/products/water- ... moval.html

Self sufficient
Established Member

Postby EddieS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 am

It's somewhat similar to that. Except I would likely have to use a tank for storage. The system would cost a couple thousand or so I estimate. Seems like a lot. But it gives me pretty much unlimited water without the need for proprietary cartridges etc...

We have had a bit of a dry spell. I have 45000 litres of rainwater. I'm down to the last 15k. Never been that low before. Its made me consider backup options.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby Self sufficient » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 am

Yep,the last 2 years have been tough for me as well with limited underground water.
My problem is that the well becomes limited as to water availability anywhere from Oct until decent rain.
Deepening the well is not an option.
I've had to install a tank and second small pump on a float switch arrangement to pump the well out around the clock.
It's then pressurized from the tank into the supply line instead of normally directly out of the well.
Luckily the well when compromised still yields reasonable amounts of water for a good length of time to tide me over for the year.

It's a bit of a worry with no significant rain so far to properly recharge the aquifer.
It seems we need a good cyclone our way to fix our water woes with the clean up job afterwards well worth it.

Self sufficient
Established Member

Postby mountainman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:00 pm

My cabin's well water has so much dissolved iron I joke that it sticks to magnets. Since I only use a few gallons a day what I do is pump the well water into a 50 gallon tank and bubble ozone through it. A pressure pump pulls water from the treatment tank through a 5 micron sediment into the pressure tank. I change the filter a few times a year.

I guess it's possible that a magnet could be used to separate precipitated rust particles from water. I think it would have to be a pretty strong magnet.

mountainman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 950

Postby EddieS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Fantastic mountainman. So I'm on the right track with the ozone and the 5 micron. Do you find that completely removes the iron/ staining? Do you drink that water?

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby mountainman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Yep, the water is perfectly clear and the only rust stains are in the treatment tank and on the filter. I've never had the water tested but I've been drinking it for 20 years. Guests have remarked on how good the water tastes.

mountainman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 950

Return to Off The Grid