Who didn't think this was happening?

Forum for conspiracy theories, following the money, cover-ups, etc.

Who didn't think this was happening?

Postby Pointerman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 am

The Pentagon has deployed drones to spy over U.S. territory for non-military missions over the past decade, but the flights have been rare and lawful, according to a new report.

The report by a Pentagon inspector general, made public under a Freedom of Information Act request, said spy drones on non-military missions have occurred fewer than 20 times between 2006 and 2015 and always in compliance with existing law.

The report, which did not provide details on any of the domestic spying missions, said the Pentagon takes the issue of military drones used on American soil "very seriously."

A senior policy analyst for the ACLU, Jay Stanley, said it is good news no legal violations were found, yet the technology is so advanced that it's possible laws may require revision.

"Sometimes, new technology changes so rapidly that existing law no longer fit what people think are appropriate," Stanley said. "It's important to remember that the American people do find this to be a very, very sensitive topic."

The use of unmanned aerial surveillance (UAS) drones over U.S. surfaced in 2013 when then-FBI director Robert Mueller testified before Congress that the bureau employed spy drones to aid investigations, but in a "very,very minimal way, very seldom."

The inspector general analysis was completed March 20, 2015, but not released publicly until last Friday.

It said that with advancements in drone technology along with widespread military use overseas, the Pentagon established interim guidance in 2006 governing when and whether the unmanned aircraft could be used domestically. The interim policy allowed spy drones to be used for homeland defense purposes in the U.S. and to assist civil authorities.

But the policy said that any use of military drones for civil authorities had to be approved by the Secretary of Defense or someone delegated by the secretary. The report found that defense secretaries have never delegated that responsibility.

The report quoted a military law review article that said "the appetite to use them (spy drones) in the domestic environment to collect airborne imagery continues to grow, as does Congressional and media interest in their deployment."

Military units that operate drones told the inspector general they would like more opportunities to fly them on domestic missions if for no other reason than to give pilots more experience to improve their skills, the report said. "Multiple units told us that as forces using the UAS capabilities continue to draw down overseas, opportunities for UAS realistic training and use have decreased," the report said.

A request for all cases between 2006 and 2015 in which civil authorities asked the military for use of spy drones produced a list of "less than twenty events," the report said. The list included requests granted and denied.

The list was not made public in the report. But a few examples were cited, including one case in which an unnamed mayor asked the Marine Corps to use a drone to find potholes in the mayor's city. The Marines denied the request because obtaining the defense secretary's "approval to conduct a UAS mission of this type did not make operational sense."

Shortly before the inspector general report was completed a year ago, the Pentagon issued a new policy governing the use of spy drones. It requires the defense secretary to approve all domestic spy drone operations. It says that unless permitted by law and approved by the secretary, drones "may not conduct surveillance on U.S. persons." It also bans the use of armed drones over the United States for anything other training and testing.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/03/09/pentagon-admits-has-deployed-military-spy-drones-over-us/81474702/

What a load of shit, these fuckers are flying over us everyday looking at shit.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30164

Re: Who didn't think this was happening?

Postby Notorious GIT » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm

It has never occurred to me that there might be a circumstance in which I could NOT be being watched by government faggotry.

And I mean never. I've been paranoid since I was a kid. Although then it had less foundation in knowledge... I can't really account for it, it's been awhile, but I remember a few things about my early years, and that has always stood out to me.

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire

Liked: 35924

Postby EddieS » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:28 pm

What does it mean that whenever I see the word pentagon these days, I read it as pendragon?

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14624

Postby Pendragon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:21 pm

EddieS wrote:What does it mean that whenever I see the word pentagon these days, I read it as pendragon?

I'm innocent, you fuckes will never take me alive.
I don't know anything!

I can't find hope in the present, if we changed the past could I find hope for the future?

nightmares never last, one day you wake up and they're gone.
Pendragon
Established Member

Liked: 5222

Postby Delmore Schwartz » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:21 am

No matter the likes of Kim Jun Un or Communist China, the United States government is afraid of its own people rising up and overthrowing it.

Why? Because that shit happens all the time in other places and just because it has never succeeded in the United States doesn't mean lawfully armed militias domestic terrorists wouldn't like to give it a go.

This is the reason that a lot of the hardware from US military adventures in Iran and Iraq are now finding homes with domestic police units. It's not just because the US Army wants to make a few bucks on the used Armoured vehicle market, but because the US Government wants to have stuff in place just in case shit starts going down in Main Street USA.

Obama wants review of Pentagon program that put $4.3 BILLION worth of equipment in the hands of American police forces – including grenade launchers and armored vehicles

Even if an uprising against the government was restricted to a single city area or rural state, there is little positive that can come out of it as far as the US government is concerned. I wouldn't say that the government has learned the lessons of the attack on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas or Ruby Ridge, but they are a lot more reluctant to have pictures of armed police / national guard / Federal agencies going up against civilians.

In more recent stand-off's between armed civilians and Federal agents such as the Bundy Stand-off in Nevada and the Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge there was obvious effort on behalf of the Federal government to allow local law enforcement to deal with matters and attempt to diffuse the situation as far as possible, quite a de-escalation from what happened in Waco.

Given that tensions still exist, I don't think it is paranoid to think that there are drones / photo-reconnaissance flights over both civil and urban areas of unrest in the United States, in fact from the federal government's perspective they would be foolish not to do it.

Whether they are on the lookout for training camps in the backwoods or monitoring urban no-go areas there are genuine threats to the federal government that must be monitored if there is to be any form of early-intervention. That this constitutes spying on US citizens is not going to make them stop. If they did nothing and there was another major terrorist attack they would look like idiots.

Is what the federal government doing lawful? I've no idea, but it wouldn't be the first time the NSA or similar federal agencies have played fast and loose with the constitution.

Time is the fire in which we burn

Delmore Schwartz (the original, not this internet manifestation of his ghost)
Delmore Schwartz
Established Member

Liked: 3428

Postby K-Dog » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Writing for the late, lamented publisher Loompanics, Harold Hough noted many years ago that the US government was using its spy satellites not just to watch the Soviet Union and China, but to watch things in the US as well. Outsiders who were aware of the KH and related spy satellites in use then and had lauded their capabilities to watch the bad guys had not considered the possibility of those same tools being used to watch us.

The similar use of drones domestically is no surprise. Drones simply give a much more close-up look at objects and activities of interest to BDG...

"To say that privacy does not matter because I have nothing to hide is analogous to saying free speech does not matter because I have nothing to say."—Ranome of MGTOWHQ.com
K-Dog
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6311

Postby TH49 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:58 pm

It would seem logical that there are satellites watching places like DC or New York.

Fellow told me that the creation of the 911 address system was for getting every building in the country recorded, especially shacks in the middle of the woods and other off the grid places. Maybe he was right.

TH49
Established Member

Liked: 1443

Postby DrunkenMaster » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:12 am

Oh you adorable rascals , this is even simpler , it is illegal for our governments to spy on their own people so the Canadians spy on Americans and report back to their government and vice versa . I believe Snowden has some references on this as well as the five eyes program . This way no laws are broken and our privacy is violated completely . Government freak wet dreams come true .

The constant is that there is no constant , the universe is dynamic and ever changing , so hence change is the constant.
DrunkenMaster
8 ways drunken master

Liked: 6618

Postby Phathack » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Homeland security has been operating a network of drones over the US for surveillance purposes ever since the agency came into being post 9/11. The article talks about the Pentagons use of drones over the US not homeland security. My guess was their was a availability problem with the civilian drones so they called on the military to cover for them.

:ugeek:

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8544

Return to Area 51