Are you planning to see the Eclipse

Got something meaningful to say? Philosophical discussions go here.

Are you planning to see the Eclipse

Postby BeijaFlor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:43 pm

No, I'm not talking about this kind of Eclipse, though I used to drive one.

I'm talking about something like this, and it's coming to the USA August 20th 21st:
(Thanks, WheelBarrow, for catching my mistake!)

The continental USA is going to be treated -- weather permitting -- to a total eclipse of the Sun. The path of totality crosses eleven states, from Oregon to South Carolina ... and outside that path, there will still be a partial eclipse worth viewing, THOUGH NOT DIRECTLY without super-dark "eclipse glasses" or a #14 welder's eye filter.

eclipse-path.jpg
eclipse-path.jpg (242.74 KiB) Viewed 383 times

(An interactive map is at http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html)

I'm preparing to go see the total eclipse, either in western Kentucky or in South Carolina ... depending on which has the best weather forecast. Curious to know, is anyone else making similar plans?

Last edited by BeijaFlor on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not how bad you fuck up, it's how well you recover that counts. - toolate

Feminists didn't remove the chains women thought they were wearing, they removed the chains that men didn't even know they were wearing. - Fray Bentos

Christ forgives. Mgtow, not so much. - EddieS

There are no solutions, only trade-offs. - Thomas Sowell
BeijaFlor
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7453

Re: Are you planning to see the Eclipse

Postby Morgu » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:14 pm

I am planning on seeing it. Might even make one of those "eclipse boxes" people used to make to see the eclipse.

Also, this is a better vehicle than the eclipse ;) :

:lol:

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15980

Postby BeijaFlor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Morgu wrote:I am planning on seeing it. Might even make one of those "eclipse boxes" people used to make to see the eclipse.

Also, this is a better vehicle than the eclipse ;) :

:lol:

I had an earlier Outback (1999), and yes, it did a good job, but it had its problems ... and when I got the sailboat, it wasn't enough vehicle to tow it, so I traded it in for a 4Runner.

An eclilpse box is an easy answer, especially if you're outside the "total" zone.

I've also used binoculars on a tripod to project the image onto a piece of white cardboard.

Whatever you do, don't look directly at the sun, unless/until the eclipse goes total.

Feminists didn't remove the chains women thought they were wearing, they removed the chains that men didn't even know they were wearing. - Fray Bentos

BeijaFlor
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Phathack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Not intentionally but it will most probably be the #1 news story that day so I'll see it that way.

:ugeek:

When you life is in the suck, just don't give a fuck.
A member of the Basket of Deplorables, 2016
A irresponsible, free-roaming male, considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993.
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9944

Postby trajan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I'll see 79% of an eclipse here in Ohio.

trajan
Established Member

Liked: 4340

Postby WheelBarrow » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 pm

You'll be disappointed on the 20th. ;)

August 21, 2017 is the date and I am in the totality zone. Got the glasses earlier in the week and it may even be clear!

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8787

Postby BeijaFlor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 am

WheelBarrow wrote:You'll be disappointed on the 20th. ;)

August 21, 2017 is the date and I am in the totality zone. Got the glasses earlier in the week and it may even be clear!

Oops - Thanks for pointing out my mistake! (Fixed it, with credit.)

My neighborhood is only getting to 80%, hence the road trip. (Kind of a Bucket List item.)

BeijaFlor
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Demosthenes » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

I might have been enthused to see this fifteen or twenty years ago.

For whatever reason, I find I just really don't give a fuck.

That's not a judgment on anyone else. I just don't have that much excitement for this like I might have in years past.

There's a part of me that wishes I gave somewhat of a fuck, but the rest of me has kicked that parts ass and killed it I think. What's left is 'meh, whatever'.

No, wait, there is still a part of me that wishes I gave a fuck. There it is.

But then, I'm not much for wishing/hoping either so maybe that's why it was left alive.

Arrogance in persons of merit affronts us more than arrogance in those without merit. Merit itself is an affront. - Nietzsche
-----
Women don't owe men anything. Not a smile. Not sex, Not even empathy or compassion. Men don't owe women anything either. Not interest. Not resources. And definitely not commitment or children.
-----
Somewhere in a lonely hotel room there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2AM.
------
Make sure you want it this way, 'cause when it's done this time, I'll be gone. - Benatar
Demosthenes
Freezing Cold Sanity

Liked: 28614

Postby Red Coolade » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:11 pm

My uncle brought a house in Portland two years ago; then moved there from Chicago. Yep! I'm there!!

As soon as I realized the path of totality is less than 30 miles away from Portland, I gave him a call. Come on up, he said; bring some glasses! Those things are on the way, and will be here tomorrow, and I scheduled last minute flights from Alaskan airlines.

Good thing: we're expecting a million or so people up there, and I had no idea all the rental cars and hotels are sold out.

It will be good viewing, though. Partly sunny skies to sunny.

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
I Corinthians 7:8
Red Coolade
Established Member

Liked: 2305

Postby No4Dad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I looked into it today and everything is booked up plus, with that, it sounds like the traffic is going to be horrible.

I think it's pretty cool, though

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 18177

Postby ernave » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:45 am

No4Dad wrote:I looked into it today and everything is booked up plus, with that, it sounds like the traffic is going to be horrible.

I got a hotel about 45 minutes outside of the corridor of totality. Then, I picked a small town near (but not exactly at) the center of the corridor and picked a public place where you can loiter indoors (mall, hospital, even an airport). My plan is to pack food and water, and drive to that place about four hours before the eclipse starts, then just hang out with a good book.

I think that's a pretty solid plan that anyone should be able to replicate if you're still interested in seeing it.

ernave
Established Member

Liked: 2815

Postby BeijaFlor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 am

ernave wrote:
No4Dad wrote:I looked into it today and everything is booked up plus, with that, it sounds like the traffic is going to be horrible.

I got a hotel about 45 minutes outside of the corridor of totality. Then, I picked a small town near (but not exactly at) the center of the corridor and picked a public place where you can loiter indoors (mall, hospital, even an airport). My plan is to pack food and water, and drive to that place about four hours before the eclipse starts, then just hang out with a good book.

I think that's a pretty solid plan that anyone should be able to replicate if you're still interested in seeing it.

Sounds like my plan -- except that I've booked two hotels, about 500 miles apart. Sunday morning, I'll check the forecasts, and I'll go to the one that has the best chance of clear-and-sunny on Monday afternoon.

BeijaFlor
MGTOW Veteran

Return to The Lads Night Inn