Knife Thread

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

Knife Thread

Postby hasmat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am

Knife thread

I collect knives. I always wear a fixed blade on my side. I don't want to get caught looking for a pair of scissors in a mass shooting. LOL.

I assume other MGTOW may have the same affinity towards tools they use that will probably be around long after they pass.

I like well made damascus steel. In my experience, it is the lamination of the different types of steels used that make it durable and beautiful. No two forgings are ever exactly alike.

I just bought a blank from a respected US producer so I can make my own knife. I've got the corby bolts, blue died maple burl handle wood and flat brass for a bolster. I've got plenty of heavy duty cowhide for a sheath. I'll post some pics along the way.

I would also like to try and forge a knife from a railroad spike. If I can find some marked "HC" (high carbon), it would be even better. I ordered some O1 and 1095 steel and will try those, too.

Most of the knives sold today are crap made of cheap overseas steel (tin can junk) and made overseas. They don't hold an edge or are so hard that they shatter like glass and cannot be sharpened by most users.

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Liked: 10357

Re: Knife Thread

Postby Pointerman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:51 pm

I don't collect them but I seem to have a large amount of them. Mostly hunting knifes as I hunt a lot. I have a few that are for other uses. I have a ulu knife that I got when I was up in Kodiak AK, I have used it for skinning deer and it works quite well.

I did buy a nice Damascus steel blank off EBay a couple of years ago thinking that I would hand make the handle myself. I think that will be a good spring/summer project this year if I can find where it is in all the boxes I have from getting rid of the ex.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30172

Postby hasmat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Alabama Damascus has nice blanks. If you need handle stock, let me know.

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby comedian » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Have a muella bowie knife. Looks some fucking nice. Haven't really put it to use yet being winter but it's been sharpened a few times. Only when I start to use it in the great outdoors will I be able to determine its quality.

PhilospherStoned: Sometimes it's easier to spend 10 minutes using your imagination and be done with it than spend hours entertaining an idiot.
comedian
Ghost GHOW

Liked: 5366

Postby comedian » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:38 pm

I like to wear mine by my side on the weekends when partying out in the countryside, even though it's winter we still party outside when we can and you never know when some malicious freak will show up looking for trouble.

PhilospherStoned: Sometimes it's easier to spend 10 minutes using your imagination and be done with it than spend hours entertaining an idiot.
comedian
Ghost GHOW

Postby WeeZul » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 pm

I don't collect knives per se, but I enjoy owning an assortment. I pick up knives when I have the cash and the hankering. Everything from Cold Steel sales (good for grabbing simple blades for hunting/camping/around the house) to local smiths' Damascus work.

Not a fan of guns. Knives are something else entirely; immeasurably useful, versatile, worth an investment, and even valuable barter in emergencies.

WeeZul
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 900

Postby comedian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Here is the muela knife I purchased not too long ago.

Attachments
muella.jpg
muella.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Last edited by comedian on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
comedian
Ghost GHOW

Postby Notorious GIT » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 am

I got to keep a couple of issued switch blades with a commander's memorandum that they were duty weapons, without which I'd have to get rid of them. One is a Benchmade. Love that thing. I have had it for 8 or 9 years, and I have NEVER sharpened it. Just looking at it cuts you.

Also the SOG Seal Pup was my go to fixed blade.

I also managed to get my grubby dick beaters on a Benchmade 42 balisong. Amazing what they'll let you buy at a gun store when you show military ID. That sucker... let's just say I learned real the fuck fast not to practice any tricky moves without using my bottle opener balisong to practice a LOT first.

For my throwers, I like the Colt CT18 thrower. Mine have a 5" blade and are weighted to fly straight, not turn.

For my next acquisition I would like a 10" kukri. Some blades say, "Don't fuck with me." That blade says, "Please, oh PLEASE fuck with me."

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire

Liked: 37872

Postby Entreri » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Notorious GIT wrote:Amazing what they'll let you buy at a gun store when you show military ID.

Or you live in the US. Psycho Hellbitch bought a butterfly knife at a gun show in Ohio. And a stun gun. Different shows.

10mm or GTFO.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 19105

Postby Live Free or Die » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:51 pm

In New Hampshire, you can carry ANY knife ANYWHERE except federal property.

A bachelor is a man who has deprived a woman of a divorce.
Live Free or Die
Provider = Sucker

Liked: 2772

Postby hasmat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Here is a picture of the last one that I did. Alabama Damascus blade with (4) layers of 5160 oil hardening high carbon, (3) layers 203E low carbon nickel steel, (3) layers of 52100, and (3) layers of 15N20. The steel is forged out and folded 5 times to give you 416 layers.

The handle is birdseye hard maple with finger grooves and 6 coats of clear gloss lacquer. The pins are aluminum soffitt nails. They sand off easy without leaving a burn mark and really hold the handles on tight.

I found a supplier of NOS sheaths made for the Shrade Sharpfinger that this blade is patterned after.

knife and sheath.jpg
knife and sheath.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3654 times

Last edited by hasmat on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: trying to add pictures, not working

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby hasmat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah!!! Pictures work again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby demonsgate » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:02 am

Awesome that maple looks great.

Beyond all nightmares I met my fate
An ancient passage surrounded by hate
Scared I was with my hand on my cross
I went into the Demons gate.
demonsgate
RESIGNED

Liked: 13966

Postby hasmat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Thank you.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby bubbagumpshrimp » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 pm

I've got a CRKT M-16. That's a pretty nice little knife, for the money.

bubbagumpshrimp
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1740

Postby Knightscribe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 pm

That's some impressive work, Hazmat, that blade looks awesome! That from the railroad tie?

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." Carl G. Jung

"I'm done with the bad-boys."="The bad-boys are done with me."
Knightscribe
Established Member

Liked: 3376

Postby hasmat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks, no, purchased blade. Still wanting to do the tie blades.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby flintlock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:58 pm

I have a small collection of one knife: a recently bought 4" mora HD. I'm reluctant to carry it with me in public to practice bush skills because it's illegal to carry a blade more than 3 inches long in public without good reason.

I want to eventually buy a full tang blade with a finger guard. I don't think I'll stray from the scandi grind though.

When I see coated knives, I always think that surely it's better to have a polished metal finish so that the blade can be used as a reflective surface for signalling.

Also, nice knife hasmat, I've never seen anything like that before.

Last edited by flintlock on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Misogynist: A man who hates women as much as women hate one another"

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard"

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos"

"Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too"
Henry L. Mencken

"Feminism is a movement that thrives on its own failures; hence, it is very difficult to reverse
F R Devlin
flintlock
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6816

Postby hasmat » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks, bro.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby WeeZul » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 pm

For fellow knife aficionados, I present my latest acquisition: A bone-handled Viking seax.

gr2a.jpg
gr2a.jpg (163.3 KiB) Viewed 3540 times

Hand-forged by a local bladesmith.

WeeZul
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 900

Postby Lone_Wolf » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:43 am

I have a few knives, mostly folders, but my EDC (when not at work) is the Buck 110.

Lone_Wolf

Liked: 422

Postby demonsgate » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:04 am

Nice job Hasmat that maple is awesome.

Beyond all nightmares I met my fate
An ancient passage surrounded by hate
Scared I was with my hand on my cross
I went into the Demons gate.
demonsgate
RESIGNED

Liked: 13966

Postby WakingUp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:14 pm

I just bought an everyday carry that I'm really happy with. Notice the glass breaker on the butt end too.

http://www.amazon.com/Mtech-Rescue-Modi ... B00UPBJ5FA

Pictures below.

k1.JPG
k1.JPG (300.39 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

k2.JPG
k2.JPG (676.3 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

k3.JPG
k3.JPG (593.05 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

k4.JPG
k4.JPG (527.72 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

k5.JPG
k5.JPG (633.68 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

WakingUp
P4P Expert

Liked: 2286

Postby Morgu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:47 pm

This is more or less what I carry:

EMT rescue tool:
http://www.amazon.com/EMT-EMS-Rescue-Kn ... escue+tool

Most of the knives I have are folders, with the exception of one fixed blade.

The fixed blade came with a pretty good sheath, which I am planning on soaking in olive oil. Supposedly the oil will help preserve both the sheath, and the knife.

EDIT: Removed the off topic bit, and added something more on topic.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 14772

Postby EddieS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm a bit of a collector also. I have several of these, so one is always nearby: https://ontarioknife.com/fixed-blades/b ... ath-detail

One in the car, one in the shed, on on the backpack, couple in the house. Super tough multi use knife. Decent short sticker in a pinch also. The old bayonet or kabar is preferable though. I love the blackbird. Its never let me down.

I have made a couple of leather sheaths. But the hard sheath is avail, and is probably the best option.

For pocket carry I use a spyderco dragonfly or stretch in zdp-189 depending on where I am going.

I always carry my sharpfinger if I'm out hunting. Love that knife.

Sharpening is something I love doing. I find it therapeutic. I have a wicked edge. Its great for scary hair whittling sharp kitchen knives, and more standard shaped blades. But for curvier stuff, and machetes etc... I use glass sheets and wet dry sandpaper, and a couple of Japanese water stones.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15541

Next

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors