Surfcasting rod on the river. Am I crazy?

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

Surfcasting rod on the river. Am I crazy?

Postby MrPolityczny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:19 am

Well... from long time I was thinking about proper fishing rod to cast heavy leads to the main current of the Vistula. After long thinking and researching subject I was convinced that only long (about 15ft) and strong rod with good casting potential will be proper solution. Unfortunately I have found only surfcasting rods which meet that criteria.

After some deliberation I decided to buy Penn Squadron Surf rod, ordered it and I when I saw it first time I must confess it frighten me :shock: :oops: Even my heavy feeder rod with casting weight up to 150g look like willow twig in comparison to this broomstick with rings.

I was truly concerned about sensitivity of the tip but two test sessions convinced me that my fears were unfounded. Small certa and baby catfish could shake this rod with ease (suicidal gudgeon could not ;)).

So... sometimes crazy ideas works pretty well :mrgreen:

Of course I need proper reel to make this rod fully operational and I am considering that this beauty will be good choice...

What do you guys think about it?

PS.
How many of you guys try to put raw chicken leaver on the hook? Many small catfishes have got daymares ( :lol:) related to this bait :mrgreen:

"Love: A radioactive element with a half life of 6 months." ~Merlin

"Skipper, our intel shows that there's one sure way to a female's heart. You start with a four-inch incision..."
- Kowalski
MrPolityczny
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 17989

Re: Surfcasting rod on the river. Am I crazy?

Postby hasmat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 am

We have huge catfish here and often use stinkbait to catch them. It has chicken livers in it.

We use the big rods for musky and pike, too.

I'm still not a fan of open face reels. Never learned to use them properly.

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Liked: 10357

Re: Surfcasting rod on the river. Am I crazy?

Postby MrPolityczny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:26 pm

hasmat wrote:We have huge catfish here and often use stinkbait to catch them. It has chicken livers in it.

There are many monster catfishes in Vistula but those small ones are real plague and pain in the ass. They do not know any principles. Just imagine you are seating on the bank (and it is noon) waiting for big bream with few maggots on the hook and you catch a motherfucker like that...

hasmat wrote:I'm still not a fan of open face reels. Never learned to use them properly.

Well I do not know how to use multiplier either. Cultural differences :)

And for brothers from UK raw leaver is also great bait for a chub (tested myself) and eel (heard) :ugeek:

"Love: A radioactive element with a half life of 6 months." ~Merlin

"Skipper, our intel shows that there's one sure way to a female's heart. You start with a four-inch incision..."
- Kowalski
MrPolityczny
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 17989

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors