How the fuck did they get there?

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

How the fuck did they get there?

Postby hasmat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:30 am

When I bought my property, there was a small farm pond, choked with cattails, less than a foot deep.
It froze solid every year.

I had it dug out, enlarged and cleaned out.

This year, besides the frogs, I have a booming population of shiner minnows.

The pond is far away from any other water source and not connected to any.

How the fuck did they get in there? I'm not complaining, just curious.

I guess the question of weather my pond can support fish has been answered.

I have never seen any waterfowl in there, probably due to lack of cover and the dogs. The old wives tale of eggs on birds feet doesn't fly with me in my case.

I've added no plants or anything else.

Any ideas?

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Liked: 10357

Re: How the fuck did they get there?

Postby EddieS » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:53 am

Birds are the major way this happens. If its this fish: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_shiner . Then it lays vast numbers of small eggs specifically designed to be sticky, and cling to vegetation. I don't imagine mammals would be a viable option. But possible.

Storms, particularly tornadoes readily spread fish eggs. But I don't imagine you are in tornado country if you are in the native range of that fish.

My money is on birds. This fish eggs seem to be a pretty popular food source for many birds, and sticky by design.

A bird would only need to touch down briefly at night to wash off a few eggs. Even a large insect could carry a few of these eggs.

Nature hates a vacuum. :P

Last edited by EddieS on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15547

Postby hasmat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 am

EddieS wrote:Birds are the major way this happens. If its this fish: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_shiner . Then it lays vast numbers of small eggs specifically designed to be sticky, and cling to vegetation. I don't imagine mammals would be a viable option. But possible.

Storms, particularly tornadoes readily spread fish eggs. But I don't imagine you are in tornado country if you are in the native range of that fish.

My money is on birds. This fish eggs seem to be a pretty popular food source for many birds, and sticky by design.

A bird would only need to touch down briefly at night to wash off a few eggs.

Mine appear to be common shiners, but similar.

I've never seen a bird with webbed feet, or any bird, in the pond.

Maybe. I did see a turtle in there?

We are at the far north edge of tornado alley, but none too close since I've been here.

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby EddieS » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:06 am

The eggs get sucked up by the tornado, then travel many many miles at altitude before dropping out with precipitation or whatever.

Its been known to rain actual fish on rare occasion in some parts of oz. Many miles inland from where a waterspout has been off the coast.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amanu.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_of_animals

If you have a turtle. Then he could be the culprit also.

Uluru/ Ayers rock form puddles with fish in them during the wet season. Its fuckin bullshit that they can get up there. But they do.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15547

Postby Merlin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:59 am

Every pond will eventually attract at least a wading bird or a goose or other waterfowl. My dad's pond had a Heron that would come by in the first light of dawn and eat a frog or two every morning. Geese would stop for an hour or so then move on. The Heron started to wade in the pond from close to the first day it had any significant water in it.

Once you have bait fish you will get fish eating birds. After that you'll eventually get predator fish too. It might take a few years but eventually one of those birds will carry in a few eggs from higher on the food chain.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 10220

Postby Calloway » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Liked: 14187

Postby fester » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm with the bird theory, fish eggs could be transported by being stuck to their feathers, or they could shit out some undigested eggs that they have eaten.

I remember making a small plastic pond in my yard, and put a couple of lilypads in it. One morning I came out and there was a green frog on the lilypad. He found a nice place to hang out.

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
fester
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 26487

Postby hasmat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Merlin wrote:Every pond will eventually attract at least a wading bird or a goose or other waterfowl. My dad's pond had a Heron that would come by in the first light of dawn and eat a frog or two every morning. Geese would stop for an hour or so then move on. The Heron started to wade in the pond from close to the first day it had any significant water in it.

Once you have bait fish you will get fish eating birds. After that you'll eventually get predator fish too. It might take a few years but eventually one of those birds will carry in a few eggs from higher on the food chain.

I didn't wait for nature. There are now crappies, bluegill and largemouth bass to help with the minnow population.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby mongolking » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Friggin amazing. I think it's time I set a plastic pond in and watched what happens.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25011

Postby hasmat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 pm

mongolking wrote:Friggin amazing. I think it's time I set a plastic pond in and watched what happens.

It's been fun. I have faith that the little 1/4 acre pond will provide some fish meals and relaxation. And water for the garden if it gets too dry. The bass will never eat all the frogs and tadpoles.

It's all clay here. Just gotta dig a hole. It'll fill up shortly.

The old guy at the fish hatchery agreed with the bird theory. My pond is bigger than his (pond envy) and he had his full of 10 inch trout.
Nice guy who I will visit again, soon.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby flintlock » Thu May 26, 2016 11:34 pm

Interesting thread!

I had a kid ask me a similar question, how separate ponds end up with fish , and I didn't think it was birds, I thought it was due to flooding. I had no idea a body of water could be populated so quickly. I thought I was seeing the result of hundreds of year of chance fish flood water migration and spawning, or introduced fish.

I now know better.

"Misogynist: A man who hates women as much as women hate one another"

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard"

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos"

"Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too"
Henry L. Mencken

"Feminism is a movement that thrives on its own failures; hence, it is very difficult to reverse
F R Devlin
flintlock
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6816

Postby hasmat » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Went fishing in the pond yesterday. Caught 20 fish and the biggest was a bass that was over a foot long and put up a hell of a fight on light tackle. It was a blast.

I installed an aerator and will be stocking some more fingerlings soon.

Did find a little bass about two inches long, so there is natural reproduction.

I threw back what I caught and none were stunted.

The ten inch perch I caught indicates that tadpoles are a tasty treat.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Postby mongolking » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:21 pm

hasmat wrote:Went fishing in the pond yesterday. Caught 20 fish and the biggest was a bass that was over a foot long and put up a hell of a fight on light tackle. It was a blast.

I installed an aerator and will be stocking some more fingerlings soon.

Did find a little bass about two inches long, so there is natural reproduction.

I threw back what I caught and none were stunted.

The ten inch perch I caught indicates that tadpoles are a tasty treat.

Have you noticed any change in mosquito populations with having a pond? I suspect a largish body of water like that would be ideal for mosquito breeding, but with fish in it I wonder at how effective they are in bringing mosquito numbers down.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25011

Postby hasmat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Between the frogs and minnows the mosquitos weren't bad this year and it was very wet.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors