What the Stork Brought

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

What the Stork Brought

Postby mongolking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Well, maybe not the stork. More like a tui.

Tui_Chicks.png
Tui_Chicks.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 2583 times

I almost stepped on it yesterday on my drive. At first I thought it was just another dead bird, and carried on with my walk. A few hours later I remembered it, and thought I had better bury it - but it wasn't where I saw it anymore. It had moved under my scooter. That's when it clicked it probably wasn't dead yet. Probably fallen out of its nest, neck broken and in agony.

At a closer look, it was near hairless, squatting on two feeble little legs, and shivering in the breeze. It looked pretty disgusting. But there seemed to be life in it yet. So inside it went, into a plastic box with some straw in. Almost immediately it jumped up, opened its mouth and presented a funnel like hole into which it clearly expected something be dropped.

The best I could do was fish out some chicken bits in my pot of chicken curry, chop in some pieces of peach, mix in some oatmeal, some yoghurt and a little brewing sugar, stir it up in some water, then pour the mixture down its cavernous gullet. It almost immediately closed its eyes and had a snooze. About a hour later, it stood up, opened its gob again, and fired out a powerful bird turd.

That'was yesterday. It's still alive a day later on the same diet - with some chopped up hard-boiled egg mixed in - and looks even more lively today.

Wasn't quite sure where to place this, but figured someone who's raised baby chicks may be passing and have some good tips.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25004

Re: What the Stork Brought

Postby Schattenmann » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:18 pm

I have a pet bird, so great job doing this.

Do you have pet shops or vets you can phone around where you live?

I do not even know what kind of bird this would be, but generally birds are much tougher then we give them credit for (can stomach alot of different food short term, survive in different climate fairly well if their plumage has time to adapt etc).

The only thing I can remember is to watch out for drafts and to feed it religiously every few hours at least.

Schattenmann
Established Member

Liked: 3089

Postby EddieS » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Are you sure it's a tui?

You can probably get some generic formula and feed by dropper so you can control the amounts and ensure proper nutrition. Excessive salt can be a real problem for some nectar feeders. Birds this young will eagerly eat themselves to death. The general rule I follow if I can't find out for sure is to feed somewhere around one quarter the volume of the head. But you may need to do it up to a dozen times a day. Which replicates how their parents would feed them. Lots of smaller meals. To prevent their gut being overloaded.
Water requirements vary significantly between species also.

Last edited by EddieS on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15528

Postby mongolking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Schattenmann wrote:I have a pet bird, so great job doing this.

Do you have pet shops or vets you can phone around where you live?

I do not even know what kind of bird this would be, but generally birds are much tougher then we give them credit for (can stomach alot of different food short term, survive in different climate fairly well if their plumage has time to adapt etc).

The only thing I can remember is to watch out for drafts and to feed it religiously every few hours at least.

Thanks - I've got it away from drafts and with a desk lamp about 20 cms above it to keep it warm. Tuis are nectar and insect eaters I think - there are hundreds of them living about me. They seem to especially like flax flowers.

No pet shops or vets for quite a distance - but I'll keep feeding it every few hours like you advise.

EDIT: If you look closely at the photo I posted above, you'll see the swollen feature about the bird's throat. It doesn't look quite natural to me, but I know very little about birds. Is it normal?

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Postby mongolking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:26 pm

EddieS wrote:Are you sure it's a tui?

You can probably get some generic formula and feed by dropper so you can control the amounts and ensure proper nutrition. Birds this young will eagerly eat themselves to death.

Yep. There's a mother tui watching me very closely every time I go out - and I can hear the other youngsters right above where I found this one. I think it landed on my scooter - which was covered - and would have broken its fall quite well.

It also looks exactly like the images I've just looked at on Google for tui chicks.

Thanks for the caution of eating themselves to death. This one looks like it would try and eat my dinner.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Postby TH49 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:01 am

Never heard of a tui and had to look them up. Quite attractive looking and they can imitate human speech like a parrot?
Got a nice companion there until he can move around and start crapping on everything ;)

TH49
Established Member

Liked: 1443

Postby The-Bourbonator » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:57 am

Supposedly Tui's are pretty intelligent.

When it grows up, you can teach it how to fetch you beers and yell obsenities at people!

Here's a tip:

Feed it beer to make it strong!

My grandpa did that for me when I was a lil baby, and I turned out to be a HIGHLY functioning psychopath.

I can see into forever!

I'm tellin ya, beer is totes good for babies.

"One of the best things about being a hardcore cynic is that you are seldom disappointed and almost never wrong."
-MPAV8R

"Some men are domesticated and some are civilized."
-DrunkenMaster

To salvage what humanity remains within us, we must learn to embrace the wildness within us. We must plumb the depths of our ancestral memory to seek who and what we truly are, and leave the ploughshare behind us forever.
-MPAV8R

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
-Marcus Aurelius
The-Bourbonator
The Half-Blood Prince

Liked: 9188

Postby EddieS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:35 am

For those interested. NZ is an amazing and unique place for birds. Due to a complete absence of terrestrial mammals (NZ has only 3 native species of mammal, all bats) the birds have evolved without significant predatory pressure. There are more species of flightless bird there than anywhere else. Even flightless parrots.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15528

Postby Schattenmann » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:28 am

mongolking wrote:EDIT: If you look closely at the photo I posted above, you'll see the swollen feature about the bird's throat. It doesn't look quite natural to me, but I know very little about birds. Is it normal?

I had to google that word but every bird has a goiter just like every grass eater has a rumen. Birds pre digest and store food there which is why the naked young birds are usually seen as wierd looking by people who favor cats or such things.

Apart from that I have no idea about baby bird nutrition apart from purchasing it in a pet shop. If it feeds on nectar maybe some honey water for fluids?

*Edit: Douglas Adams: Last chance to see - Heartbeats in the night (Kakapos) Awwwww :)*

Schattenmann
Established Member

Postby Morgu » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:31 am

The-Bourbonator wrote:Supposedly Tui's are pretty intelligent.

When it grows up, you can teach it how to fetch you beers root beers and yell obsenities at people!

Here's a tip:

Feed it beers root beers to make it strong!

I'm tellin ya, beer root beer is totes good for babies.

Fixed for you. ;)

if Tui's are nectar eaters, what about mixing a little honey into some water? Maybe use it as a treat for the fellow.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 14747

Postby Charlie Horse » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:49 am

Well I haven't done any research on this at all-- I've never seen that kind of bird.

I've raised a Caique parrot from that phase. I had a baby parrot mix and made a sort of babyfood consistancy mash. The key was to heat it up to a certain temperature. Shove the syringe in its mouth and fill its crop. Never overfill the crop! Thats the bulge on its neck. Birds have a way of storing food in the crop.

Now, if this is a nectar eating bird, it may not be the best idea to feed it the parrot baby food... or what you're feeding it for that matter. Here is my suggestion: If the "Tui" is a true nectar eater then it sounds like it feeds on the same thing as a "lorikeet" eats. Lorikeets are common domestic parrots so often there are lorikeet nectar mixes at pet stores. To top it off, I'm sure there is a TON of online information regarding the care of baby lorikeets. Good luck!

Charlie Horse
PROSPECT

Liked: 199

Postby The-Bourbonator » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 pm

Morgu wrote:

When it grows up, you can teach it how to fetch you beers root beers and yell obsenities at people!

Here's a tip:

Fixed for you. ;)

--Morgu

"One of the best things about being a hardcore cynic is that you are seldom disappointed and almost never wrong."
-MPAV8R

"Some men are domesticated and some are civilized."
-DrunkenMaster

To salvage what humanity remains within us, we must learn to embrace the wildness within us. We must plumb the depths of our ancestral memory to seek who and what we truly are, and leave the ploughshare behind us forever.
-MPAV8R

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
-Marcus Aurelius
The-Bourbonator
The Half-Blood Prince

Liked: 9188

Postby mongolking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:43 pm

Morgu wrote:

Here's a tip:

Fixed for you. ;)

if Tui's are nectar eaters, what about mixing a little honey into some water? Maybe use it as a treat for the fellow.

--Morgu

Good thought Morgu. I added some honey in to the mixture yesterday, and it seems to be thriving.
Since these birds are nectar and insect eaters, I'll keep the diet simple - honey, chopped up boiled egg, and any insects I can find about the place.

Thanks to all for the tips.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Postby hasmat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Ideal temp is around 100F.

A mixture of what they normally eat, all ground up, is all they get from nature.
Seems what you are doing is working.

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Liked: 10357

Postby Schattenmann » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks for the update - I have to admit I was anxious to hear about your new buddy.

Schattenmann
Established Member

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors