Getting to be that time fellas....

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

Getting to be that time fellas....

Postby Pointerman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Getting the itch again....

Took the bow out and tuned it up. Season starts 9/14 here for deer.

Dove season is already started.

Then my favorite pheasant/quail 11/14-1/31/16 daily bag limits of 4 pheasant and 8 quail.

Probably do rifle season too for deer. Just not on the opener. Guys that only shoot once a year scare me.

If it stays the same as last year, can harvest 8 deer total if you get all the tags you can. They actually have a new season a pre-rut non-antler season to manage the doe's.

What is your hunting spots looking like? Pheasants are reported up 51% from last year and quail up 48% from last year too.

That is great as it was slim pickings last year.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30164

Re: Getting to be that time fellas....

Postby FapMaster » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Just got back from a dove hunt, dove are scarce in South Texas this year. Usually see plenty of them.
I did kick up a covey of quail, though, not near as many of them as years gone by here either.

Looking forward to deer season now.

No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree. -W. C. Fields
FapMaster
Established Member

Liked: 3088

Postby EddieS » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Its been a pretty decent year here. Lots of deer around. Our best season for deer is coming to an end. I made and I bagged 3 nice doe a couple of months ago. Made a heap of nice sausage. I kept one, and traded one for some nice pork and beef (see below).

Got a couple of really nice young buck roos too. Took the fillets off, made most into sausage. Those things are so lean, most of the meat needs to be sausage. Not really much meat on roo. But most venison lovers would probably find it very tasty. Much like venison, it needs to be cooked correctly. Its very very lean.

I've cut right back on my rifles over the last year also. I just have the 12 ga, 308 and 22/250 now. Trying to be more practical there. There isn't anything I can't take with those around here.

Pigs are always around. Finding a healthy edible one is not easy, so not worth it. I know a farmer who raises some real nice free range pigs and dexter cattle nearby. He gets venison. I get beef and pork. Win win.

Freezer is very well stocked. I won't be going hungry any time soon :)

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14629

Postby Entreri » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Yes. FUCK yes. FUCK YES! Kill deer. Kill every fucking one of those fucking scumbags.

Every deer that gets it's birth certificate cancelled by a hunter is one less deer that is destroying cars by running in front of them.

Kill. Them. ALL.

Life is a game that you lose by playing by the rules. Luckily, the only time it's too late to start winning is right at the end.

"Save yourself, never go back into a burning building or a burning society."
--toolate

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 17801

Postby EddieS » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Entreri wrote:Yes. FUCK yes. FUCK YES! Kill deer. Kill every fucking one of those fucking scumbags.

Every deer that gets it's birth certificate cancelled by a hunter is one less deer that is destroying cars by running in front of them.

Kill. Them. ALL.

I take it you've hit a deer before ent.

You should come take a spin in the aussie outback.

53402507.jpg
53402507.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby Pointerman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:38 pm

EddieS wrote:
Entreri wrote:Yes. FUCK yes. FUCK YES! Kill deer. Kill every fucking one of those fucking scumbags.

Kill. Them. ALL.

I take it you've hit a deer before ent.

Best not drive around the Aussie outback then.

53402507.jpg

How they taste?

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30164

Postby Entreri » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:46 pm

EddieS wrote:I take it you've hit a deer before ent.

I got one Monday night, about 20 miles from where I'm working this week.

A $5 deer fucking demolished the front end of a $50,000 truck. Body shop gave me an estimate of a few hundred over six grand. My insurance company is going to love me. I switched to them in June, and they're already paying out over 6k.

And of course it was a doe. I've hit 4 deer in my life (3 since January 2013), and EVERY. FUCKING. ONE. of them were does. When I see a roadkilled deer, 99% of the time it's a doe. When I see a deer that got hit by a semi, it's always a doe. I've seen deer that got hit by fucking FREIGHT TRAINS.....take a guess which gender they were?

It's something about herbivores and omnivores. The females are FUCKING stupid. Good only for breeding, eating, wool, milk, or pulling a plow/riding/etc. Seems like with carnivores, the females are the smart ones.

Last edited by Entreri on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a game that you lose by playing by the rules. Luckily, the only time it's too late to start winning is right at the end.

"Save yourself, never go back into a burning building or a burning society."
--toolate

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 17801

Postby EddieS » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 pm

How they taste?

Really nice. Slightly more gamey and quite a bit leaner than venison. Similar taste, similar. There are two really nice fillets/straps that are good for roasting. I like to wrap them in bacon, and pastry and do like a roo Wellington with the fillets. A nice thin gravy..... Delicious. Rumps are good for steaks.

Much like venison, easy to ruin if overcooking or using the wrong cut. So stewing, braising and sausages are the go for lesser cuts. Tail soup..... Yum.

They really are an excellent meat animal. Incredibly hardy. Not too difficult to hunt. Manageable size. Basically immune to worms and parasites. Why it isn't more popular I don't know. I don't imagine farming them would be practical. Keeping them fenced would be impossible.

I got one Monday night, about 20 miles from where I'm working this week.

A $5 deer fucking demolished the front end of a $50,000 truck.

And of course it was a doe. I've hit 4 deer in my life (3 since January 2013), and EVERY. FUCKING. ONE. of them were does. When I see a roadkilled deer, 99% of the time it's a doe. When I see a deer that got hit by a semi, it's always a doe. I've seen deer that got hit by fucking FREIGHT TRAINS.....take a guess which gender they were?

It's something about herbivores and omnivores. The females are FUCKING stupid. Good only for breeding, eating, wool, milk, or pulling a plow/riding/etc. Seems like with carnivores, the females are the smart ones.

That sucks hard. I know the feeling though. Hit a couple of bullocks over the years. Day ruined. Truck ruined. Its shitty.

Roos are the other way around quite often. Dusk, night and dawn are the danger times. A small mob will eat by the roadside. Do when a car comes, the females will usually move away early. The buck stays behind. Kinda like a protector. But often he will take off at the last moment. Half the time straight into the path of the vehicle. Stupid fucker.

So when in roo country and night, basically you have to be tailgating a semi. Or doing 60kph or less. Seeing them doesn't stop you hitting them.

At certain times in certain places they are literally everywhere. A truck driver in those places can kill hundreds in a year. Lol

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby MrPolityczny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:55 am

Kill. Them. ALL.

So... I suppose there is not any not heavy camouflaged deer in Montana any more ;) :D

Entreri you are left hand of Darwinian Evolution :mrgreen:

"Love: A radioactive element with a half life of 6 months." ~Merlin

"Skipper, our intel shows that there's one sure way to a female's heart. You start with a four-inch incision..."
- Kowalski
MrPolityczny
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 17450

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors