Keeping the bugs at bay

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

Keeping the bugs at bay

Postby mountainman » Mon May 29, 2017 12:14 pm

My ATV is broken so I've been hiking my way into town. This morning I set out and attracted a swarm of deer flies. Very annoying, but I was ready for them. I got out and donned a baseball cap that I'd soaked with permethrin:

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP657-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVYU

It really worked! Previously I tried spraying the cap with DEET but it ended up oily and smelly and didn't work very well. Permethrin dries dry and odorless.

mountainman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 984

Re: Keeping the bugs at bay

Postby Notorious GIT » Mon May 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Prior to deployment, we got special bags to soak our uniforms in permethrin. This is the first I've heard the word permethrin since, and honestly I didn't recall what we soaked them in til I saw it.

Another trick that works on a lot of bugs is to hold a lit cigarette (or smoke it, but if you don't, just bum one and hold it). Let the smoke get all up on you and your clothes and a lot of bugs in the contiguous US in all the states I've been leave you be.

This worked even when I wasn't smoking, and I'd just use one I held kind of stooped over it while it burned to get the smoke on me.

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire

Liked: 40098

Postby The Signal » Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Just be careful not to spray on yourself; put it on your clothing only, and then only on the outside of the clothing, and always let that clothing dry fully before wearing it. Permethrin is not friendly to human skin.

Feminism means we only ever blame one sex for anything.
The Signal
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9673

Postby MrPolityczny » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

This should help....

Find it, dry it up and put in warm milk poured to the plate. Polish name of that mushroom is literally "fly killer".

PS.
Don't drink that milk later ;)

"Love: A radioactive element with a half life of 6 months." ~Merlin

"Skipper, our intel shows that there's one sure way to a female's heart. You start with a four-inch incision..."
- Kowalski
MrPolityczny
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 19150

Postby Entreri » Wed May 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Garlic is supposed to repel biting bugs. Mint too, supposedly. And citrus and eucalyptus, they don't like those either.

10mm or GTFO.

Two to the chest, one to the head.

Only hits count.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 20727

Postby Morgu » Wed May 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Entreri wrote:Garlic is supposed to repel biting bugs. Mint too, supposedly. And citrus and eucalyptus, they don't like those either.

I noticed a large drop in the bugs flying nearby when I added garlic powder to breakfast.

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15980

Postby MrPolityczny » Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Morgu wrote:I noticed a large drop in the bugs flying nearby when I added garlic powder to breakfast.

Most women react similarly, I checked ;) On topic, this plant rubbed into the skin repels ticks and other vermin.

"Love: A radioactive element with a half life of 6 months." ~Merlin

"Skipper, our intel shows that there's one sure way to a female's heart. You start with a four-inch incision..."
- Kowalski
MrPolityczny
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 19150

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm now in the insect repellent manufacturing business. The $15 24oz spray bottle of 0.5% permethrin mentioned in my first post contains 0.12oz of permethrin net. A $25 32oz bottle of 36.8% permethrin:

https://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36-8-permethrin-Quart-6666105/dp/B0048EY6KY

Contains 11.78oz of permethrin net. I can dilute it with water to make 24oz of 0.5% solution for 25 cents. Reusable chemical-resistant spray bottles are about $2.50 each.

I'm making my first batch this evening and giving bottles to my friends and neighbors.

mountainman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 984

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors