SS Tumblers for Brass

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

SS Tumblers for Brass

Postby The Signal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Allo,

I seek advice from fellow gun nuts, esp. those who've used stainless steel tumblers. I'm looking to buy one, but have no idea which among them is the best deal. I want good capacity, as I have plenty of centerfire brass; I want durability, as I hate buying the same stupid thing twice; and I want to avoid blowing a ton of money on vacuous "name brand" bragging rights (yeah, I'm looking at you, Giraud--yer goddamned right I am). I'm already set for the media, the magnet, the Lemishine, and the little hand tumbler for separating out the brass from the media--now I just need the machine.

Anyone here know where I might go?

Feminism means we only ever blame one sex for anything.
The Signal
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9031

Re: SS Tumblers for Brass

Postby Entreri » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Fuck all cunts.

It's pretty damn hard to go wrong with anything made by Dillon.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/case-pr ... t_8_8.html

My progressive press is a Dillon 650, and until I can get the kind of machinery that Lake City, Remington, Winchester, IMI, etc, have, I don't see any need to get a different press.

One thing you may consider, instead of a tumbler, is a sonic washer. Basically you put water + cleaning agent in, add brass to the basket, turn it on (with or without heat, as you choose), set the timer, and go have a sandwich or watch an episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog, Star Wars: Rebels (or The Clone Wars), or whatever your favorite 20-30 minute show is, take the brass out, rinse it, and leave it to dry.

Sure, it won't be as shiny as polishing, but it will be clean, and that's what matters.

10mm or GTFO.

Two to the chest, one to the head.

Only hits count.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 20122

Postby The Signal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:10 am

Thanks, Ent.

I've already tried the sonic cleaners and do not like that they change the composition of the alloy over time. I'll look hard at Dillon, though, so thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of them--their presses are the best out there.

Feminism means we only ever blame one sex for anything.
The Signal
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9031

Postby eric123 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:19 am

My Dillion bought in 1991 still works great...

eric123

Liked: 293

Postby Entreri » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 am

Fuck all cunts.

The Signal wrote:Thanks, Ent.

I've already tried the sonic cleaners and do not like that they change the composition of the alloy over time. I'll look hard at Dillon, though, so thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of them--their presses are the best out there.

I think it depends greatly on which cleaning solution you use. I haven't had any issues yet, but then, the brass that's gone thru the cleaner the most has maybe been thru 2-3 times. It's been reloaded a couple times, including back when I used to use an old dryer and a couple of buckets as a tumbler.

Now that's what I should have mentioned the first time....

If you have or can get an old dryer, they are great. It doesn't need to heat, just turn the drum. Then you drill a couple holes to mount a board to the drum, then mount a bucket to the board. Put a couple cable clamps or something on the board too. Then put a bucket with your brass into that bucket mounted in the dryer, and use bungee cords, straps, chains, whatever, to hold the one inside the other (that's what the cable clamps are for). Bungee cords are quickest and easiest. Then simply turn the dryer on to a timed cycle and leave it until it finishes. If the timer is also broke, set an alarm on your watch.

The good parts about the dryer-as-a-tumbler method are, a) the dryer can be free, or damn near free, if you or a friend has one that suddenly quits heating or you can find one being given away, or in a scrap yard, whatever, and b) you can do a LOT of brass in a (relatively) short time, it all just depends on the size of your bucket.

10mm or GTFO.

Two to the chest, one to the head.

Only hits count.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 20122

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors