Efficient home storage/organization

Tells us all about your home, apartment, condo, etc. improvements. Your tips on DIY are most welcome here.

Efficient home storage/organization

Postby ranome » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Having moved into an 800 sq. ft. apartment in the city has made me become more conscious of the use of space, and fitting much of what I have into that space has required some thought.

With floor space at a premium, it seemed to me that use of vertical space is important, hence, this for bike storage:

IMG_1701.jpg
IMG_1701.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

The exterior of a bedroom closet door becomes bicycle storage space. This is possible with door hooks from The Container Store, which anchor the door on the top and the bottom, holding the bike hook firmly in place and allowing the door to open and close as though the bike was not there.

IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

This is how the door hook holds the top of the door, once the hex screw that moves the brace that grips the door is tightened:

IMG_1703.jpg
IMG_1703.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

and the bottom:

IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_1704.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

Once I realized that any door could become storage, while not compromising the use of the door, I realized this is possible:

IMG_1705.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

This is the interior of a hall closet door turned completely into pegboard storage. It uses the same top and bottom door hooks as the bike rack, and mounts cut to fit segments of pegboard to the two vertical support bars.

The advantage of pegboard is that all your stuff is visible, so it's easy to find.

I was not satisfied with the metal brackets you buy to plug into the pegboard, however.

University of YouTube to the rescue: I saw how to do this:

IMG_1706.jpg
IMG_1706.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

IMG_1707.jpg
IMG_1707.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

This is a scrap piece of wood I had lying around. I marked lines 1 1/2 inches apart, three rows deep, and drilled a hole at each intersection. Next, I screwed two L-hooks into the back of the board, for insertion into the pegboard holes, and voilà! Instead of a cheesy wire tool holder that might hold 6 or 8 items, I have a tool shelf for pegboard that holds up to 36 items. I applied two coates of polyurethane, clear satin, to make it smooth and avoid splinters.

This is what it looks like with tools in it. Two-handled tools like pliers and wire cutters go on the front row. Single rod tools like screwdrivers and my soldering iron can go on the back.

IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

I screwed in two braces on the bottom that are flush to the edge that makes contact with the pegboard for weight support. The braces are not attached to the pegboard. They merely rest against it when in position:

IMG_1710.jpg
IMG_1710.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

That was September's project. October's was finished late last week. I'll post about it in a little while.

Meanwhile, the youtube video that inspired me to do this is here:

Fort, Fier et Fâché.
Tous ensemble. Tous Français. #FusilladesParis
L'égalité est un plat qui se mange froid.
ranome
MGTOW All-Star

Location: #JeSuisWhoeverGetsBombedNext -- On n'a pas besoin des «moments de silence.» Il faut faire du bruit.
Liked: 17392

Re: Efficient home storage/organization

Postby Eddie Willers » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:42 am

Nice!
I just moved into a tiny house - 550 sq.ft - and even though I've been living minimally/frugally for a good few years, I still wonder where the place for everything is so I can put it in its place.

A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4336

Postby Pointerman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:34 am

:lol: You forgot about your use of MANY Magnets brother.

The guy has shit stuck up with magnets EVERYWHERE! :lol:

Actually the dancing frog's apartment is kind of inspiring on what you can do with a limited space.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30172

Postby Phathack » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 pm

The landloard in me has to comment.

Most door hinges and doors, which are hollow core, are not designed to carry weight. Hanging stuff on the doors will cause the door to sag and eventually come off the hinges.

I have had door knobs ripped out of doors by elastic exercise bands and doors ripped off hinges by storage shelving attached to doors and loaded up with canned goods and other stuff. That's why the leases my tenants sign specifically forbids hanging stuff off the doors and attaching things to the door knobs.

:ugeek:

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8965

Postby ranome » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Phathack wrote:The landloard in me has to comment.

Most door hinges and doors, which are hollow core, are not designed to carry weight. Hanging stuff on the doors will cause the door to sag and eventually come off the hinges.

I have had door knobs ripped out of doors by elastic exercise bands and doors ripped off hinges by storage shelving attached to doors and loaded up with canned goods and other stuff. That's why the leases my tenants sign specifically forbids hanging stuff off the doors and attaching things to the door knobs.

:ugeek:

Your point is well taken. If these doors were the standard hollow wooden interior doors you see in newer construction that are hung on wooden (or less) doorframes, caution would be advised. Certainly, rows of canned goods would be a no go.

This building, however, was built in the 1940's. With as solid as it is, and with as well-maintained as it is, it will still be in use in the 2040's. The doors are metal, as are the door frames. Here is a magnet attached to the door frame to illustrate:

IMG_1717.jpg
IMG_1717.jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
IMG_1718.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

The pegboard frame was actually the first of the two I installed (the bike one came later), and I mistakenly thought I needed to take the door off the hinges to install it. That door was so heavy and sturdy that I almost couldn't put it back on the hinges without help. Seriously, that door must weigh at least 50 pounds.

That other good thing about the door being metal is magnets. Did someone say magnets?

Pointerman wrote::lol: You forgot about your use of MANY Magnets brother.

The guy has shit stuck up with magnets EVERYWHERE! :lol:

Actually the dancing frog's apartment is kind of inspiring on what you can do with a limited space.

My original thought was to hang the pegboard using magnets on the metal door. Finally, I decided that the door hooks would be more sturdy.

What Pointerman is referring to is what I've done with my kitchen. Counterspace is clear because I have utensils mounted on the refrigerator and microwave with magnets. Here is the side of the fridge. It holds my corkscrew, bottle opener, razor blade scraper and various utensils and cutting boards.

IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1719.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

The front of my fridge holds paper towel rack, spice rack, knife mount and various other utensils, all hung with magnets. The box of ziplock bags and aluminum foil are also mounted with magnets inside the box.

IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg (22.34 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

I did the same with my microwave, which holds thongs, can opener, a pizza cutter, Altoids, etc.

IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG (18.83 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

I'm not a big fan of the tiny house movement, but I do watch that show to get ideas about how to build stuff that has a dual purpose. What I built in my bedroom does that, and there are more plans to come. :D

Oh, and the landlord has seen all of this and thinks it's so cool that he wants to use my apartment to show prospective tenants how 800 sq. ft can be used.

Fort, Fier et Fâché.
Tous ensemble. Tous Français. #FusilladesParis
L'égalité est un plat qui se mange froid.
ranome
MGTOW All-Star

Location: #JeSuisWhoeverGetsBombedNext -- On n'a pas besoin des «moments de silence.» Il faut faire du bruit.
Liked: 17392

Return to Home Improvement