Office Renovation

Tells us all about your home, apartment, condo, etc. improvements. Your tips on DIY are most welcome here.

Office Renovation

Postby ranome » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:49 pm

This isn't really a "how-to" post, because I don't really know how to.

But I try. I haven't posted all that I've done in my apartment, but here is what I have posted: https://www.mgtowhq.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 58#p125041

And here is my latest effort: I have taken over an office suite next door to that of my firm, and made it my own. It was a dreary, late '70's drop-ceiling, carpet on concrete dry wall dungeon.

I pulled up the carpet. I painted three walls camel and a fourth "accent wall" burgundy. I put down a laminate floor, and I built a desk. This is the result, with overhead light off:

office 1.jpg
office 1.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 276 times

. . . and overhead light on . . .

office 2.jpg
office 2.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 276 times

The floor is oak laminate from Lumber Liquidators that cost $410 for 350 ft sq. The "desk" is pine board supported by 2x4's screwed together to make legs, framed by MDF board on three sides. The front is 1 1/2 inch pine board attached to mdf with liquid nails. Some of the horizontal boards on the front are bare. Some are glued to 1/4 inch mdf. Others are glued to 1/2 inch mdf. That makes some of the boards stick out from the others and gives it that textured look. String LED lights help cast the shadows on the differences in texture.

office 3.jpg
office 3.jpg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 276 times

office 4.jpg
office 4.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 276 times

The top consists of three 1 x 12 boards, joined together from below with a 2' x 4' mdf board. It is stained with a walnut stain and lacquered with 5 coats of polyurethane. The edges of the top are routed with a 5/32" Roman Ogee bit. I was not pleased with how much that board bent on the edges, so I attached a second 1x4 below it, also cut with the Roman Ogee bit, and I screwed it upside down below the original edge. This gave it additional sturdiness.

This was my first time handling a router. I spent an hour last Sunday opening the box, reading the manual to see how to secure the bit and adjust the cutting depth, etc.

Also, this "desk" is enclosed on three sides. The side where I sit is open. I did not know how to build drawers that lock, so this thing is built around a locking two-drawer file cabinet.

office 5.jpg
office 5.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Every day I sit at this desk, I will feel a sense of accomplishment, and it will remind me of the time I spent with my son who helped me build it.

That blank space under the window will be filled with bookshelves I plan to build this weekend.

I'll post the results of that.

Regarding this, tips and criticisms warmly welcomed.

L'égalité est un plat qui se mange froid.

Oh, and CNN is ISIS.
ranome
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 18465

Re: Office Renovation

Postby Entreri » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Excellent job, bro! Looks great. You *say* that you don't know 'how-to', but the results speak the truth.

10mm or GTFO.

Two to the chest, one to the head.

Only hits count.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 20123

Postby Alistair » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:13 pm

I just made a table out of old newspapers and a rug, but it doesn't look half as good as yours.

And I am not posting any photographs which might act as terminal guidance for SJW nastiness.

Liberty, Property, Sanity (GreyWolf68)

Alpha fucks, Beta bucks, Sigma doesn't play.

MGTOW means never having to care about the female viewpoint (Deathslayer)

MGTOW is weed for the soul

I came, I saw, I shrugged, I left

There is no Tooth Fairy. There is no Santa Claus. There is no Good Woman.

Disengage, retreat in good order, slash, burn and wait for winter (GreyWolf68)
Alistair
Established Member

Liked: 2869

Postby trajan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Nice! Is the floor laminate directly on the concrete? I'm looking to fix up my basement. Currently carpet on concrete as well.

trajan
Established Member

Liked: 4270

Postby ranome » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm

trajan wrote:Nice! Is the floor laminate directly on the concrete? I'm looking to fix up my basement. Currently carpet on concrete as well.

Yes, the floor is directly on concrete. The office suite is two rooms. I ripped up the carpet-on-concrete in both, and then applied a stripper to remove the carpet glue from the concrete.

I tried to do this on the cheap, and applied only enough goop to create a sloppy mess that was too thick to scrape. I then bought more goop, let it sit overnight, and scraped. The glue came up. This was in one room. I was so sick of messing with it that I left the glue on the concrete in the second room, and put the floor down on it directly. It didn't make a difference in how it applied, as the product I bought had a built-in pad on the bottom. It had crossed my mind to put the floor directly on the carpet, since it had no pad. Some laminate manufacturers say this is ok for their product. The instructions on my product said no, so I didn't.

One thing I would caution: this is a second floor office suite. It is centrally heated and cooled and I am not concerned about moisture. I also did not put a vapor barrier, because the floor was exposed for more than two weeks (I was doing this on weekends) and I saw no signs of moisture. My concern for a basement would be moisture. The floor would need not only a vapor barrier, but would have to be spaced from walls at least 10 mm to allow for expansion.

L'égalité est un plat qui se mange froid.

Oh, and CNN is ISIS.
ranome
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 18465

Return to Home Improvement