Ideas for clocks (wall clocks mostly)

Tells us all about your home, apartment, condo, etc. improvements. Your tips on DIY are most welcome here.

Ideas for clocks (wall clocks mostly)

Postby going this way » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Hey gents,

I've been taking my time on this idea but I'd like to make a wall clock, maybe 5' by 5' or so, something I could leave when moving but could also be taken down. Anyone build anything like it? I was in AtHome the other day, when I was looking at their large $100+ clocks I noticed the actual time piece itself was not any bigger than many of the wall clocks at Walmart & elsewhere. What a rip!

So I'm basically taking apart a clock I guess, to make a bigger one, the hands & numbers will be bigger, the face will mainly be a wall. I wonder if there's somewhere local I can get Roman Numerals, haven't looked into it yet. Making bigger hands might be a challenge though.

Et erunt homines se ipsos amantes, cupidi, elati, superbi, blasphemi, parentibus inoboedientes, ingrate, scelesti
going this way
GPS Relocating...

Liked: 1134

Re: Ideas for clocks (wall clocks mostly)

Postby Eddie Willers » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Be careful - bigger hands mean heavier, and this requires a higher torque movement.
There's lots of clock supply houses online to supply such things - such as https://www.klockit.com

A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4343

Postby deadb0y » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:02 am

Eddie Willers wrote:Be careful - bigger hands mean heavier, and this requires a higher torque movement.
There's lots of clock supply houses online to supply such things - such as https://www.klockit.com

This... Eddie is spot on. I used to work for a guy that made all sorts of weird stuff and we always had bother getting his clock designs to keep accurate time.. Dinner knives and forks/pitch forks/Garden tools, spanners and such are heavy old things to turn into clock hands!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2492

Postby EddieS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 am

Made quite a few over the years. Just normal clocks made with a special bit of timber. Burl slices are my favourite.

You can get Roman numerals and numbers etc... On ebay cheaply also. I suggest using a dab of super glue once you have them all set out nicely. The self adhesive, or double sided tape always eventually fails.

I also suggest using the printer to make templates. It's especially useful when you have an elliptical face. It's amazing how the eye can pick out numbers that are a millimetre or less out of alignment. Especially when you have made it yourself.

You can get fancy hands made fairly cheaply these days with water jet, laser, 3d printing and cnc cutting places around.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15533

Return to Home Improvement