Starting excercise again

Talk about stuff like fitness tips, diet advice, anecdotal information and all things concerning health, balding, nose hair and losing weight etc.

Starting excercise again

Postby deadb0y » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:57 am

A long time ago, getting on for 20 years, I used to body build... I was pretty good at it weighing in at just shy of 16 stone at 6"3'. I did it for about 2 years then petered off (it made me very aggressive). I am one of those lucky people that doesn't really put on weight and I'm also much healthier (even without exercise) than pretty much everyone of my age and quite a few younger.

To now - I want to start exercising again but this time around I have a mild back injury from a bike crash, it plays up under physical labor but it's not debilitating... To that end I need to be a bit careful so I've come up with the following "start up" routine to follow over the next 3 months, the one thing I'm missing is legercise options!

First month = 2 x 4 mile very brisk walk per week - maybe an extra one on Sunday evening!
This continues through the second month but I also add.
Press-ups to exhaustion 2 times a week.
Situps to exhaustion 2 times a week.
Chins to exhaustion 2 times a week.
Squats to exhaustion 2 times a week.
Third month is basically all of the above!

I don't know if the squats will be enough for legs, I suppose they will? As you can see I'll only be using body weight to train for now..

Have any of you tried only body weight training?
Do you think the above will make any difference to muscle definition and strength?
Do you know of any more efficient ways to train legs?

Though and opinions welcome :)

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2492

Re: Starting excercise again

Postby EddieS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:22 am

My old state rugby coach was a mad fan of bodyweight training. The guy at 50 used to drive state 17 year olds into the ground without raising a sweat. Crazy vet he was. Took great pleasure in taking us to the army base, and putting us through pt and doing it with us. It was harsh. But I am grateful for it these days, and he made us one hell of a force on the paddock.

Imho, if you have a mild back issue, I would be staying well away from sit ups. There are much better ways of using your bodyweight for abs. Crunches, or even better, planks are much more worthwhile. Also much less likely to aggravate your back. Planks will stengthen your entire core, sides and back along with your abs. It might take you half an hour to do all those sit ups. But if you can plank for ten minutes, you will be twice as fucked, and have done ten times the good. Without the impact.

Isometric type exercises and equal amounts of stretching are the go imo. As you get older, stretching is so important to keeping that feeling of being limber that you too for granted in your youth. Strength is only half the story. Being limber and sprightly is the other half. Which comes from stretching.

As for bodyweight leg work. Squats are good. But will only get you so far. You can have super dooper legs with just bodyweight with pistol squats, side lunges, jump lunges, single leg bridges, and long jumps.

I'm sure the serious gym guys will correct me if I have mentioned something out of date, or harmful.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 15526

Postby Morgu » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:58 pm

I can reccomend the book "Convict Conditioning" to you. It is all about body weight exercises, and has done me nothing but good. Start with the first book "Convict Conditioning", then work your way through the rest.

link for book: https://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditio ... nditioning

Don't be put off by the appearance, this is one book well worth buying a paper back copy of. Even if you could put on your pirate hat for it. ;)

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 14724

Postby TDG » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Two years ago, I decided to get into shape and here's the thread about what I learned;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7161&p=88474&hilit=Ufc#p83736

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 60287

Postby deadb0y » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:20 am

TDG wrote:Two years ago, I decided to get into shape and here's the thread about what I learned;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7161&p=88474&hilit=Ufc#p83736

From the linked thread:

TDG wrote:My cardio is also way better and I'm not dying after classes.

My cardio is going to be agonising, shit, I can barely pork the Mrs for half an hour without feeling like I've run a marathon.. That's why I was aiming to start with just brisk walking! Are you still keeping it up?

EddieS wrote:As for bodyweight leg work. Squats are good. But will only get you so far. You can have super dooper legs with just bodyweight with pistol squats, side lunges, jump lunges, single leg bridges, and long jumps.

That there is pure gold.. I used to squat/pressup for warmup and then pile on 60 to 100 kg to actually train but never got any deeper than that for legs... I didn't even realise there were so many leg exercises :)

Cheers for the book recommend Morgu but I am a terrible reader. I've got a kindle full of shit that people have bought me/I've bought and none of them ever get read.

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2492

Postby TDG » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:33 am

deadb0y wrote:
TDG wrote:My cardio is also way better and I'm not dying after classes.

My cardio is going to be agonising, shit, I can barely pork the Mrs for half an hour without feeling like I've run a marathon.. That's why I was aiming to start with just brisk walking! Are you still keeping it up?

Damn straight I am!

In fact, I've had to ADD carbs to my diet and more calories because I've lost too much weight.

I checked in at around 149 last week and have managed to eek back up to 152 this week.

Also from the thread I linked to;

3 month update.

For the first couple of months, I was making a minimum of 2 one hour sessions per week couple with my 2 yoga classes. The working out was brutal and exhausting. I was hurting in places I forgot existed and my cardio was shit. I was dying after every class, but thanks to the several years of yoga, many of the core exercises were almost like a break for me.

'Embrace the grind' is the current lexicon.

It takes consistency, consistency, consistency.

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 60287

Return to Health and Fitness