Double Edge Razors

Talk about stuff like fitness tips, diet advice, anecdotal information and all things concerning health, balding, nose hair and losing weight etc.

Double Edge Razors

Postby No4Dad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 pm

I was thinking of moving from my Gillette Sensor Excel, which I normally buy razors for and are normally about $1.25-1.50/razor head, to the older-school double edge razor blades. Something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/y7frw8rb

Do any of you have any experience with these? It looks like I could reduce my blade costs down to 3¢/head.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 18177

Re: Double Edge Razors

Postby Schattenmann » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm

yes - I made that move about 3 or 4 years ago and I am still on the same pack of 100 blades I purchased then (not that strong beard and I only shave daily when working).

When you come from a system razor thingie, be sure to pick up a beginner friendly one (read up a few describtions). While the blades are the same whatever mechanism (butterfly or screw top) you use, the grille apparently is where it is at - some are more forgiving with a fairly small amount of razor exposed while some are more "hardcore".

I did not believe it myself until I purchased a 2nd razor (since I wanted one with a butterfly mechanism as well) and constantly nicked myself while shaving since you have to move your face around the blade with that one as if you were using a straight razor.

Shaving soap is also pretty inexpensive if you do not insist on foaming yourself like crazy. I usually go straight from the tin to the face which seems kinda taboo but to get foam in a boal you need to use at least double the soap.

Shrug. summary:
1) Go for a recommended beginner model.
2) bowl optional
3) Set time aside for the first shaves (do not do it in the morning when you are rushed, instead do it in the evening like a spa treatment for yourself).
4) profit

Schattenmann
Established Member

Liked: 3350

Postby Morgu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Ghostery (Firefox addon) thinks the link is bad, so I can't see what kind of razor that is.

The razor I have been using is: https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Hand ... fety+razor

Very nice, works well, and once you find a type of blade you enjoy, you can buy them cheap in bulk from Amazon.

You can also purchase beginner shaving sets from Amazon, if you are so inclined.

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15980

Postby Demosthenes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Please post a followup to this if you don't mind.

I use a trimmer for my head and my beard, so I usually look like I have a couple or three days growth on my face. I let it fill in a few days then trim it back again.

Been considering shaving again/shaving more. Just a changing preference thing. I'm not inclined to go back to overpriced razor blades and haven't really looked into other options recently.

D

Arrogance in persons of merit affronts us more than arrogance in those without merit. Merit itself is an affront. - Nietzsche
-----
Women don't owe men anything. Not a smile. Not sex, Not even empathy or compassion. Men don't owe women anything either. Not interest. Not resources. And definitely not commitment or children.
-----
Somewhere in a lonely hotel room there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2AM.
------
Make sure you want it this way, 'cause when it's done this time, I'll be gone. - Benatar
Demosthenes
Freezing Cold Sanity

Liked: 28614

Postby Schattenmann » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Can confirm on the Merkur, I use that one as well it seems to be a "starter" one.

Apart from whatever magic they do so you do not cut yourself to much, the razor has a nice "sorta heavy" feel to it - can recommend.
As for after shave, lotions and shit this will depend upon your skin and time of shaving.
I do not use any because most nicks and irritations are gone after sleep (I shave before I go to bed as part of my unwinding ritual).

Schattenmann
Established Member

Liked: 3350

Postby No4Dad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Semi-related:

I shave my head. I used to a regular razor (Gillette Sensor Excel) on my head but eventually migrated to the Head Blade (search Amazon) which is basically like taking a Matchbox Car/Hotwheels Car and rolling it across your skull in a Zamboni sort of fashion to shave your head. It takes just a bit to get used to but I really like it.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby ManWithAPlan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

There was a discussion about this a while ago.

https://www.mgtowhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6114

Everything I bought was pretty decent but the japanese feather blades are night and day compared to what I originally got. Also the shaving soap, holy shit that fucking shit lasts. You'll go through a bar a year, if that. And I think the package comes with like 12 bars for (now) $10 (I think I got mine for $7 or so).

I like to replace the blade every 3 shaves, but you can do what you like. If you wash it, it will work better. If you clean it, it will work better. And if you flip it, it will work better. So you can use one blade for a while, but I don't care. Since the cost of the soap is basically not even worth factoring in, I go through about $0.40-0.50 a week for shaving. This translates to about $20 a year.

The pro's are that you get a far better shave. The cons are that it will take a bit longer to shave when you first start out. You will also probably cut yourself (far closer shave with this, so it happens). With straight and safety razors, you basically have to develop a basic shaving skill that you didn't need with the gilette bullshit, but it's definitely worth it.

I've been using safety razors for almost 3 years now and I have to say it's definitely worth getting into.

I also hope you're not jumping on this "deal." Amazon inflates prices and lies all the time. That razor was never above $15.99 and it was as low as $8.99.

Oh and I don't use bowls for shaving soap. I run the tip of the soap under a hot sink, then apply it to my face like chapstick (repeat a few times). Once my face is covered in a thin layer, I run a brush under the water and brush my face. It foams up and before you know it both my face and the brush are covered in foam. It's easy, simple and the foamy brush can be re-used to apply a new layer if you want to run another pass or two.

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 44096

Postby EddieS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 pm

I haven't razor shaved for a long time. But my grandfather taught me with a double edge.

As mentioned. They are far sharper than a safety razor. You will cut yourself while learning. Maybe pretty bad even. Don't let it stop you. It's worth getting through the learning curve.

Blade brand is a personal preference. I like feather japanese blades also. But some can't cope with them. Too sharp. If you aren't enjoying it, or cut yourself too much. Try a different brand of blades. Research which brand might suit you best first. Once you get good, you might like to go for a sharper brand.

Disposable straight razors are a thing also. You can shave pretty quick with a straight once you have the practice. A non disposable straight razor is the closest and eventually fastest and cheapest of all shaves imo.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 16486

Postby Eddie Willers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 pm

I stand by what I said in my previous post. Been wet-shaving all my life but made the switch to traditional DE safety razor in 2009. Merkur 34C razor, Brazilian Gillette 'Mejorada' blades - bought 300 5-packs in Mexico in 2012 for about $75 (1500 blades at 5 cents per blade) - with either 'Arko' stick soap or Proraso in the tub; I even mix my own post-shave splash of witch-hazel, glycerine, 90% alcohol and scented-plant oil extracts.

Now, if you want to be a real badass...try a cut-throat razor; Sweeney Todd swore by them!

Last edited by Eddie Willers on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4470

Postby Merlin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 pm

I learned on a butterfly razor but got a free Gillette Track 2 in the mail. Never went back. I started using Dorco razors and find them much better than Gillette or Schick.

3 of their disposable Pace 4 (4 blade) razors are 3.50 with free shipping.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 11252

Postby SardonicYuda » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 pm

fuck I gotta get in on this shit. i spend too much on shaving shit as it stands. been interested in straight razors myself, seems more manly compared to all the plastic they expect us to have stashed up forever.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
"We are the cleverest monsters, and we deserve everything we've got coming"
-David Axe
"Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side"
-Treebeard, LOTR
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda
Harbinger of the Doomed Rat

Liked: 12888

Postby EddieS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:42 am

SardonicYuda wrote:fuck I gotta get in on this shit. i spend too much on shaving shit as it stands. been interested in straight razors myself, seems more manly compared to all the plastic they expect us to have stashed up forever.

You guys have some old school barbers over there still. I reckon one would teach you all you wanted to know if you went there occasionally.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby SardonicYuda » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:15 pm

EddieS wrote:
SardonicYuda wrote:fuck I gotta get in on this shit. i spend too much on shaving shit as it stands. been interested in straight razors myself, seems more manly compared to all the plastic they expect us to have stashed up forever.

You guys have some old school barbers over there still. I reckon one would teach you all you wanted to know if you went there occasionally.

there's one in my hometown within walking distance. always like going there since the guys are cool and it's in the old part of town, so it's quite fitting. straight razor shaves are always super close and not nearly as irritating so the neck feels great.

I just wish I had room for one of those proper shave kits, or the time to use it. it's goofy I suppose, but rituals like that or my tobacco pipes are quite relaxing.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda

Postby No4Dad » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 am

Is there any benefit to getting a fancy/expensive razor like:

I was led down this path by looking for Feather Blades as suggested above:
http://a.co/1EKvuUY

$142 sounds expensive. It's stainless steel which seems nice. $142 across 10+ years is not anything I'd worry about plus I'm already spending slightly less than that on just blade/year, anyway.

Is something like that worth it?

I'm of the mindset that I don't mind spending a little more for shoes, clothes, furniture, etc. that'll last. I figure it pays off in the long run. That being said, I don't want to be stupid and pay $142 for a $20 razor.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby ManWithAPlan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 am

No4Dad wrote:Is there any benefit to getting a fancy/expensive razor like:

I was led down this path by looking for Feather Blades as suggested above:
http://a.co/1EKvuUY

$142 sounds expensive. It's stainless steel which seems nice. $142 across 10+ years is not anything I'd worry about plus I'm already spending slightly less than that on just blade/year, anyway.

Is something like that worth it?

I'm of the mindset that I don't mind spending a little more for shoes, clothes, furniture, etc. that'll last. I figure it pays off in the long run. That being said, I don't want to be stupid and pay $142 for a $20 razor.

As far as I know the price doesn't matter, but you don't want to go too cheap. Here's the one the members mentioned and the one I started out with. It's a pretty rock solid razor and one I still use to this day.

If you're going into this to get a better shave and save money, then going for the fanciest and most expensive crap is not the way to go. I paid around $40 for my merkur, so $23 is a steal right now.

ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Postby EddieS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 am

I agree. Get the merkur and soe blades. Feathers aren't the best blade to go through the learning curve on imo. If you have the wrong skin, or a heavy hand. You'll just slice your face off.

Use the $ you save to get two or three different brands. They have blade variety packs too by the looks. Well worth it imo.

If it agrees with you, get the flash one later. No real loss then. You will keep the merkur as a travel or backup razor.

Last edited by EddieS on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby ManWithAPlan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 am

EddieS wrote:I agree. Get the merkur and soe blades. Feathers aren't the best blade to go through the learning curve on imo. Use the $ you save to get two or three different brands.

If it agrees with you, get the flash one later. No real loss then. You will keep the merkur as a travel or backup razor.

Maybe he'd be better off getting a sampler pack? That way he doesn't over commit to one brand of blades, and still has enough to practice.

ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Postby EddieS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:17 am

ManWithAPlan wrote:
EddieS wrote:I agree. Get the merkur and soe blades. Feathers aren't the best blade to go through the learning curve on imo. Use the $ you save to get two or three different brands.

Maybe he'd be better off getting a sampler pack? That way he doesn't over commit to one brand of blades, and still has enough to practice.

LOL. I edited. As I just noticed them :lol:

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby deadb0y » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am

I went from safety razors (Mach III) to shavettes in one hit about 4 years ago..

I only sliced my self to shreds for about 6 months :)

Much better shave though, Mach III's were OK but I had to use them every day to keep the 5 oclock shadow at bay. With the shavette's I'm good for 2 days between scrapings!

I forgot to mention - once you've mastered straight shaving you can shave with any object sharp enough to shave with.. When camping I use my axe or and ESEE 6 - you get quite an audience if there are other people around!

Also I've spend a grand total of £10.99 on blades in the last 4 years and I'm still only a quarter of the way through them!

Last edited by deadb0y on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 3022

Postby SardonicYuda » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am

poking around the web for starter kits I think I found a company I'd like to patronize. reviews for the company are constituently good so I don't see any harm in giving them a shot.

http://www.razoremporium.com/try-de-wet-shaving-kit/

for $35 that's not too bad considering where I am now a pack of gillette 5 blade nonsense cartridges costs that much, not to mention what I waste on shaving cream. plus buy American, if that really means anything anymore.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda

Postby Eddie Willers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 pm

SardonicYuda wrote:poking around the web for starter kits I think I found a company I'd like to patronize. reviews for the company are constituently good so I don't see any harm in giving them a shot. http://www.razoremporium.com/try-de-wet-shaving-kit/ for $35 that's not too bad considering where I am now a pack of gillette 5 blade nonsense cartridges costs that much, not to mention what I waste on shaving cream. plus buy American, if that really means anything anymore.

Yarr - good blade selection (Feather and Derby are both very good; the former moreso); good Proraso (albeit small); brush look short-handled but good knot; don't know about the razor - looks to be made of Chinesium,

Be prepared to spend more like $100 for the next level - getting the basic concepts and movements down with this kit and practising with better quality gear will make for a better experience overall.

A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4470

Postby SardonicYuda » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Eddie Willers wrote:
SardonicYuda wrote:poking around the web for starter kits I think I found a company I'd like to patronize. reviews for the company are constituently good so I don't see any harm in giving them a shot. http://www.razoremporium.com/try-de-wet-shaving-kit/ for $35 that's not too bad considering where I am now a pack of gillette 5 blade nonsense cartridges costs that much, not to mention what I waste on shaving cream. plus buy American, if that really means anything anymore.

Yarr - good blade selection (Feather and Derby are both very good; the former moreso); good Proraso (albeit small); brush look short-handled but good knot; don't know about the razor - looks to be made of Chinesium,

Be prepared to spend more like $100 for the next level - getting the basic concepts and movements down with this kit and practising with better quality gear will make for a better experience overall.

That's the plan. Once I get out and have my own place again I'm getting me a nicer one, maybe even a straight razor set pr collection too.

Its nice to be single

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
-Rule of Acquisition #48
SardonicYuda

Postby No4Dad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am

I ordered the Merkur 34C HD (The "HD" is for "High Definition"! :) - remember those days?)

I found the information in this thread useful and this article:
http://www.mistershaver.com/ultimate-gu ... ty-razors/
...really helped with giving me the general run-down for each of the razor types.

Should be in today and I think the soap come in Friday. I'll still use the Sensor Excels for my head (using the Head Blade (http://a.co/g4GRrnU)) but this will cut my razor costs from $1.25/head down to 10¢/head which is a pretty decent reduction.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby TDG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:04 am

I don't personally wet shave too often anymore, but I've had that setup linked in the OP since I was married which is well over 5 years by now. It's takes a little practice to shave that way (can't go against the grain and you have to let the weight of the razer itself do the work), but it gives a far more satisfying shave than a Gillette Mach whatever does and for a fraction of the cost.

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest

1. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it's enemy action.
2. If someone shows you who they are, believe them.
- Demosthenes
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 63912

Postby EddieS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 am

Great choice. All the merkurs are really nice. Last a lifetime.

Pretty sure mine is a merkur 1904 with a longer handle I got from somewhere.

Once you get the feel for it, you will probably be perfectly happy using it on your head also. When you find the right blade, you can get bulk pack and save heaps. Especially if your favourite blade is an astra or something that is very well priced.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Next

Return to Health and Fitness