Alcohol Discussion

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Re: Alcohol Discussion

Postby womanhater » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:16 pm

I'd encourage any man to learn to appreciate the masterful genius of the Scots when it comes to the production of whiskey (interesting note - whiskey/whisky is one of those rare words in English with two correct spellings, sort of like judgement/judgment and grey/gray).

Scotch is an acquired taste, but the complexity of it and the depth of character is something lacking in almost all other drinks, and it's also something that you can drink at ANY social venue where drinking is allowed and not be out of place. Try some of the Speysides to get your feet wet - if you move straightaway into something like Lagavulin or Talisker, you're likely not going to care for them, and yet after a while, those extremely peaty and heavy Scotches are the very nectar of the gods.

"Sexual attraction towards women is a disease, and we have to thank modern feminism for providing us with its cure." - MPAV8R

"Women don't owe men anything. Not a smile. Not sex, Not even empathy or compassion. Men don't owe women anything either. Not interest. Not resources. And definitely not commitment or children." - Demosthenes

"Women's definition of oppression is being held accountable for their actions." - Mr.Fenrir

"This world needs to burn in holy nuclear fire." - hansmoleman
womanhater
Gender Warlord

Liked: 36614

Postby SardonicYuda » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:46 pm

womanhater wrote:I'd encourage any man to learn to appreciate the masterful genius of the Scots when it comes to the production of whiskey (interesting note - whiskey/whisky is one of those rare words in English with two correct spellings, sort of like judgement/judgment and grey/gray).

Scotch is an acquired taste, but the complexity of it and the depth of character is something lacking in almost all other drinks, and it's also something that you can drink at ANY social venue where drinking is allowed and not be out of place. Try some of the Speysides to get your feet wet - if you move straightaway into something like Lagavulin or Talisker, you're likely not going to care for them, and yet after a while, those extremely peaty and heavy Scotches are the very nectar of the gods.

when it comes to whiskey I'm partial to Jameson as it stands, though this is mostly because I've had the most fun with it.

I'm mostly a beer drinker at this point with my penchant being stouts and porters and wheat beers, but Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is pretty close to being my favorite as an American Brown Ale.

Of course, I also like Lambic beers when it comes to getting my sweet tooth satisfied. Hardly any alcohol in there, true, but really anything Belgian is love to me.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
"We are the cleverest monsters, and we deserve everything we've got coming"
-David Axe
"Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side"
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda
Harbinger of the Doomed Rat

Liked: 12072

Postby Alistair » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm

womanhater wrote:whiskey/whisky is one of those rare words in English with two correct spellings

I think whisky is Scots and whiskey Irish (?)

You haven't mentioned Laphroaig or Edradruar.

Liberty, Property, Sanity (GreyWolf68)

Alpha fucks, Beta bucks, Sigma doesn't play.

MGTOW means never having to care about the female viewpoint (Deathslayer)

There is no Tooth Fairy. There is no Santa Claus. There is no Good Woman.

I came, I saw, I shrugged, I left

Disengage, retreat in good order, slash, burn and wait for winter (GreyWolf68)
Alistair
Established Member

Liked: 2643

Postby Merlin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm partial to Pale Ales and Bourbon myself.

I like the balance of malt to hops in a pale ale. Your whole body can get the shivers from the first sip of a highly hopped beer but the followup flavor is worth it.

As to Bourbon, the vanillin compounds in the chard oak barrels gives Bourbon a distinctive flavor you don't get from any other whiskey.

If you want to try both at the same time (and they do compliment each other) try Blanton's Single Barrel chased by Samuel Smith's Pale Ale. The flavor combination is impressive.

Last edited by Merlin on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 10195

Postby Knightscribe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Currently my poisons are two of the newer Jim Beam flavored whiskeys, Reg Stag and Fire. Red Stag is "cherry-infused," so if the flavor of licking a well-used wooden ashtray that was made during the Depression that comes with regular Jim Beam or Jack Daniel's is too much for you, with Red Stag it's buried under a nice, smooth cherry flavor. First time I tried it I mixed a nip with some Coke, tasted like I'd mixed regular whiskey with Cherry Coke. These days I've cut the soda out for the most part and just sip it on the rocks. It's not too over-powering or fruity, but it helps the medicine go down, so to speak. The Fire is cinnamon-flavored, tastes kind of like a Hot-Ball candy. They're both some mid-level spirits, $20 a bottle give or take, but they're high enough quality that it won't leave you hung-over.

And on that subject, I'm gonna join the "No Cheap Shit" chorus. My entire drinking life I've stuck with Jack Daniel's, and Jim Beam when I really tied one on and got good and fucked-up drunk, and I can tell you hand-to-God that I've never woken up with a hangover. Still wishing I had four or ten more hours of sleep, sure, but I've never felt that "lights are too bright, whispers are too loud" shit I've heard about all my life. So if you find yourself paying less than around ten bucks for something, make damn sure it's nothing bigger than a pint.

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." Carl G. Jung

"I'm done with the bad-boys."="The bad-boys are done with me."
Knightscribe
Established Member

Liked: 3376

Postby The-Bourbonator » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Pointerman wrote:Miller has the vortex bottle. It goes down too quick. Bottles usually taste better unless the glass is clear.

Miller?

Miller dude?

Stop giving our brother bad advice! :lol:

PLUS 1000 for Weihenstephaner recommendation.

I'm a Hefeweizen guy (Schwarzebier too, but it's hard to find and usually expensive in the States), but really, if you stick with any beer that's german you won't be let down.

German purity law: it's illegal for them to sell or export shitty beer. It's ILLEGAL. :lol:

If you're low on cash, there's always Becks. Not too expensive, and very decent.

During the week, I usually drink Olympia. Like most american pilsner, it's mostly water, so you don't have to worry about gettin drunk or getting a hangover (unless you're really TRYING to get hammered) if you've got work the next day.

It aint great. But it's cheap, and as far as cheap beer is concerned, it's the best not-great-but-not-disgusting beer out there imho. It's the best shitty beer around. :lol:

If your interested in Bourbon, here's my favorite sippin bourbon.

Delicious, not too hard on the wallet.

Bulleit is very similar to Makers Mark. Markers Mark tends to be slightly more sweet, while Bulleit being slightly more robust.

Dickel is Delicious, but alittle more expensive nowadays.

Though for a starter bourbon, Jim Beam is hard to beat.

I personally CANNOT STAND Jack Daniels. I just can't stomach sour mash bourbon.

However, even if you like sour mash, I'd stay away from Jack. It's insanely overpriced for what it is. You're payin for the brand name, not for quality.

EDIT:

...what the fuck is this bullshit about "flavored bourbon?"

Bourbon has one flavor: Bourbon flavor. Period. End of discussion. :lol:

"One of the best things about being a hardcore cynic is that you are seldom disappointed and almost never wrong."
-MPAV8R

"Some men are domesticated and some are civilized."
-DrunkenMaster

To salvage what humanity remains within us, we must learn to embrace the wildness within us. We must plumb the depths of our ancestral memory to seek who and what we truly are, and leave the ploughshare behind us forever.
-MPAV8R

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
-Marcus Aurelius
The-Bourbonator
The Half-Blood Prince

Liked: 9188

Postby mongolking » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm a Hefeweizen guy (Schwarzebier too, but it's hard to find and usually expensive in the States), but really, if you stick with any beer that's german you won't be let down.

That's my experience as well. If it's German, it'll be good. At least, if it's a lager, one of the stronger lagers (like Bock) or Wheat beer. Haven't tried their black beers, but I was sold on the Irish variety decades ago.

Can't say I've met with any German ales though - I don't know if they even make them. Not that it matters - the local guys here in NZ make excellent hopped-up IPAs, as I believe the American craft beer scene also does well, and the English and Scots have always been strong with well malted ales (hard to beat Fullers ESB).

As for truly excellent lagers, the Czech stuff will give the Germans a good run for their money.

God, I love beer.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25004

Postby Knightscribe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:07 pm

The-Bourbonator wrote:...what the fuck is this bullshit about "flavored bourbon?"

I'm just trying to help out a beginning drinker, I'm in no way trying to imply I'm not a gigantic pansy. :P

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." Carl G. Jung

"I'm done with the bad-boys."="The bad-boys are done with me."
Knightscribe
Established Member

Liked: 3376

Postby Entreri » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Alcohol discussion.

Well, personally I'm in favor of alcohol. I haven't had any since Christmas but that's mostly because of a combination of my diet/exercise regimen and working nights.

But yeah, I'm very much in favor of it.

10mm or GTFO.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 19080

Postby Merlin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:01 am

The-Bourbonator wrote:...what the fuck is this bullshit about "flavored bourbon?"

Agreed! Putting any flavoring in Bourbon is like trying to touch up Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper.

Knightscribe wrote:I'm just trying to help out a beginning drinker, I'm in no way trying to imply I'm not a gigantic pansy. :P

:lol:

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 10195

Postby Pointerman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:11 am

The-Bourbonator wrote:
Pointerman wrote:Miller has the vortex bottle. It goes down too quick. Bottles usually taste better unless the glass is clear.

Miller?

Miller dude?

Stop giving our brother bad advice! :lol:

Hey, you can take the redneck out of the country, can't take the country out of the redneck though.... :lol:

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30172

Postby Slick » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:35 am

Here -> this will help keep you from drinking too much...

You can thank me later.

Calling illegal aliens "undocumented immigrants" is like calling drug dealers "unlicensed pharmacists".
Slick
PROSPECT

Liked: 175

Alcohol Discussion - Bourbon, WhiskEy & Rye

Postby Fray Bentos » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 am

In the UK, I can go in almost any shop and find a staggering selection of Scottish, Irish & Welsh whisky; but outside of the low cost variations of Jack Daniels, Jim Bean, Wild Turkey, Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve it is particularly difficult to get your hands on something a little bit special from elsewhere. You are pretty much stuck with ordering online.

Now I know nothing about Bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey & Rye, I understand the differences and the nuances with the names but that is as far as it goes... I only recently learned that Rye from USA is more Rye than Rye from Canada...

I'd love some recommendations on this, I don't mean the $100.00 a glass type but something elevated from the basics they sell in our shops and who knows, maybe I can find it online UK.

In case you are wondering, I drink Knob Creek as and when available locally.

Edit: I found the one above - https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/108 ... ickel-no12

Fray Bentos
Selfish Bastard

Liked: 2775

Previous

Return to Food and Recipes