Alcohol Discussion

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Alcohol Discussion

Postby SardonicYuda » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Alright I turn 21 in a few months, and my drinking experience has been rather limited since I know how to behave. As of late, my fascination with the stuff has increased(guess the Marine Corps and an interest in prepping/homesteading will do that to ya). I'm hoping to get some good advice out of this and as well as provide a little place to discuss the good stuff.

As I said, I don't have much experience. Some pisswater beers, a few sips of wine, some sake, and a few attempts at my own ginger beer, two of which exploded(this was surely alcoholic by the smell of the initial culture). My current fascination is with whiskey for some reason. I dunno why, but I'm thinking I'll just buy a small bottle of Jack Daniels Old No. 7 and try to enjoy myself. Not the type to drink to the point where I get stupid, but when I go back home to see my buddies, I don't think I'd be too opposed to the idea.

So am I being stupid right now or what?

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
"We are the cleverest monsters, and we deserve everything we've got coming"
-David Axe
"Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side"
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda
Harbinger of the Doomed Rat

Liked: 12080

Re: Alcohol Discussion

Postby ranome » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:37 am

So am I being stupid right now or what?

No. You are not being stupid drinking alcohol. It's like anything else: you must master it and not let it master you. Back in my day when the legal drinking age was 18, I was drinking at 14, so when I got to college it wasn't a big deal and it didn't interfere with my studies. For those who grew up in teatotalling households, they were being exposed to it for the first time and couldn't handle it. Some of them flunked out of school because they took "Thirsty Thursday" too literally.

Moderation, my son. All things in moderation.

L'égalité est un plat qui se mange froid.
ranome
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 17392

Postby ak » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:41 am

If you're going to drink, it's smart to get away from beer and move toward the harder stuff (you won't be getting up every 5 minutes to pee as you would while drinking beer, and at least for me, the hangovers are much more tolerable), although I would make sure the bottle of Jack Daniels you purchase is very small. It's possible that you'll hate the taste. I'm not a fan of it myself.

I've had many types of alcohol, and a safe option is rum and coke. It's reasonably priced and the taste isn't overpowering.

ak
PROSPECT

Liked: 174

Postby SardonicYuda » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:11 am

ak wrote:If you're going to drink, it's smart to get away from beer and move toward the harder stuff (you won't be getting up every 5 minutes to pee as you would while drinking beer, and at least for me, the hangovers are much more tolerable), although I would make sure the bottle of Jack Daniels you purchase is very small. It's possible that you'll hate the taste. I'm not a fan of it myself.

I've had many types of alcohol, and a safe option is rum and coke. It's reasonably priced and the taste isn't overpowering.

I actually tried Rum, as well as rum and coke once. Captain Morgan Original I think. Much prefer the rum itself, the combination was too syrupy for me. And while on base I don't think there's much in the way of small bottles, but back home there's an old liquor shop I used to go to all the time(get all our fishing bait there too) and the clerk is very cool and knowledgeable. Can certainly find a small bottle there, though I'm hoping it will be glass as I suspect plastic bottles carry over some off taste to the drink.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby mongolking » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:01 am

I think it helps to understand the role of alcohol in our history - especially if we're of European heritage.

Alcohol isn't just a happy drug - it's a serious preservative and disinfectant. All the sugars that were abundant in Northern summers when grapes ripened, and cereals reached perfection, and potato tubers got as big and healthy as they ever could, would have been lost if not for wine, beer and the various spirits. These were the media that allowed summer's surplus to become winter's nourishment - along with the breads and old potato tubers that were put away for the cooler months.

Alcohol literally saved lives - millions of them - from starvation during the Northern winters, That's why it has such a strong hold on the European imagination, but less so on the tropical peoples who had crops ripening all year round. The Muslims could afford to shun it, because they mostly came from warmer climates.

The other effects were incidental - to be seen as a gift from God, or a scourge - depending entirely on how well you master it.

I see alcohol as part of my cultural heritage. It's something to be respected, and feared, and venerated.

p,s, the culturally astute will have recognised my plan of attack when the inevitable social push comes to expunge alcohol as thoroughly from modern life as tobacco. Sorry, but's it's one of those non-negotiable cultural identity thingies. Ban it after I'm dead. The longer these weirdo's have to wait for their social Nirvana, the more intense their final sense of affirmation. I'm doing us both a favour.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25011

Postby Pointerman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:58 am

Personally,
I would stay away from the cheaper stuff (unlike what I did in my youth) and if you can afford it buy the good stuff. Much of that is a better experience and kind of limits the amount you will drink due to the price.

Me personally, I am a beer drinker, always have been probably always will be and I do like the cheap stuff. For any type of liquor I like the "higher" shelf stuff.

I also don't really care for any of the blended whiskey's that are out there.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30172

Postby TDG » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:06 am

Craft beer and whiskey because life is too short for anything inferior...

For example, my tipple last night was this 11% bad boy;

2015-06-08 21.54.35 - Copy.jpg
2015-06-08 21.54.35 - Copy.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 5013 times

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 60421

Postby Pointerman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 am

TDG wrote:Craft beer and whiskey because life is too short for anything inferior...

For example, my tipple last night was this 11% bad boy;

2015-06-08 21.54.35 - Copy.jpg

Well you did say you were a craft beer whore.... :lol:

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Postby bem » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Moderation will help you save up for the good stuff... and as PointermanKS noted, believe me, you want to stick to the good stuff whenever possible.

As far as beers go, if TDG is a craft beer whore, then I'm a Belgian beer whore - which in that sense, and in that way only, makes me a BBW. :lol: My current darling is Kasteel Beer, brewed by Van Honsebrouck:

http://www.vanhonsebrouck.be/en/bieren/kasteelbier-donker

It can be tough to find this beer (or a lot of other quality foreign brews) nearby. I recommend opening a free account at the web site below, as it will let you follow places that carry beer as well as brews you like, or at least want to try. You'll receive an email update whenever a beer you like becomes available at a place you follow.

http://www.beermenus.com

When it comes to liquor, try your hand at single malt Scotch. Save your pennies for the Laphroaigs, Glenfiddiches, and Macallans of the world. It's worth it, trust me.

Self-actualization apart from woman: There is no greater, nor worthier, challenge than this.

MGTOW = The radical notion that men are human beings.
bem
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 2511

Postby TDG » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:40 pm

bem wrote:As far as beers go, if TDG is a craft beer whore, then I'm a Belgian beer whore - which in that sense, and in that way only, makes me a BBW. :lol: My current darling is Kasteel Beer, brewed by Van Honsebrouck:

My favourite Belgian is Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier;

My craft beer snobbery also includes Belgian beers...

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 60421

Postby fester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Definitely stay away from cheap hard stuff; it isn't distilled or purified enough, it will taste awful and you'll get hangovers from the impurities.

I remember drinking Cossack Vodka when I was 16 or 17; much too much in fact. It smelled like rubbing alcohol. I had a hangover the next day where I thought I was going to die.

High quality sipping whiskey or bourbon in small amounts is a pleasure. I like Basil Hayden.

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
fester
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 26487

Postby bem » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:33 pm

TDG wrote:

Weihenstephaner is actually a Bavarian beer, but you've picked a good one. Brauerei Weihenstephan is the world's oldest continuously operating brewery (as noted on the bottom of the bottle label in your pic), cranking out top-quality beer since 1040.

http://us.weihenstephaner.com/our-beers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weihenstephan_Abbey

Self-actualization apart from woman: There is no greater, nor worthier, challenge than this.

bem
MGTOW Veteran

Postby ak » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:34 pm

I'll break rank from my brothers here and say, "hit that cheap stuff!"

ak
PROSPECT

Liked: 174

Postby SardonicYuda » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:00 pm

fester wrote:Definitely stay away from cheap hard stuff; it isn't distilled or purified enough, it will taste awful and you'll get hangovers from the impurities.

I remember drinking Cossack Vodka when I was 16 or 17; much too much in fact. It smelled like rubbing alcohol. I had a hangover the next day where I thought I was going to die.

High quality sipping whiskey or bourbon in small amounts is a pleasure. I like Basil Hayden.

that's something I've heard about for sure(I do my homework when something actually interests me). I still find it funny that whiskey is just distilled beer at the most basic level.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Jakezilla » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:54 am

As for the hard stuff, Drambuie is great. Spendy, but meant to be sipped. If you can do rum, Bacardi has always been good to me. They no longer make the black, but the select is similar, if you don't like things to sweet. 151 get's it done, nothing sweet about that. Actually, thinking about Bacardi 151 jogs some old pleasing memories, and then eraseses them just as fast... Now where did I put that Bacardi island punch recipie?

Jakezilla
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 131

Postby SardonicYuda » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

apparently alcohol is considered a performance enhancer, at least when it comes to shooting because it lowers your inhibitions and calms you down if you don't overdo it. A lot of Marines attest to this apparently, usually pertaining to marksmanship qualification and PT.

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Derpmond Blergson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:52 am

No one has mentioned tequila yet. I like me some tequila.

Derpmond Blergson
Established Member

Liked: 1401

Postby Slade » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 am

bem wrote:As far as beers go, if TDG is a craft beer whore, then I'm a Belgian beer whore -

What do you think of New Belgium's brews (besides Fat Tire)? How "Belgian" do you find them?

Slade
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 33158

Postby Notorious GIT » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:53 am

Three answer: Yes. More. Now.

Life is too fucked for sobriety.

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire

Liked: 37876

Postby bem » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Slade wrote:
bem wrote:As far as beers go, if TDG is a craft beer whore, then I'm a Belgian beer whore -

What do you think of New Belgium's brews (besides Fat Tire)? How "Belgian" do you find them?

The ones that are available in my immediate area (other than Fat Tire) are Snapshot (wheat) and Slow Ride (IPA). I like them both, especially Slow Ride - it's smooth and doesn't have quite the bitterness that some IPA's do. They're "Belgian" enough for me in a pinch, although I tend to favor stronger beers. Whenever I first look at a beer list, I zoom in on the ABV column, looking for anything 8% and up.

bem
MGTOW Veteran

Postby indianajohn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:46 pm

TDG wrote:
bem wrote:As far as beers go, if TDG is a craft beer whore, then I'm a Belgian beer whore - which in that sense, and in that way only, makes me a BBW. :lol: My current darling is Kasteel Beer, brewed by Van Honsebrouck:

Dude, you're making me drool....

No matter how attractive a woman is, somewhere, out there, some guy is sick of her shit.

Can't shake a whore tree and expect a housewife to fall out.
indianajohn
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 6982

Postby SardonicYuda » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:14 pm

So what I've gathered so far, Belgium has the best beer, go for the good stuff when it comes to spirits, and something about being drunk whenever possible?

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby MrPragmatic » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 pm

I don't know about where you live, but in my neck of the woods craft beer joints seem to be popping up everywhere. Most of these places offer free small samples upon request, which help you decide if a particular brew is to your liking. It won't take you long to discover what kinds of beer you like and which ones you don't.

As far as whiskey is concerned, definitely spend a few more bucks on the better stuff. The difference in quality between a bottle of Woodford Reserve for example and some really cheap shit is very profound.

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler....
I could set the building on fire.

No wife, happy life.
MrPragmatic
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8904

Postby SardonicYuda » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:10 pm

When it comes to beer, does it make a big difference if it comes in a can or a bottle?

-Zoltan Chivey
-David Axe
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda

Postby Pointerman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 pm

Miller has the vortex bottle. It goes down too quick. Bottles usually taste better unless the glass is clear.

Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Next

Return to Food and Recipes