Sweet Potato fries. yay or nay?

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Sweet Potato fries. yay or nay?

Postby DMcG94 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm

I feel like when it comes to sweet potato fries, for most people its hit or miss. I myself like them though.

Here's how I make sweet potato fries.

1. Cut the potatoes up into fries that are less than 1/2 inches in width.
2. Soak the uncooked fries in a bowl of water. (This helps suck the moisture out of the potatoes so it will be extra crispy)
3. After you've let the uncooked fries soak for a few hours, put them on a cookie sheet and take 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and spread it on the fries.
4. Season fries with the following:
*garlic powder
*paprika
*oregano
5. Set oven to 450 and depending on the amount of fries you are cooking, it may take anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour.

This is a really great meal to have if you weight train and are looking for a good source of healthy carbs that are low on the glycemic index! Enjoy!

If you guys try this out, let me know what you think. Like I said though, when it comes to sweet potatoes, people either love them or hate them.

DMcG94
Established Member

Liked: 520

Re: Sweet Potato fries. yay or nay?

Postby Demosthenes » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:50 pm

These, of course, can be fried in regular cooking oil as well just like regular french fries.

My grandmother used to cook these and occasionally, my mother would. I've continued to make these on occasion, but I use an electric slicer as these do not slice as easily as regular white/russet potatoes.

If one is going to fry instead of bake, 20 to 45 minutes in cold water should be enough - if one uses this soaking method at all. My mother and grandmother never bothered soaking them half the time and they still came out great, but soaking will remove additional starch so it's not a bad idea of you have the time.

Whether one soaks the fries or not, crispiness can be achieved more easily by allowing an initial 3 to 4 minutes for the frying, and then removing/draining the fries and setting them aside to let them rest for 3 or 4 minutes - lowering the oil temp briefly as/if needed. Return the fires to the oil and cook to completion.

These (sweet potatoes), I would suggest paying attention to instead of walking away, as there can be a briefer period between too soggy and too crisp. There's a golden zone when oil cooking, otherwise you have sweet potato chips (crisps - i.e. they are crunchy) instead of fries.

Salt to preference if desired - maybe use kosher instead of table salt for a bit of variance if you add salt.

Women don't owe men anything. Not a smile. Not sex, Not even empathy or compassion. Men don't owe women anything either. Not interest. Not resources. And definitely not commitment or children.
-----
Somewhere in a lonely hotel room there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2AM.
------
So, I'll Do It - I guess there's nothin' to say, its all been said
I'll Do It - Make sure you want it this way, 'cause when it's done this time, I'll be gone
Demosthenes
Freezing Cold Sanity

Liked: 25304

Re: Sweet Potato fries. yay or nay?

Postby DMcG94 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Yes they definitely can be fried in regular cooking oil. I myself though prefer them to be baked. That's just me personally.

These (sweet potatoes)I would suggest paying attention to instead of walking away, as there can be a briefer period between too soggy and too crisp. There's a golden zone when oil cooking, otherwise you have sweet potato chips (crisps - i.e. they are crunchy) instead of fries.

Yeah I actually have noticed that. I do walk away but I periodically check up on the fries to make sure they're not too soggy and not too crisp.

DMcG94
Established Member

Liked: 520

Return to Food and Recipes