Rice free sushi.

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Rice free sushi.

Postby ManWithAPlan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:33 pm

I have no fucking idea why I haven't thought of this years ago, but here we are (fucking finally). Just decided to do the low carb sushi by simply not putting any rice in it.

There's a ton of ways to make it too. Here's some examples.

I'm still experimenting with it, and trying to drive the price down further, but it's pretty fucking amazing. Right now I've got shrimp, smoked salmon, and smoked oysters. I'm planning on buying half a kilo of caviar (finally found a decent place with decent prices) next week for $24.

Not sure what the total price is, but I spend about $0.40 a sheet of nori (definitely can get this shit cheaper), about $1 per roll for the smoked salmon, $0.60 per roll for the smoked oysters, no fucking clue with the shrimp since I just got them, but I'm guessing around $0.50, and then you have a bunch of vegetables and cream cheese. That's like $0.50 for the lot max, including the sauce. And instead of soy sauce I use spicy mayo (because I don't want to turn into a pussy).

The whole thing ends up costing you around $3 give or take, per meal. And it's as good, if not better than the shit you can get at average sushi places. I'm sure I could bring the cost down to $2 if I really tried, but given the caviar (which I really want to add) it will shoot back up to $2.50 or so. But $2.50 for a fucking sushi meal sounds fucking great to me. And it's all low carb.

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 39563

Re: Rice free sushi.

Postby Plague Doctor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Looks great, though I suck at rolling those bastards haha.

That first pic has a nice mix of veggies too, looks like carrots, corn, avocado, and some kind of leafy green. I'm sure those in general are cheaper than the seafood by volume and healthy too. There are probably some great unique combos you could make beyond the usual flavors. Smoked salmon + arugula + olive + mozzarella for a Mediterranean roll.

Plague Doctor

Liked: 525

Re: Rice free sushi.

Postby ManWithAPlan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Plague Doctor wrote:Looks great, though I suck at rolling those bastards haha.

That first pic has a nice mix of veggies too, looks like carrots, corn, avocado, and some kind of leafy green. I'm sure those in general are cheaper than the seafood by volume and healthy too. There are probably some great unique combos you could make beyond the usual flavors. Smoked salmon + arugula + olive + mozzarella for a Mediterranean roll.

Waiting to get the caviar tomorrow. But right now I'm doing smoked salmon + carrots + cucumbers + avocados + cream cheese. Cucumbers I get 5 for $1 so that's cheap as fuck, and carrots are just as cheap. Avocados here are $2, but they're the size of a football, so it lasts and lasts.

I think I'm going to stick with this combination for now, since it works for me. It makes for a great lunch. It's not messy, it's light, filling, flavorful, and you feel great after eating it. It's also easy, and quick to make.

And if you need help rolling them, get a mat of some sort. Bamboo mats are where it's at, but if you don't have one, use some paper towels. You just need something to distribute even pressure on the thing.

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 39563

Return to Food and Recipes