How to stop craving for Junkfood?

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

How to stop craving for Junkfood?

Postby Highlander » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:06 am

Hi!

I do fitness bodybuilding and usually I have a solid diet plan.
At the moment I do intermediate fastening for lean gains.

But I have following scenario repeading over and over again:
Once every 2 months or so I get a period of time of being exhausted from my career, sports, balancing all out and just everything.
Here i then take 3-4 days off and just relax.
Within these few days I start ordering sever times a day junkfood like macDo delivery or pizza and just do nothing productive other than eating these unhealthy crapfood and watching television.

I know the reasoning why junkfood can work as a drug and why we crave for it when we feel psychological a little down (cause it increases the production of dopamin) but still i wanna get rid of it.

So I wonder if some of you guys do know some good strategies against craving this junkfood if the urge comes up?

Best Regards,
Highlander

Highlander
BANNED

Liked: -5

Re: How to stop craving for Junkfood?

Postby Darth Sin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:30 am

Replaced junk food with healthy food. For example, replace chips and soft drinks with barley and almond nuts. Replace McDonalds and Pizza with fruits, nuts and lean meat and steam food.

It is very difficult to completely get rid of an addiction. The pragmatic solution is to channel the addictive desire onto something else for beneficial.

Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
Darth Sin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8843

Postby Reverend Henry Kane » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:49 am

For me, I went pretty low carb, which meant no bread, pasta, BEER :cry:, sugar, etc.... It sucks at first, but you've gotta be stronger than the cravings. Your willpower is, IMO, the best way to keep yourself headed down the right path.

Sure, I'd love to have a pizza, snack cakes, or a couple of beers, but I haven't had food like that in so long that it would probably make me sick at this point, and knowing that helps keep me on track. That, and the fact that I have lost a number of pounds and inches from my gut remind me that a few minutes of enjoying the carb-loaded junk just isn't worth it.

Take the human biological need to reproduce. My body, just like almost every other guy's out there, has told me on numerous occasions that I need to go out and knock some broad up and have kids. Will I have kids? Hell no. Junk food addiction is no different. Your body is going to crave and crave the junk for a while, but if you cut it out and completely avoid it, your body will adjust and soon you'll notice it's a lot easier to simply ignore those cravings and reach for something healthier.

"Who is John Galt?"
Reverend Henry Kane
Spammer Banner

Liked: 9811

Postby xtc » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:59 am

It's tough. Junk food does work as comfort food. You genuinely get a short term lift in exchange for a long term down.
The temptation becomes overwhelming when you are at a low ebb for whatever reason.

Junk food is also easy. You don't have to plan, shop, and cook. You can get a take out in ten minutes and then stuff your face.

1. Write down a plan to follow when you get into this situation. Your human brain is struggling and your lizard brain is taking over, so don't rely on thinking in the moment. Do your thinking and stiffen your resolve beforehand.
2. Be realistic. Plan to have a small, controlled lapse. Avoid the binging and downward spiral. Plan to have one chocolate bar and be done with it, guilt free. Don't make a decision in the moment or you'll take ten chocolate bars and binge.
3. Try to avoid getting into this situation. If you know you will have a tough time, see if you can plan a break in the middle of it to recharge yourself, rather than crashing out at the end of it. Don't wait for the weak moments to come and then try to fight them. Work out your whole lifestyle and schedule to avoid temptation in the first place. It's interesting that the Lord's Prayer doesn't say "Help us to fight temptation" but rather "Lead us not into temptation". It's easier to control your circumstances than your reaction to circumstances.
4. Plan a recovery pattern. One day off isn't too much of a problem. But it so easily becomes three or four or more. Maybe you could agree with yourself to have pizza, ice cream, and a netflix binge on one day but then make an appointment to meet a friend for a healthy breakfast to get you out of bed and out of the house. Some sort of commitment with another person is good for forcing yourself to do something. I like to schedule a one-off with a personal trainer to force myself to the gym.
5. Use substitute treats. Can you have a long bath, a lie in or something else? This is hard because food is quick, easy, and cheap. Most substitutes I can think of take more time, effort, and money. Maybe you could find substitute food? For example a delivery pizza is easy and comforting. Could you get a delivery of something healthy instead? At least you get the convenience. Again, do the research beforehand. Find a place that delivers healthy food you like and have the contact details to hand. Delete contact details for pizza and have contact details for healthy food accessible. Make it easy to do the right thing and harder to do the wrong thing.
6. Understand willpower. It is a finite resource that you consume at a furious pace. You can't use willpower to win a long war. Instead you need to create habits so that you do the right thing on autopilot when you are at a low ebb. Use willpower to establish systems that make habits easy. For example, planning a detailed contingency plan as above.

xtc
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 5992

Postby Demosthenes » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:18 am

Another way is to stop eating take out/fast food.

Kill the diet carbonated drinks too. The artificial sweeteners are awful. If you do want an ok artificial sweetener to cut down on sugar intake for drinks you fix at home, try a Stevia extract. Price things, because some artificial sweeteners are fucking expensive as hell (Splenda name brand).

Fast Food/Takeout is heavy in sugar, and salt.

You don't know the source or quality of ingredients.

Can you really trust the people who prepare your food?
You never know if someone might have tampered with the food. Did they wash their hands? Are they sick? Did they wipe their nose? - and those are just the minor accidental/memory related things.

Really sick would be the deliberate things people might do for no reason at all, for having a bad day, whatever - and to top it all off, you're paying someone making a low wage to make your food and you can't truly trust much about the fiord or how it was prepared..

If you need some other motivation on fast food and take out, there is also the cost factor.

I've known people spending 5 dollars a day on breakfast, and 10 to 15 dollars a day on lunch. Then they wonder why they have so little money. That's 75 to 100 dollars a week on food (5 day work week, weekends not included), not counting what they do for dinner during the work week, and doesn't include the time and travel (gas) costs either. So in a month, three to four hundred dollars on food before they even make a grocery list for what they fix at home.

Cooking your own food - for me - the meals are just more satisfying. I know what went into every one.

Of course you have to avoid a lot of preprocessed and frozen junk too. Frozen pre-processed junk food is still frozen junk food.

Women don't owe men anything. Not a smile. Not sex, Not even empathy or compassion. Men don't owe women anything either. Not interest. Not resources. And definitely not commitment or children.
-----
Somewhere in a lonely hotel room there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2AM.
------
So, I'll Do It - I guess there's nothin' to say, its all been said
I'll Do It - Make sure you want it this way, 'cause when it's done this time, I'll be gone
Demosthenes
Freezing Cold Sanity

Liked: 23392

Postby EddieS » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:26 am

Its sugar and salt that are the enemy. Keep your cravings and feed them with naturally salty and sweet things. Like fruit, honey, olives, pickles, cheese.

There is nothing wrong with salt and sugar. Its the shit they process with them that isn't so great.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14671

Postby Notorious GIT » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:18 am

Spending even a week on a strict diet plan eliminates my cravings. We (Entreri and myself) got back into training and eating correctly for only two weeks or so prior to Christmas, during which we planned to pig out and be drunks. We hardly did half of what we planned regarding this, and honestly, half the time it was just going through the motions of taking a break for me. I found I didn't even really crave it. Being back to the lean gains diet was a welcome relief.

Having substitutes helps. We use the keto diet, and sugar free whipped cream, jellos and cherry coke zero are our sanity savers. Leaves me craving nothing but my next time at the gym. I don't even really *want* to eat anything, I just want to do it when I'm supposed to to support getting stronger than fuck. Not even that, stronger than TWO fucks.

I shall crush my old 1RMs like the weak puny girly bitches they are and ascend to new heights of monstrous freak beast! RAWR!

In other words, get obsessed. I just got done lifting about 90 minutes ago, and if I thought it wouldn't hurt the gains, I'd go do it the fuck again right now.

Plus, I know that if I don't eat right and lift right, the boogey-lifter-man will be under my bed and bench press me to death.

I check under the bad every night and leave him protein cookies and whole milk like Santa just in case I fucked up.

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire

Liked: 36023

Postby Highlander » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Darth Sin wrote:Replaced junk food with healthy food. For example, replace chips and soft drinks with barley and almond nuts. Replace McDonalds and Pizza with fruits, nuts and lean meat and steam food.

It is very difficult to completely get rid of an addiction. The pragmatic solution is to channel the addictive desire onto something else for beneficial.

This does not work bro:(
Reason is that those healthy stuff which I usually consume does not release so many luck hormones in our brain like the high-fat/high sugar stuff...

Highlander
BANNED

Postby Highlander » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Great posts by the way @ all of you!
Lots of good advices inside:)

Highlander
BANNED

Postby fester » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:33 pm

If you are only having junk food once a week, or once a month, my opinion is don't worry about it, your body can handle the occasional indulgence.

The problem is when one eats it exclusively, or much too often. Then it becomes a problem.

The most successful diets are ones that include a "cheat" day, where you allow yourself an indulgence once a week or so; this keeps you from falling off the cliff and eating six whole pizzas.

YMMV....moderation in all things works for me.

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
fester
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25252

Postby Hoser » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:37 pm

For me the biggest motivation I have to eat healthy is to be able to give a big 'fuck you' to a society and culture that wants to keep you fat, weak and lethargic. Of course junk food is convenient and tastes great. They manufacture it to be that way. It's not by accident. Our food supply has turned to shit and it takes real effort and willpower to choose to fuel your body with real food.

Making your own meals from healthy, natural ingredients gives you a sense of power and control over your own life.
It makes you feel superior to the average lazy fatass because you fucking are.

Hoser
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1659

Postby mongolking » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 pm

After being away for nearly 5 months, drinking 5 pints a lager and eating pork chops (or the like) every day, I came home 20lbs heavier than when I left.

Soon as I weighed myself, I started a new Excel spreadsheet, made a note of everything I ate, weighed it on a kitchen scales, looked up it's calorie rating, and calculated exactly how much I was shoveling down every day.

Once you see the numbers, as in weighing yourself every morning on an accurate bathroom scales, and the contribution your diet is making to it, your own better judgment will take over.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 24271

Postby chiefbrownmonk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:48 am

We are John Galt.
chiefbrownmonk
Established Member

Liked: 2471

Postby Primus_Pilus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:13 pm

How I beat the junk food. This is not the FASTEST way to build muscle / lose weight but you're trying to build a lifelong habit not just beat it for a while

1) Have fruits in the morning
I add fruit to my protein shakes and I am not afraid to add plenty of pineapple, banana and berries to bring up the flavor. Your body burns the fruit sugar off while it's busy with the protein powder as well.

2) ZERO sodas / refined sugar
Ditch all the cokes, Dr Peppers and Mt Dew. Skip the diet stuff because it's only going to tempt you back. Flavor your water if you must but do it with smaller and smaller amounts of sugar free kool aid and drink 64 ounces a day minimum. The sugar cravings will drop off over time.

3) Cheat one day a week
Allow yourself one day a week to eat what you like. At first you'll eat a LOT on those cheat days but over time as you feel better and better you'll drop extra cheat meals. I'm down to one meal a week of pasta or some ice cream. It's working.

4) Forgive yourself.

It's a marathon, not a sprint and we are not 100% reliable machines. If you mess up, make a tony punishment like nothing but water for 24 hours and then look forward to your cheat day.

As far as results? In 4 months I have added 80 pounds to my bench and 50-60 pounds to every other muscle group's workout exercises, so I think I'm onto something. [Dropped 5" off the waist as well]

Discipline is a muscle and has to be trained up.

Someone really should do something about this. Women at risk of living life is just unacceptable.
Maybe the platter should be made bigger and more silvery.
Alphas do, betas explain.
Primus_Pilus
Established Member

Liked: 4980

Postby eric123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm one week into Whol30 right now. Trying to purge sugar from my diet. Feels like I am am starting to come out of the fog, should be feeling much better in another week.

eric123

Liked: 291

Return to Food and Recipes