Cooking tips

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Cooking tips

Postby No4Dad » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Not mine but I watched the first video and learned a few things:

I know some of you are quite skilled and I'd say I was "average" to "below average" for cooking. Hopefully this will help some of the younger guys.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 18177

Re: Cooking tips

Postby ManWithAPlan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

And remember, the higher the heat, the faster it cooks.

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 44096

Postby Phathack » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Pro tip: If you stir coconut oil into your kale, its makes it easier to scrape it into the trash.

:ugeek:

When you life is in the suck, just don't give a fuck.
A member of the Basket of Deplorables, 2016
A irresponsible, free-roaming male, considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993.
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9944

Postby Merlin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:27 pm

That video has some great tips. I have taught several people how to cook and the two most surprised reactions I get are to the carryover and drying the meat. Lots of people seem to think because you have taken the item off the heat it stops cooking. The drying the outside of meat, fish, poultry just never seems to occur to them.

That brings me to a point that was not covered in the video. Same a drying off the outside of meat. Let any butter you put in a pan stop foaming before putting anything in it! The foam indicates water boiling off from the butter. That means its temperature is still way below where you want it. Most butter is anywhere from 12 to 18 percent water!

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 11252

Postby mongolking » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

I like to think I'm a half decent home cook, but I picked up a lot from this. Great post.

p.s. Merlin: Great tip on waiting for butter to stop foaming before frying with it. I've been doing this automatically, but I never really thought about why.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 26537

Postby No4Dad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am

The biggest thing for me: Prep everything before starting. I don't do that and end up rushing around trying to save time by scrambling but it's dumb. Prep before cooking makes so much more sense.

Be sure to check the comments for all of the "perfect cooks" ripping him apart.

It's funny, the guy didn't say he was a chef, just that he was pretty good in the kitchen and had learned things over time which has helped him and he wanted to share. People just can't help but post shitty comments to fucking everything.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby No4Dad » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:49 am

I actually tried what was shown in the video tonight.

I'm normally a "one pot" guy. If I can do things in one pot then it's less cleanup - that's how I think.

After doing the whole stir fry thing I realized: That's kind of stupid (the "one pot" thing). It really didn't take much more time and it was strangely satisfying to prep everything and take my time at cooking a meal. The end result was really good, too, and this is my first time out doing this sort of thing. I pretty much never use the stove or oven. I've always used a toaster oven to heat up the meat/meal and been OK with that. This gave me something else to work with and explore.

At first, I was thinking that by the time I buy all the bits it was going to be an expensive meal. Well, initially, it sort of is but you don't go through a bottle of oil or spices in one meal (lots of meals in each of those). By expensive I mean: I could have just gone to a restaurant and gotten something and not dealt with it. The main ingredients are pretty cheap, though, and there's more than one meal in what you buy.

It was a good experience.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Merlin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

No4Dad wrote:At first, I was thinking that by the time I buy all the bits it was going to be an expensive meal. Well, initially, it sort of is but you don't go through a bottle of oil or spices in one meal (lots of meals in each of those). By expensive I mean: I could have just gone to a restaurant and gotten something and not dealt with it. The main ingredients are pretty cheap, though, and there's more than one meal in what you buy.

It was a good experience.

I learned how to cook on the cheap from my mom. Last of three sons so she had to teach someone. Every time I see those EBT (food stamp) articles about how a person can't possibly live on $4.40 a day I laugh.

No, you can't really live on $4.40 a day but you damned sure can live on $127 a month! It won't be easy but you can certainly get all your calories and quite a bit of fresh produce if you shop wisely and eat what's on sale.

The biggest thing that you have to do is what you said No4Dad, "there's more than one meal in what you buy."

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 11252

Postby Hoser » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I make stir fry all the time. Never bothered to salt or dry the meat like he does. I tried it his way. Tasted about the same to me, but no big deal.

When comparing it to a restaurant meal you have to remember that the restaurant one will be fried in the cheap, shitty, unhealthy oil. Likely vegetable oil that has been re-heated too many times for that nice carcinogenic flavour.

Hoser
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1816

Return to Food and Recipes