Sauerkraut

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Sauerkraut

Postby mongolking » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Never thought I'd ever be doing this. Writing the praises of cabbage. But here I am.

Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage. You basically slice a cabbage as thinly as you can (after cutting out the dense root part), stick it in a bowl, and sprinkle a small amount of salt over it, at a rate of 20gm per kilo of cabbage (an ounce per 3lb). Every hour or so, you work the cabbage and salt together with your fingers. The salt draws out all the moisture in the cabbage, and makes it go limp. It also kills off all the undesirable micro-organisms, leaving only a few more desirable ones. The ones that make the lactic acid which pickles the cabbage, both preserving it and improving the taste.

After several hours, the cabbage is ready to bottle. I wash a litre jar, then place it in the oven at 200C, and as soon as it's at that temperature, turn the oven off and let it slowly cool. When it's cool, in goes the limp salty cabbage. I ladle it into the jar with a spoon, and pack it in as hard as I can with a wooden spoon. When the jar is almost full, I top it up with the juice lying at the bottom of the sauerkraut bowl, and loosely screw down a lid. Loosely matters, because over the next two to three weeks, the cabbage will ferment and give off gases. If the lid is too tight, the jar will explode under pressure.

Also, while it ferments, the smell will be reminiscent of fart. If you're ok with this, by all means, arrange your sauerkraut around the living room.

I prefer to place the jar in a bucket, cover it with a towel, and place it under the house in a dark place. No light means no algal growth, which means better chances of success (the towel keeps the flies off).

Three weeks later, when there are no more bubbles rising in the jar, into the fridge it goes, to be consumed at your pleasure.

Nothing goes better with sauerkraut than good sausage. Cover a plate with kraut, drop on a couple of well-cooked favorite sausage, and maybe a couple of boiled new potatoes. Fantastic.

If you can get good rabbit, boil it slowly in coconut milk, bacon, onions, celery and potatoes, then ladle it over a plate of kraut. Cover with spring onions, parsley and lots of pepper. Chicken will do if you can't get rabbit.

Wash it down with a hearty red wine like Merlot, Cab Sav, Syrah/Shiraz or Malbec. Be glad you're a man.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25595

Re: Sauerkraut

Postby MrPolityczny » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

mongolking wrote:Nothing goes better with sauerkraut than good sausage. Cover a plate with kraut, drop on a couple of well-cooked favorite sausage, and maybe a couple of boiled new potatoes.

Yes sausage and sauerkraut like each other, but if you want really harvest full Slavness power from the cabbage you have to make things a little more complicated...

"Love: A radioactive element with a half life of 6 months." ~Merlin

"Skipper, our intel shows that there's one sure way to a female's heart. You start with a four-inch incision..."
- Kowalski
MrPolityczny
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 18915

Re: Sauerkraut

Postby No4Dad » Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 am

MrPolityczny wrote:
mongolking wrote:Nothing goes better with sauerkraut than good sausage. Cover a plate with kraut, drop on a couple of well-cooked favorite sausage, and maybe a couple of boiled new potatoes.

Yes sausage and sauerkraut like each other, but if you want really harvest full Slavness power from the cabbage you have to make things a little more complicated...

That looks pretty awesome. I'll have to search for the ingredients. It's one of the issues I run into with some of these recipes, finding the right spices and, in this case, specific sausage / meats.

No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 16413

Return to Food and Recipes