Home Business

Hate your boss? Want a career change or landed a new job? Discussion forum for all things related to Jobs and Careers.

Home Business

Postby Mez » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:33 am

Im not sure what category this should fall into since it has elements of homesteading, business, money, etc.

But, here goes. I want to start a business from home, run by my wife, sister, and brother in law. Well, it would be run by my wife and my sister until my brother in law moves in. He has legal obligations that he must tend to in another state for the time being.

Anyway, my wife and I decided to sell our snapon franchise back to snapon. The money was not bad, but the hours are ridiculous and its a pain in the but dealing with a corporation that wants to dictate every little detail of how the business is run. All in all, my wife made us about 150K profit off the business over two years. Not too bad for a 30K investment. So, now that my wife is going to have all this free time and we have some money to get started in a home based operation, we are putting together the things we have learned over the last 6 years or so and will be producing products from home and selling them on the internet and to the local communities.

It just so happens that I am really fucking good at growing stuff. Like, that rare and expensive fish that nobody seems to be able to breed in captivity, or that rare and expensive fungus that chefs love to use but can never get enough of. Stuff like that. I have also learned how to make several products that professional breeders of rare exotic fish are constantly asking for. Such as a type of tannin concentrate that beats the pants off of anything else that is currently on the market. They use it to induce spawning in rare and expensive fish. I have also learned how to power grow the crap out of several types of rare and expensive aquatic plants, and I have figured out how to use certain types of algae to produce ten to twenty times more fish per gallon of water than anyone in the trade.

so, I have a lot of knowledge on how to do all this stuff on a shoe string budget. The only thing I have lacked is time. While I am on active duty, in a unit that deploys every year, I simply cannot run a business from home. That is where my wife and sister come in.

Over the last several months, I have managed to get them both pretty excited about the idea of running a business from home. They are now constantly bouncing ideas off of each other and myself, which is a good indication that they will do the leg work to get it going. I figure in the current local market, I can expect to sell about 80K worth of gourmet mushrooms per year once its up and running, and producing that much is pretty easy. We have the space, and plenty of agricultural waste that we can get for free seeing as all of our next door neighbors are farmers. I also figure I can produce several hundred dollars worth of aquatic plants and fish per week. Marketing them is a little more difficult, but 1k per month is about what I was selling when I was doing this as a hobby when I was in California. Since already have all the equipment, it should only cost us in electricity. On top of that, I can stable horses on my property. My sister loves working with horses and can even train them, so that is something else that will be bringing in money. As if all that wasn't enough, I also have a pond that I have managed to get to produce several pounds a day of a highly sought after aquatic worm, used to feed ornamental fish. I use the duckweed that grows on the pond, process it, and feed it to the worms. the duckweed grows so fast that it is a constant supply, and after it is processed, it makes good worm food. the worms sell for about 25 dollars a pound. I have also managed to use the duckweed to produce mushrooms, though it seems best as a supplement rather than a base medium.

So, all in all, we have a lot of options for making money out of our backyards. I know ya'll would be suspicious of the female involvement, but let me handle them. I have made sure to go about this in a way that ensures they will follow my lead. They have both already made sure that it is in their best interest to make our business ventures are successful and relationships pleasant. :twisted:
And my brother in law is totally stoked about it as well.

What I would like to discuss with all of you here is ideas on maketing products, different products that can be produced on our land, possible pitfalls and solutions to those pitfalls, etc, as well as any experience you all have with anything similar.
  • 1

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby Notorious GIT » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:30 am

I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.
  • 10

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
User avatar
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 5120
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 pm
Location: Over there... up there in them trees.
Liked: 35905

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.



Its a risk I take. She did fairly well in the last business venture. She cant cause me sadness. She tried for a long time and all it did was put her in a bind.

I wont stay married to her if she is not contributing.
  • 1

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby a_real_man » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Mez wrote:
Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.



Its a risk I take. She did fairly well in the last business venture. She cant cause me sadness. She tried for a long time and all it did was put her in a bind.

I wont stay married to her if she is not contributing.


Your full time job will have to be monitoring twants... if she spots another opportunity she will jump ship immediately cuz twants ain't loyal. If she sees a way to slack and make you work extra she will take it. There's a reason being a pimp is a full time job. It's cuz dealing with twats and their bullshit is a full time job. If I were you, I'd start looking for alternatives.
  • 3

I am the leader of MGTOW

Betas do it better
User avatar
a_real_man
Established Member
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:23 pm
Liked: 986

Re: Home Business

Postby EddieS » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Go with exotic fungus.

Aquarium fish and planted tanks have been a hobby of mine all my life. For periods I managed to make a bit of money out of it. As you know, the best bet is with the high value stuff. Rare L numbers (if that's what you are suggesting) you can move fast. It's a fickle industry. Hard to make a reliable income out of.

So I vote going for the fungus. Breed fish and grow plants on the side. It's good for tax free supplementary income via fish forums etc... But that's about all imo.

Breaking into the market of additives won't be easy. The big few companies like seachem, sera etc.. have it pretty well tied up. The big markets in Europe and Asia are hard to crack from where you are. Besides, you don't want to be selling an additive that gets L046 breeding like rabbits. You will crush the market and make less money than if you kept it a secret.

People have done it though. The spectrum fish food guy managed to carve a good specialist chunk for himself. So it is possible.

So I vote fungus. Big money in the right fungus at the right time. Being a reliable supplier will have the restaurants and cafes lining up if you can market to them.

I did some work for a standard mushroom farm years ago. They used to turn over 5 million a year from a 2000 square metre shed with 15 employees. The price hasn't fallen since then. So it's just a matter of getting into the supplier circle. I say just, but I'm sure that's not overly easy either.

Best of luck to you. As you say, time is the issue. Just try to do one thing at a time I guess.
  • 1

the dark isn't dark
User avatar
EddieS
Grungle
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Riding the Min Min
Liked: 14616

Re: Home Business

Postby toadman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:12 am

Its a risk I take. She did fairly well in the last business venture. She cant cause me sadness. She tried for a long time and all it did was put her in a bind.


.....
  • 4

"We can't change prevailing winds, but we can adjust the sails."
User avatar
toadman
Administrator
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:11 pm
Liked: 6800

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:31 am

a_real_man wrote:
Mez wrote:
Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.



Its a risk I take. She did fairly well in the last business venture. She cant cause me sadness. She tried for a long time and all it did was put her in a bind.

I wont stay married to her if she is not contributing.


Your full time job will have to be monitoring twants... if she spots another opportunity she will jump ship immediately cuz twants ain't loyal. If she sees a way to slack and make you work extra she will take it. There's a reason being a pimp is a full time job. It's cuz dealing with twats and their bullshit is a full time job. If I were you, I'd start looking for alternatives.


Im not going to monitor her. if she wants to fuck around Ill just divorce her. Simpler that way.

regardless, im stuck with her until I decide to divorce her, which I wont do as long as she is profitable and cooperative. If I am going to be married to her, she might as well be making some money. Plus, if we were to divorce, its actually better for me if she is making as much if not more money than me.

One of my conditions for staying in this marriage is that my wife must make money. She wants to remain married, so she is making money.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:45 am

EddieS wrote:Go with exotic fungus.

Aquarium fish and planted tanks have been a hobby of mine all my life. For periods I managed to make a bit of money out of it. As you know, the best bet is with the high value stuff. Rare L numbers (if that's what you are suggesting) you can move fast. It's a fickle industry. Hard to make a reliable income out of.

So I vote going for the fungus. Breed fish and grow plants on the side. It's good for tax free supplementary income via fish forums etc... But that's about all imo.

Breaking into the market of additives won't be easy. The big few companies like seachem, sera etc.. have it pretty well tied up. The big markets in Europe and Asia are hard to crack from where you are. Besides, you don't want to be selling an additive that gets L046 breeding like rabbits. You will crush the market and make less money than if you kept it a secret.

People have done it though. The spectrum fish food guy managed to carve a good specialist chunk for himself. So it is possible.

So I vote fungus. Big money in the right fungus at the right time. Being a reliable supplier will have the restaurants and cafes lining up if you can market to them.

I did some work for a standard mushroom farm years ago. They used to turn over 5 million a year from a 2000 square metre shed with 15 employees. The price hasn't fallen since then. So it's just a matter of getting into the supplier circle. I say just, but I'm sure that's not overly easy either.

Best of luck to you. As you say, time is the issue. Just try to do one thing at a time I guess.


By exotic fungus, you mean things like shitakes and maitakes? Or do you mean the weird medicinal ones like cordyceps?

as for what type of fish, I think L046 is the only pleco I have ever had an interest in breeding. And I doubt the additive would do much as much for them as an extended photo period and increase in osmotic pressure. It did great for Betta macrostoma though. So far as the additive goes, I have no plans to mass produce anything. Just selling it as a spawning aid for certain dark water species.

Another fish im thinking about is Empire Gudgeons. Between indoor and outdoor rearing methods, I managed to get an F1 a couple years ago. If I can figure out how to increase the fry survival rate, that's a LOT of potential sellers.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby EddieS » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:03 am

Mez wrote:
By exotic fungus, you mean things like shitakes and maitakes? Or do you mean the weird medicinal ones like cordyceps?

as for what type of fish, I think L046 is the only pleco I have ever had an interest in breeding. And I doubt the additive would do much as much for them as an extended photo period and increase in osmotic pressure. It did great for Betta macrostoma though. So far as the additive goes, I have no plans to mass produce anything. Just selling it as a spawning aid for certain dark water species.

Another fish im thinking about is Empire Gudgeons. Between indoor and outdoor rearing methods, I managed to get an F1 a couple years ago. If I can figure out how to increase the fry survival rate, that's a LOT of potential sellers.


Shitake, maitake, enoki, wood ears, oysters.... All of those Asian ones have only just really started to take off I reckon. Due to their nature. To get them fresh means they can't really be imported from overseas without adding quite a lot of cost. I know a young guy who is growing oyster mushroom on sugar cane mulch in his shed. He can't grow them fast enough. He won't tell anyone how he is doing it either. Sneaky bastard :P

If you can breed L046 in numbers. You will be set. But afaik no one has reliably cracked the code yet. Then there is the slow as fuck growth rate. I guess it's a bit different in the US. Market is much bigger. But I reckon to make money on breeding, you have to be into bread and butter fish on a large scale. Or be on top of the exotic trends before they happen. Which isn't easy.
If you could breed lots of macros or empires, that would be cool. But it's still really only ever going to be pocket money. To make a good wage week in week out, you have to sell vast numbers of cheap fish, or small numbers of very expensive ones. The middle road just doesn't have many sustainable buyers. That's what I reckon anyway.
  • 0

the dark isn't dark
User avatar
EddieS
Grungle
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Riding the Min Min
Liked: 14616

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:04 am

EddieS wrote:
Mez wrote:
By exotic fungus, you mean things like shitakes and maitakes? Or do you mean the weird medicinal ones like cordyceps?

as for what type of fish, I think L046 is the only pleco I have ever had an interest in breeding. And I doubt the additive would do much as much for them as an extended photo period and increase in osmotic pressure. It did great for Betta macrostoma though. So far as the additive goes, I have no plans to mass produce anything. Just selling it as a spawning aid for certain dark water species.

Another fish im thinking about is Empire Gudgeons. Between indoor and outdoor rearing methods, I managed to get an F1 a couple years ago. If I can figure out how to increase the fry survival rate, that's a LOT of potential sellers.


Shitake, maitake, enoki, wood ears, oysters.... All of those Asian ones have only just really started to take off I reckon. Due to their nature. To get them fresh means they can't really be imported from overseas without adding quite a lot of cost. I know a young guy who is growing oyster mushroom on sugar cane mulch in his shed. He can't grow them fast enough. He won't tell anyone how he is doing it either. Sneaky bastard :P

If you can breed L046 in numbers. You will be set. But afaik no one has reliably cracked the code yet. Then there is the slow as fuck growth rate. I guess it's a bit different in the US. Market is much bigger. But I reckon to make money on breeding, you have to be into bread and butter fish on a large scale. Or be on top of the exotic trends before they happen. Which isn't easy.
If you could breed lots of macros or empires, that would be cool. But it's still really only ever going to be pocket money. To make a good wage week in week out, you have to sell vast numbers of cheap fish, or small numbers of very expensive ones. The middle road just doesn't have many sustainable buyers. That's what I reckon anyway.


the mushrooms you mention are pretty much the ones I'm thinking about going with. Oysters are incredibly easy. They grow so fast that they out compete just about anything that might infect them, and you can grow them on just about anything. I am also looking at chicken of the woods. One of the things I want to do is make mushroom jerky with whatever excess I end up with. If I can make it taste decent, there is a market for vegetarian/vegan jerky alternatives that aren't made of tofu.

The shitakes and maitakis aren't really all that hard to grow either. the method is different and they take about half a year for the first flush, but they will flush several times a year after that, for several years. i probably wouldnt bother with enokis at first just because they gotta be kept so darn cold.

When it comes to aquarium fish and such, there really isn't any money in producing any of the fish available at a box store. most of them get all their fish from fish farms in Florida, where they are raised in insanely massive quantities. Its just not economic to raise any of them in a tank. Most of the money I made before was actually in the aquatic plants and a few species of north american native fish. Ludwigia glandulosa for instance. It normally grows 1 to 3 inches per month. I found a way to grow it at 1 to 2 inches per day. I ended up selling a lot of stems. I sold a lot of cryptocorynes as well.

Elassoma gilberti is a fish I definitely want to get back into. The biologists I knew who were experienced with them used to say they had a 30% survival rate, that the other 70% were just too small when they hatched to survive. Apparently, they had spent years believing that microworms was the best first food for them. Well, I looked into that... if you google "elassoma gilberti fry" you will see a picture I took of a newly hatched fry laying in some microworms. The microworms are obviously too big for them. I tried another method of rearing them and achieved consistent survival rates over 90%.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby The Shadow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 am

Mez wrote:
Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.



Its a risk I take. She did fairly well in the last business venture. She cant cause me sadness. She tried for a long time and all it did was put her in a bind.

I wont stay married to her if she is not contributing.


Really? In this day and age? If you divorce her, she'll get a good attorney and you will be on the hook for life, in most states.

You REALLY need to read the wHORROR stories about all the men who have gone through the divorce mill, before you make such a claim.

As for dealing with women and money, you are setting yourself up for a disaster, IMO. If I were married, I would NEVER let
my wife control the paying of bills or any financial or business arrangements at all.

Trust me, I am _still_ paying for the mistakes my father made, when he allowed my mother to make EMOTIONAL decisions about their financial "planning", if you can call it that. He couldn't say NO to her, like he should have done, all too often.

They lost ALL of their life-savings due to her "mistakes" and my father had to live off of his Social Security money alone for eight years after my mother passed on, leaving him, and then me, after he died, with the awful train-wreck she left.

OTOH, my fathers younger brother NEVER allowed his wife to have anything to do with their money or finances, and it all turned out just fine for their two adult children, my first cousins.

Good luck to you, because I really think you will need all the luck you can get, unless you RULE over them with an IRON FIST!
  • 2

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
User avatar
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 am
Liked: 6582

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:14 am

The Shadow wrote:
Mez wrote:
Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.



Its a risk I take. She did fairly well in the last business venture. She cant cause me sadness. She tried for a long time and all it did was put her in a bind.

I wont stay married to her if she is not contributing.


Really? In this day and age? If you divorce her, she'll get a good attorney and you will be on the hook for life, in most states.

You REALLY need to read the wHORROR stories about all the men who have gone through the divorce mill, before you make such a claim.

As for dealing with women and money, you are setting yourself up for a disaster, IMO. If I were married, I would NEVER let
my wife control the paying of bills or any financial or business arrangements at all.

Trust me, I am _still_ paying for the mistakes my father made, when he allowed my mother to make EMOTIONAL decisions about their financial "planning", if you can call it that. He couldn't say NO to her, like he should have done, all too often.

They lost ALL of their life-savings due to her "mistakes" and my father had to live off of his Social Security money alone for eight years after my mother passed on, leaving him, and then me, after he died, with the awful train-wreck she left.

OTOH, my fathers younger brother NEVER allowed his wife to have anything to do with their money or finances, and it all turned out just fine for their two adult children, my first cousins.

Good luck to you, because I really think you will need all the luck you can get, unless you RULE over them with an IRON FIST!


I am not going to say what I have over my wife and sister, but suffice it to say that it is in their best interest to cooperate.

My wife used to waste our money. Over the last couple years though, she has made about 180K. Take away the 30K investment, and its still 150K profit over two years. Not bad at all.

So long as she is making money, Im keeping her.

EDA: My parents are kinda similar to yours. My father has let my mother make a shit tonne of emotional decisions with money. They ended up running their business into the ground and going bankrupt. They had a similar business, a tool company franchise. They stayed with us for a little while until my mother realized that I wasn't going to provide them with anything if she was going to be a bitch and try to make rules in MY house. She decided that it would be a good idea to commit some acts of domestic violence. In north Carolina. While I was recording everything.

I told her she had three options. One, she cooperates and stays and I don't release the recordings. Two, she leaves and and keeps her mouth shut about any disagreements we had and i don't release the recordings. or Three, I release the recordings to pretty much everyone as a result of her refusing to cooperate or as a result of her badmouthing my household.

She left. So far she has kept her mouth shut.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby The Shadow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 am

Mez wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Really? In this day and age? If you divorce her, she'll get a good attorney and you will be on the hook for life, in most states.

You REALLY need to read the wHORROR stories about all the men who have gone through the divorce mill, before you make such a claim.

As for dealing with women and money, you are setting yourself up for a disaster, IMO. If I were married, I would NEVER let
my wife control the paying of bills or any financial or business arrangements at all.

Trust me, I am _still_ paying for the mistakes my father made, when he allowed my mother to make EMOTIONAL decisions about their financial "planning", if you can call it that. He couldn't say NO to her, like he should have done, all too often.

They lost ALL of their life-savings due to her "mistakes" and my father had to live off of his Social Security money alone for eight years after my mother passed on, leaving him, and then me, after he died, with the awful train-wreck she left.

OTOH, my fathers younger brother NEVER allowed his wife to have anything to do with their money or finances, and it all turned out just fine for their two adult children, my first cousins.

Good luck to you, because I really think you will need all the luck you can get, unless you RULE over them with an IRON FIST!


I am not going to say what I have over my wife and sister, but suffice it to say that it is in their best interest to cooperate.

My wife used to waste our money. Over the last couple years though, she has made about 180K. Take away the 30K investment, and its still 150K profit over two years. Not bad at all.

So long as she is making money, Im keeping her.


How long do you think that will last? You just said she used to waste your money, correct?

BTW, I read your intro. You said that your wife is a "psycho-bitch" and that your father declared bankruptcy. And yet, you allow them to run a business that you own? I dont know what you have on your wife or sister, but it had better be VERY damn good.

And when I say "very damn good" it better be something that could land them in prison, not cheating on you or something similar. Sure 150k sound great, but if things go south for some reason, and you divorce her, you might end up in the Red.
  • 1

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
User avatar
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 am
Liked: 6582

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:48 am

The Shadow wrote:
Mez wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Really? In this day and age? If you divorce her, she'll get a good attorney and you will be on the hook for life, in most states.

You REALLY need to read the wHORROR stories about all the men who have gone through the divorce mill, before you make such a claim.

As for dealing with women and money, you are setting yourself up for a disaster, IMO. If I were married, I would NEVER let
my wife control the paying of bills or any financial or business arrangements at all.

Trust me, I am _still_ paying for the mistakes my father made, when he allowed my mother to make EMOTIONAL decisions about their financial "planning", if you can call it that. He couldn't say NO to her, like he should have done, all too often.

They lost ALL of their life-savings due to her "mistakes" and my father had to live off of his Social Security money alone for eight years after my mother passed on, leaving him, and then me, after he died, with the awful train-wreck she left.

OTOH, my fathers younger brother NEVER allowed his wife to have anything to do with their money or finances, and it all turned out just fine for their two adult children, my first cousins.

Good luck to you, because I really think you will need all the luck you can get, unless you RULE over them with an IRON FIST!


I am not going to say what I have over my wife and sister, but suffice it to say that it is in their best interest to cooperate.

My wife used to waste our money. Over the last couple years though, she has made about 180K. Take away the 30K investment, and its still 150K profit over two years. Not bad at all.

So long as she is making money, Im keeping her.


How long do you think that will last? You just said she used to waste your money, correct?

BTW, I read your intro. You said that your wife is a "psycho-bitch" and that your father declared bankruptcy. And yet, you allow them to run a business that you own? I don't know what you have on your wife or sister, but it had better be VERY damn good.

And when I say "very damn good" it better be something that could land them in prison, not cheating on you or something similar. Sure 150k sound great, but if things go south for some reason, and you divorce her, you might end up in the Red.


yep.

My father is out of the picture now. I tried to give him a job as an assistant, but it became obvious pretty quickly why their business failed. We decided to get out of it because we got tired of dealing with the hours and Snapons BS. They are cutting us a check for the equity that we built up in the route.

I still need to tell the rest of the story about the shift in my marriage. Long story short, I decided that I was getting a divorce because I couldn't stand my wife, and she started changing. Things got pretty good.
If they go back to being shit again, then Ill do what I did before. If we divorce, then so be it.

But for the time being, she is making money while I am in the Army. I don't see a reason to stop her from doing so. I like the money that comes in.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby deadb0y » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 am

Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

I wouldn't have a woman responsible for anything but MAYBE tend bar or wait tables for the obvious customer draw. No register, no janitorial, nothing. Won't do business with them ever again. It is ALWAYS a mistake that will end in your sadness, in all likelihood, at no even small inconvenience to them.


Have to agree with that.. I get the OP's mileage may vary but I've thrown 10k ish at my wife for business ventures over the last decade. Each one was a failure where I was somehow at fault - not her bad choices - not her weird business (non)sense! Don't even get me started on the training I've paid for too.

Business and women, especially wife, just don't mix. It's a recipe for disaster and being blamed for shit they fucked up!
  • 2

User avatar
deadb0y
Established Member
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:40 am
Liked: 2076

Re: Home Business

Postby Morgu » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Females have no place in business.

Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

GIT-Thulhu the great hath spoken. Thus shall it be. ;)

Why is it, upon seeing that Mez's wife is unsupervised for days at a time, and makes large amounts of money, my first thought is: she's whoring?

--Morgu
  • 2

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
User avatar
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 11:56 pm
Location: M.S.S MGTOW
Liked: 13124

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Morgu wrote:Females have no place in business.

Notorious GIT wrote:I couldn't even read past "run by my wife." You're doomed, full stop.

GIT-Thulhu the great hath spoken. Thus shall it be. ;)

Why is it, upon seeing that Mez's wife is unsupervised for days at a time, and makes large amounts of money, my first thought is: she's whoring?

--Morgu



lol, I had to laugh at this one.

Fuck it, maybe she is? So long as she keeps making deposits into my account, have at.

Her options are to make money or find someone else to take care of her. If she tries to rake me over the coals in a divorce, it wont end well for her.

But anyway, for the point of clarification, she would be running this business on money that she made in the last one. Nothing contributed from my paycheck. I would basically just be writing a metric fuck tonne of instructions for her to follow.

So either she makes money or she doesn't. And we stay married or we don't.

worst comes to worst, I am a polyglot who has a penchant for growing lots of shit on the cheap. I am sure I can carve a happy little piece of existence out in some third world country wilderness if the marriage thing is a wash.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Anyway, back to growing mushrooms.

I was thinking about it, and it really is the perfect homestead food. Think about it... what other can produce five to six THOUSAND pounds of food per year in about 200 square feet of growing space?

The hard part would be maintaining good spawn year after year, though I don't think that would be too hard if paired up with tissue cloning methods. Which really aren't that complicated. Just mix up some sterile agar, slice a piece of mushroom off, sanitize it, and let it grow on the agar.

While a lab isn't something that most would associate with homesteading, its not all that complicated to set up. And it isn't that expensive either. Mine cost about 800 bucks, but for mushrooms, I just use the microscope and the petri dishes for the agar plates. I could probably set one up for less than 100 bucks.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby fester » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Mez, a good source for mushroom growing supplies and information is Fungi Perfecti, I think they are in the Seattle area.
I have some experience in growing and culturing, and I'm sure that if you could supply local restaurants with just picked and hard to find varieties, you'd have a nice business going.

If you have some marketing ideas, I'd like to hear them.
  • 1

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
User avatar
fester
MGTOW Veteran
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 am
Liked: 25195

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:07 pm

fester wrote:Mez, a good source for mushroom growing supplies and information is Fungi Perfecti, I think they are in the Seattle area.
I have some experience in growing and culturing, and I'm sure that if you could supply local restaurants with just picked and hard to find varieties, you'd have a nice business going.

If you have some marketing ideas, I'd like to hear them.



Im actually reading one of Paul Stamets books right now. His books read kinda like G. Evelyn Hutchinson's "Treatise on Limnology". All the wonder of a child in the introduction, and pure hard science in the rest. Which is exactly what I like.

So far as marketing them, I figured I would start out with just the local farmers market and going to various local restaurants once we are certain we can produce a steady supply. Until we get a good handle on how much we can consistently produce, we are going to be drying the mushrooms and experimenting with making mushroom jerky. There are a few local country stores that sell a lot of locally produced products, and having chatted with several of their owners, they would love to sell some locally produced gourmet mushroom products. I figure we will have plenty to experiment with while we are figuring out how best to set up the growing operation.

We also plan on using various social media type outlets, like craiglist, facebook, ebay, etc, to sell whatever we have on hand.

One thing I learned a long time ago is to ask for a lead. So, just by going to local restaurants and asking owners and chefs if they know anyone else who might be interested in fresh gourmet mushrooms, we can probably get some bites to get started.

When I was doing this with aquarium plants, I got more business than I knew what to do with. I would usually plus up the first batch of plants and then ask them if they knew where I might find anyone else interested in either buying or trading. I figure it would probably be even easier in a local community where people generally know those around them in their field.

It probably helps that many of the shop owners that we did business with also own some of the local restaurants. We already have our name on the street as being good people to do business with. We have already been dealing with a couple hundred of the local businesses for the past two years.

I am also producing grindal worms. They are a small white worm that make some of the easiest live food for fish. Just mist them once a day and toss in a couple pieces of cat food. The cultures sell for a decent amount online. I figure why not? they take five minutes a day to tend to and cost practically nothing. And there is almost always a demand for them, even at the local pet stores. I can split the cultures every two weeks. I wont make bank selling them, but for five minutes a day, why not? the cultures sell for about 20 bucks each online, and about half that at the local pet stores. When I was in california, the pet stores that bought them couldn't hang on to them. I delivered cultures once a month to three of them. I could have done a lot more, but it was more of a hobby and a way to find people to off load my native fish that I was constantly experimenting with. I often sold them my excess blue fin killifish whenever I had too many.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby EddieS » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Mez wrote:Anyway, back to growing mushrooms.

I was thinking about it, and it really is the perfect homestead food. Think about it... what other can produce five to six THOUSAND pounds of food per year in about 200 square feet of growing space?

The hard part would be maintaining good spawn year after year, though I don't think that would be too hard if paired up with tissue cloning methods. Which really aren't that complicated. Just mix up some sterile agar, slice a piece of mushroom off, sanitize it, and let it grow on the agar.

While a lab isn't something that most would associate with homesteading, its not all that complicated to set up. And it isn't that expensive either. Mine cost about 800 bucks, but for mushrooms, I just use the microscope and the petri dishes for the agar plates. I could probably set one up for less than 100 bucks.



If you have the knowledge and skills to tissue culture at properly, forget all the other stuff. Just do that. Hunt down good, exotic mother stock. Get the Mrs to buy 2 vector cabinets and equip, make a environment controlled room, teach her to do it properly.

Tissue culture is the future of commercial production. It's a massive growth industry.

If I wanted start a business today. I would seriously be looking at starting a tissue culture lab. There aren't many around. The successful ones can produce fast enough, and are basically printing money.
  • 0

the dark isn't dark
User avatar
EddieS
Grungle
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Riding the Min Min
Liked: 14616

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm

EddieS wrote:
Mez wrote:Anyway, back to growing mushrooms.

I was thinking about it, and it really is the perfect homestead food. Think about it... what other can produce five to six THOUSAND pounds of food per year in about 200 square feet of growing space?

The hard part would be maintaining good spawn year after year, though I don't think that would be too hard if paired up with tissue cloning methods. Which really aren't that complicated. Just mix up some sterile agar, slice a piece of mushroom off, sanitize it, and let it grow on the agar.

While a lab isn't something that most would associate with homesteading, its not all that complicated to set up. And it isn't that expensive either. Mine cost about 800 bucks, but for mushrooms, I just use the microscope and the petri dishes for the agar plates. I could probably set one up for less than 100 bucks.



If you have the knowledge and skills to tissue culture at properly, forget all the other stuff. Just do that. Hunt down good, exotic mother stock. Get the Mrs to buy 2 vector cabinets and equip, make a environment controlled room, teach her to do it properly.

Tissue culture is the future of commercial production. It's a massive growth industry.

If I wanted start a business today. I would seriously be looking at starting a tissue culture lab. There aren't many around. The successful ones can produce fast enough, and are basically printing money.


I think I would be better off teaching my sister how to do tissue culturing than my wife. It is something I really want to get back into eventually. I used to makeshift the crap out of everything to do it. I used to use a fish tank turned on its side with plastic taped to it as the chamber, and sanitized tissue samples with gluteraldehyde since any remnant acted as a fertilizer. But that was when I was collecting aquatic plants from all over the place.
tissue culturing really isn't all that difficult with plants. Just mix the agar with the fertilizers, add some 6-bap, and if needed, some rooting hormone. Then sanitize and transfer your sample, shine a light on it and let it do its thing. Aquatic plants typically don't benefit from the rooting hormone though.

I haven't done any tissue culturing with mushrooms yet, but from what I have been reading about it, it doesn't seem very complicated. The part that seems the most tricky is spawning them from spores. Knowing me, I would at some point want to create hybrid strains.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:38 am

so, I was looking at Fungi Perfecti's website, going over all the lab equipment, and damn. That shit is expensive!
I guess they have to make their money too, since they are not a direct seller of the equipment.

A lot of the lab equipment they sell can be had cheaper or improvised a LOT cheaper. I find it odd that they don't have any microscopes for sale. Microscopes are incredibly cheap nowadays. Especially if you are willing to buy one of the old american opticals. I bought an old one sixty for 20 bucks from the university of florida about 12 years ago. Still works, just gotta replace the bulb from time to time.

Maybe that is why they dont sell microscopes... the market is flooded with them.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114

Re: Home Business

Postby Slade » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Mez wrote:One of my conditions for staying in this marriage is that my wife must make money. She wants to remain married, so she is making money.


The nice judge at divorce court might have a different idea about who will be in a bind should you divorce. Hint: It won't be her.
  • 1

User avatar
Slade
MGTOW All-Star
 
Posts: 5549
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: Rocky Mountain West
Liked: 31914

Re: Home Business

Postby Mez » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:07 am

Slade wrote:
Mez wrote:One of my conditions for staying in this marriage is that my wife must make money. She wants to remain married, so she is making money.


The nice judge at divorce court might have a different idea about who will be in a bind should you divorce. Hint: It won't be her.


and it will be worse off for me if she is not making money than if she is.
  • 0

User avatar
Mez
PROSPECT
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 am
Location: somewhere, doing my thing
Liked: 114


Return to Jobs and Careers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Reputation System ©'