Tester forced into development activity , HELP !

Hate your boss? Want a career change or landed a new job? Discussion forum for all things related to Jobs and Careers.

Tester forced into development activity , HELP !

Postby Naadvis » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:01 am

I have been a manual tester ( ya I know, I belong to the stone age :| ) for 7 years now

But from past a couple of years, thanks to me being over experienced , I had to get into some automation activity to justify an old guy like me to draw paycheck every month :roll:

SO the skills I gained were more of procedural programming using c# , you know copy builds, run simple scripts , develop applications to do simple tasks

But now the bloodsuckers at work above me have not had enough , they forced me into a full fledged automation team which deals with running tests using a framework developed in some other country , of course in c#, .Net

While I somehow managed to run tests using Nunit and with generous amount of patience from a colleague, this aint gonna last long as they now want me to contribute in framework , And here even basic concepts of OOPS are not implementable by my thick skull

I request someone to give some Ideas to gain some skills in OOPS and also maybe understand a framework built by some blokes elsewhere :?

"As much as loneliness is bad when one is single, it is infinitely worse when one is married"
"Marriage is for the rich and/or stupid"
"When you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything"
Naadvis
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8030

Re: Tester forced into development activity , HELP !

Postby deadb0y » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:58 pm

If the framework is written in OO it shouldn't be too difficult to read that, learn it AND learn OO for the given language at the same time.

I've been taking on projects in languages I know virtually nothing about for years now, as long as you understand the data structures and program flow for any given language you'll be fine!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2469

Postby Slade » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:02 pm

If you've been coding in C# you should have some understanding of object orient programming.

As for learning oop on C#, just get some Microsoft C# book, some sort of "Programming in C#" book. Most will cover the basics of oop: classes, inheritance, polymorphism, etc.

Slade
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 33110

Postby hansmoleman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Naadvis wrote:I have been a manual tester ( ya I know, I belong to the stone age :| ) for 7 years now

But from past a couple of years, thanks to me being over experienced , I had to get into some automation activity to justify an old guy like me to draw paycheck every month :roll:

SO the skills I gained were more of procedural programming using c# , you know copy builds, run simple scripts , develop applications to do simple tasks

But now the bloodsuckers at work above me have not had enough , they forced me into a full fledged automation team which deals with running tests using a framework developed in some other country , of course in c#, .Net

While I somehow managed to run tests using Nunit and with generous amount of patience from a colleague, this aint gonna last long as they now want me to contribute in framework , And here even basic concepts of OOPS are not implementable by my thick skull

I request someone to give some Ideas to gain some skills in OOPS and also maybe understand a framework built by some blokes elsewhere :?

Dude, you shouldn't try to keep up with the tech BS in the software industry unless you are a serious developer making big cash.

Learning Hp/Oracle/IBM/Sharepoint whatever testing framework and knowing how to push buttons, load scripts, ... or even write scripts is grunt work, and not a career. YOU WILL GET REPLACED.

And all these "skills" you learn won't be worth anything. Nobody will care if you are an expert in HP Quality center X years from now. There will be some other flavor of the month software that you will have to learn in the future.

You have only one real path if you stay in SQA. Management.

Switch jobs and become a manger of some freshers doing the monkey work while you chill in the office watching youtube...

I know how it is. I did manual testing for 2 years, because I was a new grad and I didn't find job in my career field. Everybody that was there for 7+ years was some kind of co-ordinator/team-lead/project manager. It was just a BS job title, they fucked off most of the time and attended meetings. Imagine Wally from Dilbert.

Your other option is to change career field. Get some kind of certificate in Sys Admin and get a job at a small factory doing IT work. I'm not sure if those kinds of jobs still exist where you live (especially in India), but at our facility we've got a full-time IT guy who's been here almost 20 years. Our facility is pretty small (50 full time), so its not a lot of work day in, day out.

Install printers, make PC backups, upgrade servers, keep licenses up to date, maintain company phones... you know all that kind of stuff. It's not rocket science.

A smart individual would write batch scripts for all that shit and watch youtube/invest in stocks the rest of the day...which is what I see him doing most of the time.

Those kind of jobs are hard to find these days though, but if you look in the right places (which means not a big city...) you can find them.

hansmoleman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8039

Postby Morgu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:16 pm

hansmoleman wrote:Those kind of jobs are hard to find these days though, but if you look in the right places (which means not a big city...) you can find them.

If you can stomach the work, being SysAdmin for a small school district is exactly the job you describe. Only you have to deal with teachers (all twats), and the administrators who baby/support/spoil them. If you can stand that, you should be ok.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 14640

Postby Calloway » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:11 am

hansmoleman wrote:Your other option is to change career field. Get some kind of certificate in Sys Admin and get a job at a small factory doing IT work. ...at our facility we've got a full-time IT guy who's been here almost 20 years. Our facility is pretty small (50 full time), so its not a lot of work day in, day out.

Install printers, make PC backups, upgrade servers, keep licenses up to date, maintain company phones... you know all that kind of stuff. It's not rocket science.

We had someone like that at my office. I loved having that guy around. He was personable and would help out even on pretty mundane stuff that you might get stuck with. For instance, he helped me set up virtualization on my dev PC AND showed me how he went about it.

They replaced him with a "Network and Systems Group" that come in once every couple of weeks. If you have a problem, you can call their number and get added to the queue, and they have no problem telling you that your request doesn't fall in their scope of responsibility.

I'm waiting for the CEO to have a problem with his laptop and him not being able to reach anyone at their 24/7 hotline number. That's all that it took last time they tried outsourcing all this, and we had an IT guy in-house within a week.

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Liked: 14121

Postby hansmoleman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:10 am

Morgu wrote:
hansmoleman wrote:Those kind of jobs are hard to find these days though, but if you look in the right places (which means not a big city...) you can find them.

If you can stomach the work, being SysAdmin for a small school district is exactly the job you describe. Only you have to deal with teachers (all twats), and the administrators who baby/support/spoil them. If you can stand that, you should be ok.

--Morgu

That's exactly what I was recommending to Naadvis.

Dealing with twats is easy, as long as you keep them distracted, and don't become the subject of conversation.

Since it's a school, you actually have it easy, because the twats actually have to work... sort of.. :)

Being an IT worker in a big office building where there are hundreds of twats working white collar desk jobs in marketing, communications, HR, accounting, sales, ... can you imagine?

hansmoleman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8039

Postby deadb0y » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:31 am

hansmoleman wrote:Your other option is to change career field. Get some kind of certificate in Sys Admin and get a job at a small factory doing IT work. I'm not sure if those kinds of jobs still exist where you live (especially in India), but at our facility we've got a full-time IT guy who's been here almost 20 years. Our facility is pretty small (50 full time), so its not a lot of work day in, day out.

This is exactly what my job entails. I have to do the odd bit of PHP/Perl web dev, manage a magento installation and come up with web based UI's for all manor of stuff but most of my time is spent wandering around with a pen and a Filofax looking busy. Sometimes I have to fix things when they go wrong. I've got 30 PC's and 3 servers to manage along with any other "tech" stuff which, around here, can be putting a new plug on a freaking kettle!

This is a much easier life than writing code for 8 hours a day, pay is OK too but more importantly, I have freedom!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2469

Return to Jobs and Careers