Is this normal and appropriate?

Hate your boss? Want a career change or landed a new job? Discussion forum for all things related to Jobs and Careers.

Is this normal and appropriate?

Postby thenamelessone » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:10 am

I've been working for the same company as a pharmacist for a few years, and I've noticed a certain pattern of behavior demonstrated by my boss. As a rule:

- He disapproves of pharmacists associating with staff (including other pharmacists) from other pharmacies outside of work. He cautioned me against even catching up with former mentors from my past jobs.

- He strongly discourages staff (particularly pharmacists) associating with staff who have left the business on anything less than stellar terms... and almost everyone who leaves the business leaves on poor terms. It's gotten to the point where he has pulled certain staff up for attending farewell parties for staff who have resigned, and gotten shitty because a the wife of a guy who worked with the company happened to be friends with an employee who had left the company to go to the competition.

- He hates it when someone helps someone who has resigned from the company to find a new job, either by giving them a reference or referral.

I haven't really worked for many companies, but I'm starting to find his mentality a bit disturbing. I understand that any sane boss is going to be a bit cagey about their employees forming friendships with former employees/employees from competition, but why the fuck would they care if the former employee is working in an unrelated field?

thenamelessone
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1499

Re: Is this normal and appropriate?

Postby Eddie Willers » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:20 am

Inappropriately controlling - especially about cautioning you against seeing former mentors...none of his goddamned business.

I suggest you begin a discreet job search or, if you think you will be supported, speak to the organization's HR staff.

A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4219

Postby hasmat » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:30 am

Your boss is a unprofessional Douchebag. He's probably too unintelligent to determine why people leave on bad terms.
Idiot. It isn't a cult.

I'd start lining up an alternative.

Watch your 6.

You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
hasmat
Has 2 Y chromosomes

Liked: 10302

Postby Merlin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 am

Your boss is an abusive asshole. I know we talk a lot about women using the abuse excuse but some people ARE abusive and your boss is one of them.

He is trying to limit your friends and contacts to control you. If everyone is leaving on bad terms then the problem is him and not the employees.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 9352

Postby indianajohn » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:09 am

totally unprofessional.

No matter how attractive a woman is, somewhere, out there, some guy is sick of her shit.

Can't shake a whore tree and expect a housewife to fall out.
indianajohn
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 6925

Postby MisterPho » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:33 am

This is textbook abuser behaviour.

Get the fuck out of there at the first opportunity, preferably an opportunity of your making.

MisterPho
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 12685

Postby MrPragmatic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:28 am

I agree with everyone else who has chimed in. Who you associate with and what you do off the clock that doesn't violate the law is none of your boss' fucking business.

Thankfully I've never worked for a boss who tried to pull this controlling shit. Fuck him.

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler....
I could set the building on fire.

No wife, happy life.
MrPragmatic
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8799

Postby thenamelessone » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:35 am

Eddie Willers wrote:Inappropriately controlling - especially about cautioning you against seeing former mentors...none of his goddamned business.

I suggest you begin a discreet job search or, if you think you will be supported, speak to the organization's HR staff.

Well, the boss is the business owner, and we don't have a HR department.

I get paid well for my position, and am happy with my work. However, I'm getting more and more anxious. People fall out of grace really quickly in the company, and when they fall, they fall HARD.

thenamelessone
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1499

Postby The Signal » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:46 am

thenamelessone wrote:
Eddie Willers wrote:I get paid well for my position, and am happy with my work. However, I'm getting more and more anxious. People fall out of grace really quickly in the company, and when they fall, they fall HARD.

I'd say that's a bad sign right there. Your boss sounds like an archetypal vindictive control freak.

I think the other posters here have it right: keep your mouth shut, keep your boss happy, keep doing the job until you've secured a better one, then when you're ready, give him the two weeks notice without further comment and run for the hills.

The Signal
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 6730

Postby Pointerman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:50 am

Ditto the above. I've been a manager for a long time and the road that this guy is on it going to get him either fired or sued.

There are simply some things that a good manager knows by common sense not to do and this guy is breaking all the guidelines.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30164

Return to Jobs and Careers