culture versus strategy

Hate your boss? Want a career change or landed a new job? Discussion forum for all things related to Jobs and Careers.

culture versus strategy

Postby going this way » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:38 am

I wanted to make this a poll originally, as I see the answers more clearly than some perhaps. I have to agree with most of this post; https://www.fastcompany.com/1817137/cul ... lse-choice -because while it may be true that culture takes a long time to get good like a tree, it can be lost to fire or even chopped down faster.

Going your own way is a strategy & not really a culture, has always been a strategy before it's become a trend, sadly for some an instant strategy that may make some reminisce of "bachelor culture". Culture & strategy are both important but it must be clear which can be more beneficial through experience. I noticed in workplaces that working culture seems to be a trend perhaps, wondering what any of you have to say.

Et erunt homines se ipsos amantes, cupidi, elati, superbi, blasphemi, parentibus inoboedientes, ingrate, scelesti
going this way
GPS Relocating...

Liked: 1194

Re: culture versus strategy

Postby The Signal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:40 pm

It's a good, insightful article, and he's certainly right about the urgency of having successful short and mid-term strategies in business.

The more interesting thing to me, though, is the extent to which and the ways in which one's chosen strategy can shape one's business' culture and vice versa. They are not incompatible things, of course, but what I have seen happen is a chosen strategy inadvertently will work against a desired business culture (or the converse), which can undermine the whole institution.

So I guess the tricky thing to pull off is to figure out what kind of business culture one ideally wants, which sorts of strategies would help to build that, and then take a hard-eyed gander at what the business environment is like and an assessment of what sorts of strategies and culture it will permit (or sometimes even necessitate). Every business owner I know sincerely wants to pay his employees well, but if you're running a fast food franchise, there's just no way that's going to be an option.

The wider business environment, then, doesn't determine your company values, but it does substantially determine how nearly you can approximate them while still keeping the lights on and going toe-to-toe with competitors. "Pray for peace, but prepare for war." [paraphrased]

Feminism means we only ever blame one sex for anything.
The Signal
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9045

Return to Jobs and Careers