Need some advice about an employer's request

Hate your boss? Want a career change or landed a new job? Discussion forum for all things related to Jobs and Careers.

Need some advice about an employer's request

Postby thenamelessone » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:59 am

So I'm being temporarily transferred to cover someone who is going on holiday for 3 weeks. I'll be working 11 hours shifts four days a week (which is fine). However, he wants me to work *30* minutes for two days of the week, so the other guy working the 11 hour shift that day gets a lunch break.

Yay or nay?

thenamelessone
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1748

Re: Need some advice about an employer's request

Postby EddieS » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:23 am

That would be a split shift of sorts. In Oz, there are minimum working hours. It will vary depending on your award, or industrial agreement. However, I will safely wager there is no category where 30 Min is an acceptable minimum. The usual is 3 or 4 hour minimums on casual, or part time rates.

Who comes in to cover your 30 Min break on the 4 days you are on?

At the end of the day, it's up to you. But I wouldn't do it unless it was very worth my while. Cost and time of travel. Interruption to day off etc... That's why there are minimums.

I took the view that I am worth being paid. I'm valuable. I negotiate for every last skerrick. Then I did a fucking good job in return. If an employer doesn't value my time. Then it sets a poor precedent. Things usually only go down from there. Rarely, it is appreciated though. Only you can tell if that's the case. But having said all that. I've been self employed for most of my working life. So always chose to walk and not put up with shit. I realise it's not always that easy for many.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 16162

Postby Hoser » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Nay, it's not reasonable to ask someone to come in for only 30 minutes pay.

You don't have to be a dick about it. He was testing to see if you were enough of a chump to do it.
Just tell him you can't come in on your day off because then it wouldn't be a day off.

Hoser
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 1795

Postby TDG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Get him to add the time at the end of another shift.

Turning up to work for 30 minutes pay is barely worth the gas money.

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest

1. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it's enemy action.
2. If someone shows you who they are, believe them.
- Demosthenes
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 63093

Postby ManWithAPlan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I have no idea what situation you are in, but showing up just for 30 minutes is a "fuck that shit" thing to me. It sounds like your boss is trying to micromanage shit to the max, and this is beyond "gonna get me some popcorn" moment of "efficiency". At that point, it's just a matter of time before shit hits the fan, spectacularly might I add.

If you guys need to share lunch between the two of you, you need quite a bit of time overlapping your work hours. And I don't mean that in the "you take 30 minutes off, we expect you back in 30 minutes, or else everything will fail critically" kind of way. The boss setting this up is absolutely retarded if this is the way they do things. One emergency, one accident, one anything, and you can kiss business goodbye (and many times in spectacular fashions).

As for my advice, no fucking clue. Usually I get good with the other workers, and we make things work. But as I've said, this is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Best case for you is everything goes as planned, worst case is company goes under while you're the only one on the clock. Well, maybe not that bad, but trust me, people will make it seem that way.

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 43417

Postby Morgu » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Ask yourself: Does this benefit me, or the other guy?

If this benefits you more than the other guy, then consider doing it. If this benefits the other guy, then don't do it.

In either case, have an exit plan prepared.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15523

Postby xtc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:05 am

Coming in for 30 minutes is not OK.
Tell them you will do it, but you are charging for travel time and expenses both ways - if you are happy to do that.

xtc
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6322

Postby TheWanderer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 am

Don't do it, it makes you the chump. Women shit test, employers chump test.

They'll fuck you over in a heartbeat if it benefits them so don't inconvenience yourself for their sake. No need to be a dick or draw undue attention to yourself, just decline politely and hang up the phone.

TheWanderer
Established Member

Liked: 775

Postby deadb0y » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am

Morgu wrote:Ask yourself: Does this benefit me, or the other guy?

This.... When it comes to work if it doesn't benefit me I'm not doing it!

If your boss is willing to pay you a couple of hours for 30 minutes work, yes I'd do. Otherwise nope!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2866

Postby thenamelessone » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:17 am

Update:

I told my boss I wouldn't come in just for 30 minutes. We reached a compromise of sorts... I'd do a couple of hours on Monday, and have the other day off (he'd cover lunches for that day). An acceptable outcome.

However, I do foresee this being a problem in the future, as I'll be temporarily transferred here again in October/November, and that's when the boss is on holidays.

I get the feeling he is legally obliged to provide a proper lunch break by our professional body given the long hours worked, as there would be liability issues if an employee made some sort of mistake due to fatigue. The problem is that since it's a small business that can only support one health professional on duty, trying to actually cover for a lunch break is a logistical nightmare.

While I sympathize with him, I don't see why I should be getting screwed over.

thenamelessone
MGTOW Veteran

Postby thenamelessone » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:57 am

The plot thickens...

Started my first day at the transfer job, and the manager comes up asking about what hours I'm working. Then unbidden, she's like 'Oh, the guy you are replacing works 30 min on *most* Mondays, and *has Tuesday off completely*'.

WTF? That's not what I was told by the boss. I explained to her that I was given the impression that the guy I was replacing did the half hour shifts on Monday and Tuesday, but apparently that's stopped since he started working the extended (11) hours per day.

I thought it was a bit suspicious that the boss took my refusal to come in on Tuesday so well, but I'm actually shocked he twisted the truth like that, simply because I was bound to find out eventually.

Anyway, I get the feeling the guy I'm replacing isn't going to last, since the extended hours are wrecking him, and the boss is whinging about his performance. Remember that he is currently in the position I was demoted from. Holy Christ what a mess.

thenamelessone
MGTOW Veteran

Postby EddieS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 am

Is this pathology by any chance?

The ones in the town near me just put a sign up while they sit in there eating lunch.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 16162

Postby thenamelessone » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:16 am

Another bit of comedy...

I recently worked a public holiday. Now, since I'm paid over minimum wage, I don't get the usual 2.5x rate most employees get for working public holidays. However, when I first started, the boss made it clear we get paid at base rate for the hours we would usually be rostered on for, plus a base rate for the hours we actually work that day (effectively double time for hours worked), the whole idea being that nobody would work a public holiday if they'd get paid the same for staying home.

When I negotiated a pay increase about a year ago, he made it clear that I would continue to get paid like this for public holidays. Now I've noticed that I only got paid for time worked, and brought it to his attention, and he's like 'Huh, I don't remember us ever paying public holidays that way, but oh well, send through the hours you think you need to be paid for' even though he's clarified this with two past wage officers.

thenamelessone
MGTOW Veteran

Postby The Shadow » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 am

thenamelessone wrote:So I'm being temporarily transferred to cover someone who is going on holiday for 3 weeks. I'll be working 11 hours shifts four days a week (which is fine). However, he wants me to work *30* minutes for two days of the week, so the other guy working the 11 hour shift that day gets a lunch break.

Yay or nay?

Nope.

Had to attend a safety meeting 80 miles one way from my usual place of work. Had been working for a good company at the time.

It was on a Saturday, but we got lunch, time and a half for all the hours and mileage pay to and from the place. That is how you keep your employees happy to work for you, unlike many cheapskate outfits nowadays.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7754

Postby Slade » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:48 pm

The Shadow wrote:Nope.

Had to attend a safety meeting 80 miles one way from my usual place of work. Had been working for a good company at the time.

It was on a Saturday, but we got lunch, time and a half for all the hours and mileage pay to and from the place. That is how you keep your employees happy to work for you, unlike many cheapskate outfits nowadays.

If you're hourly and exceed 40 hours a week they have to pay you OT at 1.5x.

Slade
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 34062

Postby Eddie Willers » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Slade wrote:If you're hourly and exceed 40 hours a week they have to pay you OT at 1.5x.

In Alberta, OT doesn't kick in unless its >44 hrs/wk or >8hrs/day. I always try and schedule weekend extra time at less than 4 hours if they want Saturday - keeps their total below the 44 hour threshold and avoids the need to pay OT [Yarr, I can be a douche-y boss when I wanna' be :twisted: ]

A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4440

Return to Jobs and Careers