Hoping for the best

Bringing home the bacon! Loans, mortgages, savings, car finance, debt problems, making money, losing money, taxation, alimony...discuss all things money here.

Hoping for the best

Postby SardonicYuda » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 pm

I've decided to once again tighten my belt and work towards having some means of wealth for when I get out. Since my family situation back home is rather shaky I've accepted that I will have to cut back on sending them prepping supplies(food, water, all that good stuff), which for now allows me to doubt down on my savings and investments.

The way I look at it I can't risk putting all my eggs in one basket and even though I use a credit union, my general rule of thumb is to not trust financial institutions, especially with my bail-in concerns. I have to assume the dollar might not collapse by the time I'm done with my current contract, so I'm putting together a decent sized savings fund(for a single guy who's only expenses are internet, phone, weekly haircuts and laundry/hygiene).

It kinda helps that the military is getting a 1.6% pay increase(basically anywhere from $5 to $25 more depending on your rank and time in service). At any rate, my original goal has been to have around $19k saved up in precious metals(mostly silver). The price of precious metals does change on a daily basis, sometimes quite drastically or only by a few cents. The way I see it, if the price goes back up even modestly by the time I get out, I can sell the precious metals off(if I'm so inclined) for a decent return, or a very large one if the price ever goes up much higher.

Now I have to be aware that you can't eat gold and silver, and that I should indeed focus on guns, ammo and all the other goodies preppers go after. However, as I mentioned the hectic situation with my family, I can't exactly trust any of those assets to go there. Partly because they both lack a lot of space and in all honesty I don't want people fucking with my stuff. I trust my dad with my safe for the most part, but that's just because it doesn't take up a lot of space and would be easier for him to move in the event(hopefully) he decides to GTFO of his current relatioshit(which I'm kinda hoping to influence him to do).

I gotta say, while being single and in the military does suck, the extremely low expenses if something very gratifying. What's also good is that a good bit of the guys I work with have several of the same sentiments as I do.

But I digress. When it comes to my money, it just takes a little willpower to avoid ordering out all the damn time and cutting back on the booze to even have a good bit of cash for myself and my own stupidity. I'm honestly just hoping I'll be able to enjoy the investments I'm making in the future.

"Progress is like a herd of pigs. While the herd has many benefits, one shouldn't wonder at all the shit"
-Zoltan Chivey
"We are the cleverest monsters, and we deserve everything we've got coming"
-David Axe
"Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side"
-Treebeard, LOTR
SardonicYuda
Harbinger of the Doomed Rat

Liked: 11361

Return to Money