A worthless exchange (Engagement Rings)

Bringing home the bacon! Loans, mortgages, savings, car finance, debt problems, making money, losing money, taxation, alimony...discuss all things money here.

A worthless exchange (Engagement Rings)

Postby Merlin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:43 pm

The diamond engagement ring is the epitome of modern ignorance and relationships.

The idea that a diamond engagement ring is something that every woman should receive prior to marriage is a relatively new phenomenon. De Beers had an excess of diamonds after WWI and needed a place to sell them. Through clever marketing to The Hamster they convinced women that they deserved a diamond ring if the man was serious.

Here’s the kicker to all of that. Diamonds are worth exactly squat! De Beers has artificially held the market for diamonds high by withholding supply. Something that a lot of people are unaware of is that Russia is paid off by De Beers to NOT mine its kimberlite pipes. Russia went to De Beers with samples of its very rich kimberlite. They then told DeBeers that they would pay Russia several hundred million dollars a yet to not mine. De Beers had no choice but to agree.

If Russia stared mining, since they are not part of the cartel, the price of diamonds would plummet. Russia wins by not having to pay for mining equipment and De Beers wins by being the single source of diamonds for the world. This keeps prices high.

Why is this the epitome of modern relationships? It is because one of the most desired items that a woman wants, the engagement ring. Is virtually worthless! She wants her man to spend huge amounts of money on something that will not sell for even 20% of its cost even the very next day. It is the same as taking $10,000 and burning $8000 of it just to prove your love.

I honestly can't think of anything else that represents modern relationships better. A worthless stone for a worthless woman that you'll be lucky to get 20% of your investment returned from either one.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 9347

Re: A worthless exchange (Engagement Rings)

Postby EddieS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:01 pm

There are similar rich deposits in several places in the north of Australia. I'm unsure of the arrangement that is stopping them being mined at this stage however. Like Russia, there is enough there to totally gut the diamond market.

There is also diamond manufacturing. Diamonds can readily be made to large size and flawlessness for industrial applications. Far cheaper and safer than mining them.

At the end of the day. Something is worth exactly what another is willing to pay for it. So long as fools keep paying for a useless decoration. De beers will keep on keeping on. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that people are being taken advantage of financially over diamonds.

What bothers me is that the diamond is better than copper in almost every way in microchips. They conduct heat far better, which means they can switch many times faster as a transistor with less heat buildup. We could be running 100+ghz cpu's now if the diamond transistor could be developed. But it can't. Because its worth more as a decoration.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14624

Postby Merlin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:10 pm

The Diamond trade is about to collapse. There are far too many sources now for De Beers to completely control. It really should have collapsed about a decade ago. Not sure what is still holding it up except that most of the cutters, graders, wholesalers, etc are all interconnected via familial ties.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 9347

Postby Sharkbait » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Just imagine all the things you could do, or buy, with around $3,000, which seems to be the average price for one of these.

Cruises, spa treatments, fine dining, cinema, house & vehicle renovation, buying artwork, financing some other personal project, you name it.

And to think that someone, supposedly sane and rational, would rather have that money spent on (literally) a tiny rock. I think it's insane. And that's just the ring, we're not even in getting into the cost of an overblown wedding ceremony.

Sharkbait
Established Member

Liked: 2659

Postby fester » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:40 pm

This is one of (if not the best) uses for diamonds.

I'm serious; they will put a razor edge on your tools.

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
fester
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 25203

Postby The-Bourbonator » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:43 am

Diamonds:

Something that is completely void of any real long lasting value. Nothing more than compacted carbon. Something that can be manufactured in a factory.

Nebulous, valueless, and offering nothing of value (atleast in the form of jewelry, which is the only thing twats care about), yet we're supposed to care because, "reasons". The only thing that gives diamonds the value that they do, are the meticulous efforts of social engineers, and the idiotic hive-mind delusions of a dying culture. Something only an idiot would base great importance on. Something only an idiot would go into debt for.

Something valued only by those who do not understand what is truly valuable.

Yup. Sounds like "love" to me. There is no better symbol.

PS: Never found a diamond honing stone that I liked. Nothing substitutes a natural stone; if stone isn't enough, ceramics work much better than diamond imho.

Diamonds are much too abrasive and leave much to be desired when it comes to the finesse one needs to hone a useful tool. Work fine if that's all you have on you, but there are much better alternatives.

Again, a perfect metaphor for modern day relationshits :lol:

"One of the best things about being a hardcore cynic is that you are seldom disappointed and almost never wrong."
-MPAV8R

"Some men are domesticated and some are civilized."
-DrunkenMaster

To salvage what humanity remains within us, we must learn to embrace the wildness within us. We must plumb the depths of our ancestral memory to seek who and what we truly are, and leave the ploughshare behind us forever.
-MPAV8R

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
-Marcus Aurelius
The-Bourbonator
The Half-Blood Prince

Liked: 8711

Return to Money