Cash is still king

Bringing home the bacon! Loans, mortgages, savings, car finance, debt problems, making money, losing money, taxation, alimony...discuss all things money here.

Cash is still king

Postby Morgu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 am

Credit cards, debit cards, etc. Seems plastic is becoming the way everyone wants to you to pay for everything. Usually to make it easier to follow and track you.

Found this article on why cash is still king, good read for the younger ones among us.

Link: http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/2017/ ... 56507.html

Why You Should Carry Cash In A Credit Card Society
Monday, February 20, 2017 3:33

(Before It's News)
Why Everyone (And We Mean Everyone) Should Always Carry Cash

Image source: Pixabay.com

The use of plastic currency is very common in today’s world. In fact, stores that don’t accept debit and credit cards are becoming anomalies.

However, a little cash stash should always be included in everyone’s everyday carry supplies. There are many reasons why cash money could become important, ranging from purely convenience to absolute necessity.

When might cash matter? Aside from the idea that practicing a cash-only personal finance is a great way to keep from spending more than you can afford, cash can bail you out of sticky situations.

Off-grid establishments still exist. From a remote country gas station to a rustic hiking hostel to a roadside farm stand, you never know when you might need a little cash money to pay for what you want. Encountering a place which lacks the capability to accept plastic payment is still not that uncommon, particularly in rural areas.

Imagine the serendipity of being out for a drive and happening upon a delightful little mom-and-pop diner with the smells of your favorite food wafting from the kitchen—only to discover that they accept cash only and you have none. Sure, you could make the drive to the nearest ATM, some 10 miles of winding country road each way, but you probably would not.

Sometimes even when establishments do accept plastic, it is nice to have a little cash on hand. Paper money can make splitting the check or paying your share of the tip easier, and it is convenient to have a few dollars in your wallet when all you want is a soda or pack of gum.

Bad Stuff Happens

Having cash makes it easier to buy direct from individuals. Transactions such as getting a great deal on a vintage bureau on Craigslist or scooping up a baby stroller at a garage sale are easier with cash for everyone involved. You also might want to avail yourself of a chance to get in on a friend’s bulk purchase by buying just one pair out of a dozen gloves or a small bag of artisan flour out of a 50-pound sack. It also would be a shame to pass up a purchase of fresh delectable produce at a stand beside the road, or to miss an opportunity to donate a few dollars to a good cause because you did not have money handy to do so.

Having cash on hand also can be more than just a matter of convenience. Stuff happens. Stuff like forgetting your purse at a friend’s house—or your wallet in your other jacket pocket—and not realizing it until your gas tank is too low to go back for it. And stuff like searching for a store at midnight when you suddenly realize you are completely out of disposable diapers and finding that the only store open has a broken card machine until the repairperson arrives the next morning. And even stuff like rushing to a meeting and not having cash for a toll highway or parking area and ending up late because of detour.

Crazy Gadget Makes Every Window A Cell Phone Solar Charger

And those possible situations are just everyday occurrences. If a minor emergency were to happen, the need for cash could become even more important. In the event of something like a power outage, small stores without generators would be able to serve only cash customers. If the precipitating event continued, generators in larger places could eventually fail, as well.

In the event of a major disaster, cash will be vital, at least for a period of time. In a true catastrophe, it is possible that all representative currency could eventually become valueless. But in the interim, having cash could mean the difference between comfort and suffering, and could possibly contribute to your very survival.

The advice to always keep cash on hand is all well and good, but is not easy to do. Probably the biggest barriers to stashing cash are related to how difficult it is to avoid spending the money as fast as you get it. There is no magic bullet, but everyone can do it.

AWhy You Should Carry Cash In A Credit Card Societyn Easy Way to Do It

As far as pocket money goes, for those little gotchas like emergency gas and unforeseen parking fees and middle-of-the-night baby necessities, it makes sense to keep the stash in your car. One way to do this is to keep a little covered dish—a recycled pint container such as the ones sour cream or cottage cheese come in—in your car. Tuck it away out of sight so thieves cannot see it. Start out by just dropping your coins into it every time you get change in the drive-through or coins back at a toll booth. Add a few bills here and there as you can spare them, never enough so you miss the money but sufficient to add up over time.

If the container-at-your-fingertips idea works for you, great. If, however, you cannot resist frequently dipping into your money dish, try hiding a little money in areas of your car that are less convenient to access. Most cars have places to stow items so that they are not accessible to the driver. Try tucking some money away in the trunk or under the back seat, and when you are faced with the choice of pulling over and digging out a stashed $10 bill versus dipping into your wallet, you will choose the latter.

Once you know you have a solid emergency stash in the back of the car, keep trying to keep a money container within reach. Eventually, you can make it work.

Building up a supply of money at home for true disasters works on the same principle. Start small and move up, with a $5 in a decorative cookie jar and $20 in an empty toothpaste box in the bathroom cabinet and another few bills tucked between the pages of an old book. Choose hiding spots in places you don’t look in often, and in places where would-be thieves may not find, either.

But where does this money come from to begin with if you are in the habit of using exclusively plastic and electronic transactions? You will need to be proactive about it, especially at first. You can get a little cash back every time you use a card at the grocery store, withdraw money from your account at an ATM, or develop a habit of doing more trading in cash.

There is no disputing the fact that we are quickly becoming a cashless society, and I am not suggesting that we can or should resist that trajectory. But I do maintain that everyone needs to have a little cash, on their person, in the car, or at home—and preferably all three—for convenience and emergencies.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15523

Re: Cash is still king

Postby Slade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 am

In many parts of Europe plastic isn't used all that much and people pay with cash. I met someone over there who was telling me that when they took their USA vacation that they brought something like $6000 cash with them to pay for hotels, meals, etc. Of course my first thought was "Dude, what if you got robbed or lost the cash?" If you lose your AMEX card American Express will get you a replacement in 24 hours.

Slade
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 34062

Postby mongolking » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 am

Slade wrote:In many parts of Europe plastic isn't used all that much and people pay with cash. I met someone over there who was telling me that when they took their USA vacation that they brought something like $6000 cash with them to pay for hotels, meals, etc. Of course my first thought was "Dude, what if you got robbed or lost the cash?" If you lose your AMEX card American Express will get you a replacement in 24 hours.

That was my experience in the southern Mediterranean as well.

A lot of restaurants and small hotels are little family businesses - most don't even have bank accounts. Hiding their money from the government is a centuries old tradition (and a quick look at their country's history bears out the wisdom of their caution). They do everything with cash, and I suspect they keep all their takings in a safe or somewhere in the house.

There's some interesting differences because of it. If you want to really please a Greek owner of a small restaurant, pay the bill in small notes and lots of coins. Because they probably have no dealings with a bank, small change is a continuous problem for them - anyone in our part of the world who has run a small business where most purchases are paid for with cash will appreciate how necessary those rolls and rolls of change bought from their bank is. Often I've handed over a large note in a Greek establishment, fresh from an ATM, and then seen the owner run up and down the street looking for one of his small business neighbors who might be able to change it. On those occasions when I've had a pocket full of brass, and paid with that, they break into a big smile and are delighted. They're far happier with a table loaded with small change than with any tip (tipping is a bit strange to them, and something they really only associate with North Americans. It can be awkward at times, since they see it as money for nothing, and that makes it suspect).

Another difference is that they may pay close attention to the cash you pay them with. If any of the notes are worn, they may not accept them, even though they're perfectly legal tender. That's because if they don't have a bank account, they can't pass off a worn note to the bank (which has systems in place for dealing with worn out currency). Every note or coin they get must be acceptable to others as viable currency, and it's difficult to give paying customers a 5 or 10 euro note in their change that is held together with sticking tape.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 26089

Postby Notorious GIT » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 am

Another fun bit of fuck which is the reason I always carry cash:

About a year and a half ago, I had fraud attempts on my accounts. ALL of them. Five separate attempts to fraudulently charge about $100 for women's sporting apparel by some fuck in China. Three debit cards and two credit cards became useless... the same morning I needed to start a 12ish hour drive to work in a different state for the week.

Apart from gas, I'd need to be able to buy food for the week. If not for the fact that I carry $500 on me and keep another $100 or more hidden in my car, I would have been proper fucked. Hell, I have three different debit cards for three different banks AND two credit cards just in case one or two get cancelled for fraud, but all FIVE cards got hit and cancelled within hours. Great fraud protection, sure, but what to do until I get replacement cards? With no cash, I'd have had to turn around, go home, and call in to work, probably for the week, costing me well over a grand easily.

But with cash on hand, I barely noticed. Didn't even sweat when I'd get my replacement cards. If I didn't get them that weekend when I return home? I keep more cash on hand at home. Didn't inconvenience me any more than a few phone calls to arrange for replacement cards, and I was on the road anyway, so it's not like I was too busy to make those calls.

Similarly, another guy I work with learned the hard way to carry cash. He had an even longer drive to do, and discovered well into it at a gas station that his account had been frozen by the IRS (for what turned out to be, of fucking COURSE complete bullshit ass "reasons"). With no cash on hand, his trip was over right there. He had to get a hotel on the company card, which he couldn't use for gas, and ask a brother to Western Union him some money, which took until the next day, because Western Union is, for that and many other reasons, a bunch of useless cuntsucks.

Also, keep some trade-able commodities on hand. Gold, silver, great, sure, but it has no use and can't be eaten. Here's some big news that might shock everyone: we have enough ammo to supply a few rifle companies and an entire police precinct with full duty/combat loads. And if you can't trade it, well, it's more useful than an ATM card in a collapsey type situation. For completely, ah *cough* ethical applications.

Before it's finally said and done, as the final bill comes due, you will know:

I am Hell.
Notorious GIT
Bellend Extraordinaire

Liked: 39376

Postby deadb0y » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 am

Notorious GIT wrote:If not for the fact that I carry $500 on me and keep another $100 or more hidden in my car, I would have been proper fucked.

Yeah, I generally carry about £300 in cash in my pocket and another £300 laying around several stashes in the house/car/bike. Blokes give you a right funny look when you buy a mars bar and pull out a wad of cash... Chicks, chicks literally melt at the sight of 3 or 400 quid in 10's and 20's fucking shallow cunts they are.

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2866

Postby cyberdude » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am

The banksters are making an all-out effort to grab everyone's cash in order to promote a "cashless society". India's recent demonetisation stunt was just the beginning. Here's the real reason behind the demonetisation:
http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/t ... ld-demand/

More on the concerted efforts by the banksters to promote a cashless society:
http://viableopposition.blogspot.com/20 ... iance.html

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Citi Foundation, Mastercard, Visa, USAID, Omidyar Network and United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) are the groups that want to get rid of cash.
https://www.betterthancash.org/
http://cashlesscatalyst.org/

cyberdude
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8072

Postby TDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

I give myself an allowance per week where I take money out of the ATM and spend it on discretionary items.

I've been doing this for a long time.

Incidentally;

Tide detergent: Works on tough stains. Can now also be traded for crack. A case study in American ingenuity, legal and otherwise.

Money can take many different forms.

Solipsism is a feature and not a bug. - TDG

In the long run, men making themselves happy makes women happy. Men trying to please women makes women miserable. Source: all of human history. - fairi5fair

There is nothing women ruin with such predictability as their own lives. - Alpha Game

She's not yours, she's just your turn. - Dudeist Priest

1. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it's enemy action.
2. If someone shows you who they are, believe them.
- Demosthenes
TDG
One Disgruntled Bastard

Liked: 63093

Postby Merlin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm with everyone else on here. I carry around two to three hundred on me at all times. One thing I completely disagree with in the original article is keeping any money in your car.

I don't keep a damned thing in any auto I own that is worth anything. Heck, my truck is unlocked so any neighborhood thieves don't have to break the window to root through it. Happened once already. There was so little in the truck it took me all of 30 seconds to pop the few things back in the glove box. Hasn't been touched since.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 10895

Postby Morgu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Merlin wrote:I'm with everyone else on here. I carry around two to three hundred on me at all times. One thing I completely disagree with in the original article is keeping any money in your car.

I don't keep a damned thing in any auto I own that is worth anything. Heck, my truck is unlocked so any neighborhood thieves don't have to break the window to root through it. Happened once already. There was so little in the truck it took me all of 30 seconds to pop the few things back in the glove box. Hasn't been touched since.

You could do like some of us, and drive a car made in the last millennium...

In unrelated news, I hear Subaru's hold their value really well. ;)

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15523

Postby Merlin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Morgu wrote:
Merlin wrote:I'm with everyone else on here. I carry around two to three hundred on me at all times. One thing I completely disagree with in the original article is keeping any money in your car.

You could do like some of us, and drive a car made in the last millennium...

In unrelated news, I hear Subaru's hold their value really well. ;)

--Morgu

Have a Subaru, fairly new also. It stays in the garage and gets locked. The truck is for hauling so it doesn't matter that it is slightly over 10 years old. Just that it is mechanically sound. I still don't keep anything of value in either vehicle.

When speaking with most women I find my capacity to give a damn has been overshadowed by an over abundance of go fuck yourself.

I looked into the abyss. At first I was afraid but then I looked further and studied it. After a while I began to understand the abyss. Then the abyss looked back at me, I smiled and it ran.
Merlin
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 10895

Return to Money