Alarm Clock

Dedicated to all things technical and cool! Discuss games, consoles, TVs, iPads, phones, Laptops, CPUs, PCs, appliances etc etc etc, you name it!

Alarm Clock

Postby No4Dad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 am

This almost seems dumb to post but, if you're like me, you like an actual alarm clock on the table next to the bed and really don't want to use your phone for an alarm clock. The phone works OK but it seems a little clumsy to have to unlock it, set the clock, etc.

The problem with alarm clocks: They're all shitty (almost). They either make them too complicated trying to be "everything" or they make them too simple which makes them almost complicated to use. Often, they're shit-quality in the build department. Thin plastic. No weight to them. I've looked over the ones at Walmart and Target and thought, "None of these are any good."

A few weeks back I was staying in a hotel and noticed the clock on the nightstand. It was a nice little clock. I picked it up and it had a solid build quality feel to it. I played with it for a few minutes and realized, "This has a really simple interface - perfect for a clock." It also has 2 USB ports on the top and 2 regular (USA) outlets.

When I got home I looked it up online and did a bit more research and, holy shit, everyone loves this clock. There are two complaints about it:
1) The cord going into the back of it is too thick.
- It's built to be a good-quality hotel clock and it has two outlets on top. I think they're trying to be overly cautious in not burning down a hotel because someone was powering their 1800W electric heater off of the thing. Still, it's a thick cord and something to contend with. They actually include a little bracket to secure it to the backside of the nightstand - I'm not kidding.

2) It resets the alarm to 6AM after each use.
- Yes, by default that's what it does because it's built to be used in a hotel room. If you're staying in a hotel room this actually probably works to your advantage. The solution is to flip a switch under the backup battery cover which will stop this.

Things I like:
- nice, simple display
- nice, simple functionality
- handles daylight saving time (there's a switch to turn it on or off under the backup battery door)
- has a backup battery and seems to be pretty accurate w/ time. I haven't seen it float like your normal shitty alarm clock.
- has a gradual awake alarm (starts off at low volume and gradually gets louder)
- 2 power outlets on top
- 2 USB ports for charging on top.

There's probably other things I'm not thinking of off of the top of my head. It's not a $20 alarm clock, though. It's $58 and $80 if you want a Bluetooth speaker.

For the Bluetooth speaker they keep it simple: You pair your phone and the knob on top of the unit acts as a volume control. It's a fine speaker for the bedside but you'd get better sound (richer bass) out of something like Amazon's Echo.

The CubieTime:
http://a.co/9ze6fQe

The CubieBlue:
http://a.co/i2ke4Zt

These are both black but they also have white versions if that's what you prefer.

Seems dumb to post it but I know I've been searching for a decent alarm clock for ages (10+ years).

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 17367

Re: Alarm Clock

Postby The Signal » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Not dumb at all--I've been looking for a better alarm clock. Thanks, No4Dad.

Feminism means we only ever blame one sex for anything.
The Signal
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9045

Postby No4Dad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:17 pm

One other note on the Bluetooth speaker:

You pair it once but after that (keep in mind this is a clock meant for a hotel) you need to press the button on the front of the CubieBlue to turn on the Bluetooth and then reconnect via your bluetooth settings in your phone.

It's a minor inconvenience. I just do it each night before going to bed and don't think about it. Think of it as:
alarm clock: Turn bluetooth on
Phone: Connect to clock.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby WheelBarrow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:34 pm

In defense of my phone as an alarm clock.

I've been using my phone that runs Android Kit Kat as an alarm for several years. Shutting it off is a simple matter of activating a screen and swiping to the right. Done. The Android alarm app defaults to one time for Mon-Fri and another, or off on Sat/Sun. It's trivial to shut off for holidays and vacation days.

Setting it is easier than any of the myriad of clock I had over the years. The cell network keeps the time slaved to UTC and there is nearly always enough battery charge in the phone so that the alarm will go off when it is supposed to even during the odd power outage that lasts to wake-up time. I am woefully deficient at keeping fresh batteries in such things.

I keep the phone on charge overnight in my computer/radio room so that I have to actually get up to shut it off. That keeps me from swiping left and activating the snooze feature and then being late. I'm up so I don't go back to the bedroom and fall back into the sack.

I do keep a clock radio in the bedroom but only as a time display for me to glance at through the night or know if the power got bumped.

Each to his own. I found a solution that works very well for me.

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 8521

Postby No4Dad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I tried the Amazon Echo for a while. That works really well if you don't want a display. I suppose the new Amazon Look will give you that display.

You're right about the phone keeping time with UTC - that's really nice. It's why I mentioned that I haven't seen really any noticeable fluctuation in my current clock mentioned above in 2 months. I have some other clocks in my place, both atomic and NTP, and it seems to always match those so I'm happy there.

If I plug my phone in and load up the clock app I can set the alarm by sliding my finger around and going into a settings page for the alarms.

With the clock I mentioned above I really like how they do it. You push down on the knob to set the clock and spin the knob to get it to the appropriate time. Then it's just set. Then the knob has a few functions:
- (alarm sounding) press down to shut off alarm - alarm will remain set for the next day
- (alarm not sounding) press down to turn alarm on/off
- when turning it back on after it's been off, the alarm time will flash and you can rotate the knob to set it and when done you just leave it alone and after 6s or so it just sets it and the alarm is on.

The on/off button for the alarm is paramount to me. I just want to push a button and get on with things. I don't want to fiddle with it.

Not criticizing those who like to use their phones, it certainly makes sense - just pointing out why I like this particular clock.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby toadman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Seen those, usually at Sheraton properties. Nice. :-)
Half the time I'm looking over at when the alarm will go off all night. Or if it will at all.
I use a paired smartwatch on charger. Set it so the phone goes off across the room. Metallica works. 8-)

"The core essence of Feminism; Superiority masquerading as equality." -TDG
toadman
Administrator

Liked: 7503

Postby No4Dad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:33 pm

One of the big problems I have is that I'll wake up just before the alarm goes off.

With some clocks I have to "do work" for lack of a better way of putting it, to turn the alarm off. Sometimes it's opening an app, sometimes it's down in the settings on a clock. With Amazon's Echo you have to say something like, "Cancel next alarm," which I think may get it, and is still too much effort for me early in the morning, or, "Cancel Alarm," and then you get into a weird argument with Alexa, "I've found 3 alarms. Which would you like me to cancel?"

That's why just a regular button/switch to turn the alarm off is super important to me. I just want the alarm off. I don't want to have to think about how I turn the alarm off - if that makes any sense.

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Postby toadman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Something you can slap down in the dark and not a snooze button. ;-)

"The core essence of Feminism; Superiority masquerading as equality." -TDG
toadman
Administrator

Liked: 7503

Postby deadb0y » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 am

WheelBarrow wrote:In defense of my phone as an alarm clock.

I've been using my phone that runs Android Kit Kat as an alarm for several years. Shutting it off is a simple matter of activating a screen and swiping to the right. Done. The Android alarm app defaults to one time for Mon-Fri and another, or off on Sat/Sun. It's trivial to shut off for holidays and vacation days.

Setting it is easier than any of the myriad of clock I had over the years. The cell network keeps the time slaved to UTC and there is nearly always enough battery charge in the phone so that the alarm will go off when it is supposed to even during the odd power outage that lasts to wake-up time. I am woefully deficient at keeping fresh batteries in such things.

I keep the phone on charge overnight in my computer/radio room so that I have to actually get up to shut it off. That keeps me from swiping left and activating the snooze feature and then being late. I'm up so I don't go back to the bedroom and fall back into the sack.

I do keep a clock radio in the bedroom but only as a time display for me to glance at through the night or know if the power got bumped.

Each to his own. I found a solution that works very well for me.

I too have been using an android based alarm for a long time now... Maybe nearly 10 years, my first was a Samsung galaxy. One alarm for Monday to Friday set to 07:15 one for Saturday, one for Sunday set to what ever time I need.

It really couldn't be any simpler!

I do tend to go with out alarms at the weekend unless I have to get up for something - I just like to sleep until I wake up at the weekend!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2874

Postby No4Dad » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 am

deadb0y wrote:I do tend to go with out alarms at the weekend unless I have to get up for something - I just like to sleep until I wake up at the weekend!

I try to sleep in a bit on the weekends. I don't want to sleep until noon as then I feel like I've wasted 1/2 the day but I usually get woken up by my German Shepherd. She paws me as if to tap me on the shoulder to say, "It's daylight. You really should get up."

Fuck SJWs. Fuck CNN.
No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Return to Computers, Games, and Technology