Steam vs physical copies...

Dedicated to all things technical and cool! Discuss games, consoles, TVs, iPads, phones, Laptops, CPUs, PCs, appliances etc etc etc, you name it!

Steam vs physical copies...

Postby PSIII » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I tried to install an old PC game on my Windows 10 desktop, and it didn't work. I called tech support, browsed too many message boards, and finally said "fuck this".

I read that if I download the Steam and/or digital copy, I may avoid this mess in the future. Maybe.

I've given up on the particular game that wasted my time, but for the future, I'm thinking of moving on to strictly digital games, rather than the retail/physical versions.

Any suggestions? I never tried Steam, I always prefer having the disc in my grubby hands, but if I have to go through the horseshit of the last few days chatting with useless tech support, checking copyguard files, and all that nonsense, then I'll just stick to console gaming.

I've always had bad luck with PC games, be it video cards, drivers, crashes, games never launching, etc. I've also always had nice computers, too.

Thanks dudes...

Built for the Future

"For the sake of any and every moment of levity you can steal from this fucked world, give no fucks ever about anything."

Notorious GIT
PSIII
MGTOW Veteran / Forum Moderator

Liked: 4618

Re: Steam vs physical copies...

Postby Entreri » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 pm

I used to really hate Steam, back around the time Fallout New Vegas came out, because even though you had the disc, there was no easy way to simply use the disc to install the game as you FUCKING DAMN WELL OUT TO BE ABLE TO DO.

After using it a bit more over the past year, I've come to really like it. It makes finding and installing games pretty easy. I've only gotten one game that would never run, and I still sometimes look for solutions to that.

Give it a try and if you don't like it, stop using it. That's what I did for a few years.

10mm or GTFO.

Two to the chest, one to the head.

Only hits count.

"Battles leave scars... some you can't see."
-- Kanan Jarrus
Entreri
Phantom

Liked: 20074

Postby PSIII » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Entreri wrote: there was no easy way to simply use the disc to install the game as you FUCKING DAMN WELL OUT TO BE ABLE TO DO.

Looks like what happened to me.

The copyguard/whatever it's called/ on these games is just too much.

Fuckers.

Built for the Future

"For the sake of any and every moment of levity you can steal from this fucked world, give no fucks ever about anything."

Notorious GIT
PSIII

Postby Morgu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:57 pm

As someone with over 100 games on Steam; yes, Steam is great.

Steam allows you to purchase and immediately download games at a whim. No more traveling to and from the store.

Another added plus of Steam is the special sales Steam runs. Weekend sales, Developer sales, Midweek Madness sales, and their big Summer sale. All of these knock huge chunks off the normal asking price. The Steam Summer Sale I have seen knock up to 80% off of the normal price for even AAA games. Wait until the summer sale begins, and you can spend $50, and purchase multiple AAA and AA games.

By the by, the Steam Summer Sale is not far away. Usually that sale runs somewhere in June, July, or August. Very much worth catching.

Steam accounts are free to make.

PSIII wrote:I've always had bad luck with PC games, be it video cards, drivers, crashes, games never launching, etc. I've also always had nice computers, too.

That is more than likely due to the poor sate in which even AAA titles are released now. Batman: Arkham Asylum was unplayable at launch. Several other games have been the same way.

BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite had problems crashing, and they still do. Thankfully, there is almost always a guide on Steam, created by a fellow Steam user, which helps you solve most of the problems.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.

--Morgu
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 15483

Postby deadb0y » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Morgu wrote:As someone with over 100 games on Steam; yes, Steam is great.

Steam allows you to purchase and immediately download games at a whim. No more traveling to and from the store.

Another added plus of Steam is the special sales Steam runs. Weekend sales, Developer sales, Midweek Madness sales, and their big Summer sale. All of these knock huge chunks off the normal asking price. The Steam Summer Sale I have seen knock up to 80% off of the normal price for even AAA games. Wait until the summer sale begins, and you can spend $50, and purchase multiple AAA and AA games.

By the by, the Steam Summer Sale is not far away. Usually that sale runs somewhere in June, July, or August. Very much worth catching.

Steam accounts are free to make.

PSIII wrote:I've always had bad luck with PC games, be it video cards, drivers, crashes, games never launching, etc. I've also always had nice computers, too.

That is more than likely due to the poor sate in which even AAA titles are released now. Batman: Arkham Asylum was unplayable at launch. Several other games have been the same way.

BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite had problems crashing, and they still do. Thankfully, there is almost always a guide on Steam, created by a fellow Steam user, which helps you solve most of the problems.

--Morgu

I fully concur with this... I've been using steam for over 8 years, since half life and while I've had a couple of issue it's been pretty much smooth sailing. Also, you can let other people use your games when you're not using them so my son get's access to my 200 odd games when I'm at work!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 2852

Postby ManWithAPlan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm

The great thing about STEAM isn't that it works, it's that it works and you can get whatever games you want very cheap if you're patient. There's most likely going to be a STEAM summer sale in a month or two, and you can usually pick up a lot of games for around $1-2 each.

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 43289

Postby Red Coolade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm

I actually have a bone to pick with Steam.

Well, the bastards who released NieR Automata on it.

The game is freakin' awesome, except it wasn't properly optimized for PC's while it runs smoothly on PS4, the system it was released for. Well, damn. This forced me to purchase a PS4 slim, Automata and some kick-ass titles along with it.

I like Steam; I have Starbound, and SPAZ I and II. But damn! At least see to it the third-party PC games work!!

[Rant over, that is all]

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
I Corinthians 7:8
Red Coolade
Established Member

Liked: 1893

Postby Schattenmann » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 am

Used to hate steam, took the plunge a couple years back and love it now.

New machine? Just redownload and you are good to go. Old game? Usually integrated fairly well if you get it from steam, odds are good you can launch it.
GOG meant alot more fiddling required and I am a fucking caveman glad to know how to turn the computer on and find the internet with both hands and a map.
And ohh the sales - my poor credit card :D

Schattenmann
Established Member

Liked: 3270

Postby PSIII » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks for the replies!

How about downloading the digital copies from Amazon?

If Steam were ever to cease to exist, how would that effect what you bought from them? I know it's far-fetched, but crazier things have happened.

Built for the Future

Notorious GIT
PSIII

Postby Demosthenes » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 pm

I've had steam only a little while.

I got STEAM because I was looking to play an older game and I knew hassling with emulators and other factors was just going to be a pain.

I got Steam (which is at no cost) and paid the few dollars for Master of Orion 2.

I've considered getting Fallout 2 but haven't done so yet.

Women don't owe men anything. Not a smile. Not sex, Not even empathy or compassion. Men don't owe women anything either. Not interest. Not resources. And definitely not commitment or children.
-----
Somewhere in a lonely hotel room there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2AM.
------
So, I'll Do It - I guess there's nothin' to say, its all been said
I'll Do It - Make sure you want it this way, 'cause when it's done this time, I'll be gone
Demosthenes
Freezing Cold Sanity

Liked: 27510

Postby ManWithAPlan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:07 pm

PSIII wrote:Thanks for the replies!

How about downloading the digital copies from Amazon?

If Steam were ever to cease to exist, how would that effect what you bought from them? I know it's far-fetched, but crazier things have happened.

You'd be fucked. But if the internet ever ceased to exist, you'd be fucked as well. STEAM is huge and I doubt they'll be going out of business anytime soon. Additionally most of the games you purchase come with a cd-key. At that point you can pirate copies using your legit cd-key, or you can just download the game from other sources.

A lot of times when I find a great deal like the humble bundle, I'll buy whatever games for the cd-key, and just activate it on STEAM.

In fact if you have any games with cd-keys, I'd suggest you try activating them first before buying them.

Demosthenes wrote:I've had steam only a little while.

I got STEAM because I was looking to play an older game and I knew hassling with emulators and other factors was just going to be a pain.

I got Steam (which is at no cost) and paid the few dollars for Master of Orion 2.

I've considered getting Fallout 2 but haven't done so yet.

One of the best RPG's ever, and with the most amount of freedom in any game. How many games will let you do shit like this?

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 43289

Postby going this way » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 pm

A combination has worked for me, though I've never tried anything like STEAM, but I don't suppose I'll ever do anything like STEAM, that could change one day too.

I liked all the benefits of a physical/digital-backup copy for offline & all that. I like some mmo's though I've never even tried WoW yet. I used to really like Anarchy Online, mostly for the gameplay, for some of the camaraderie- nothing that took away from the game. It was difficult to find a good organization though, you have to put up with so much from others to attain good goals. I didn't jump around socially either, but there are nice folks or you can tell they are IRL, there's so many others though that are from fairly nice-to bored-so helping for a short time, & you don't want to deal with the rest types. Many like to use Ventrilo or Teamspeak for communication since it's easier to get things done while leveling/raiding as opposed to chatting via keyboard, though you'll end up often hearing someone's stories of last night, week, or-& life up to now, which I might not mind if I enjoyed the game-goals (I'll forget chats anyway), but I'm guessing many MMO games have that problem. I liked it so I paid-to-play $98 annually for all expansions, which I guess is cheap compared to other MMO sub's. Haven't it played in years now.

If you have/had a PS3 (maybe PS2 also?), PSN is free after signing up then you can buy different ported games & DLC. I have a good handful, & if you get another PS3 just redownload them all like re-patching games. Sonic Adventure & Crysis are some I like that come to mind. I haven't done much actual pc gaming since the 90's- when I got fed up with sound/video card problems & switched mainly to consoles. I occasionally wonder about Windows Live! but I've heard different not good things without verification though.

Et erunt homines se ipsos amantes, cupidi, elati, superbi, blasphemi, parentibus inoboedientes, ingrate, scelesti
going this way
GPS Relocating...

Liked: 1193

Postby Schattenmann » Sat May 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Thread necro apologies:
Anarchy online omg - that brings back memories. Used to play it for about 2 years, found a social cool guild but the guild leader passed away and one of the ltds went to work as funcom press dude oO.

Aaaanyway:
Anarchy online is now on steam as well, just in case you want to check it out.

As for fantasy western mmos, I ´d suggest having a look at The Elder Scrolls online (if you do not like crafting, it is buy to play, basically you only need a sub if you want to hoard resources for crafting).
J rpgs are not my style, if you do not mind them, Final Fantasy online is not bad either.
For something completely different - Funcom will be relaunching the Secret World, a contemporary times urban fantasy game which is really good. Also buy to play.

Schattenmann
Established Member

Liked: 3270

Return to Computers, Games, and Technology