Creating and programming a game. Tips? Do's and don'ts?

Dedicated to all things technical and cool! Discuss games, consoles, TVs, iPads, phones, Laptops, CPUs, PCs, appliances etc etc etc, you name it!

Creating and programming a game. Tips? Do's and don'ts?

Postby DMcG94 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 am

I'm a nooby programmer and only really know the basics of html and CSS.

In order for me to get more experience with programming to prepare me for learning other programming languages such as either Java or Python, I decided to try and create my own game.

So far, I've got 91 lines of code written. Keep in mind though, this game is going to be text-based since I'm creating it on a batch file with notepad++.

Does anyone have any sort of experience with this? Got any tips?

DMcG94
Established Member

Liked: 519

Re: Creating and programming a game. Tips? Do's and don'ts?

Postby Cherubino » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:53 am

Well, the high-end, be-end of textmode-based gaming is Dwarf Fortress, maybe you want to check it out.

The first "batch file" based game that made sense, if by batch file you mean a command line script, was called Kingdom or Hammurabi. Maybe you want to check it out.

Some commercial games are scriptable via Python. Maybe you want to join a MODding team as a scripter?

Check out "Dive into Python" by Mark Pilgrim.

Learn to use a decent editor. This would either be called VIM, EMACS or… Well, there is no third editor.

Ask not what you can do for your country - do ask what your country can do to you.
I make a distinction between the oppressor in W., DC and it's main enemy and target: the American people.

"Increasingly, one's humanity is directly proportional to both one's insistence on withdrawal from the herd, and one's intolerance towards ape-like conduct of all sorts." - bem

"What do women think? Who really cares what women think? You're not running a free psychiatric clinic." - dubya
Cherubino
Established Member

Liked: 3086

Postby DMcG94 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am

if by batch file you mean a command line script, was called Kingdom or Hammurabi. Maybe you want to check it out.

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. The command prompt.

DMcG94
Established Member

Postby xtc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Download a free version of python, find some internet manuals and tutorials, and get started.
I was working on a text based 'choose your own adventure' style game with my 8 year old nephew just the other week.

xtc
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6190

Postby bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Cherubino wrote:Learn to use a decent editor. This would either be called VIM, EMACS or… Well, there is no third editor.

Good lord, if he's not writing on/for Linux/Unix, that's just wrong. The notepad++ he's using is very capable.

And yes, python would probably be a good starting language and is almost certainly free, though on Windows, you'd have to double-check.

"THOSE AREN'T FEELINGS...THOSE ARE LIES YOUR DICK IS TELLING TO YOU!!!" - Chef
bob
Deplorable and Irredeemable

Liked: 12112

Postby DMcG94 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:52 am

bob wrote:
Cherubino wrote:Learn to use a decent editor. This would either be called VIM, EMACS or… Well, there is no third editor.

Good lord, if he's not writing on/for Linux/Unix, that's just wrong. The notepad++ he's using is very capable.

And yes, python would probably be a good starting language and is almost certainly free, though on Windows, you'd have to double-check.

Yeah I'm actually planning on using python instead of batch to be honest. I need to learn python anyway so I may as well kill 2 birds with one stone (ie learning python as well as creating the game on python)

DMcG94
Established Member

Postby xtc » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:06 am

Do it. It is NOT hard.

xtc
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6190

Postby ManWithAPlan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am

Yeah, plan your shit out on paper first, then write the code. Doesn't have to be something complicated, just like a flowchart of your story/game and where every option you pick leads.

Also there are easier ways to do things. There are plenty of programming sites where you only need to fill in bits and pieces, and they walk you through it. This used to be fun, but it's become a bit twattified lately. The gist of it is that you play an RPG, but you have to code your own character instead of controlling it directly. So you have to come up with code that makes them move, attack, follow a path, etc.

There's also online challenges if you want to do something quick but ranging from easy to hard. Here's a few.

https://www.coderbyte.com/

https://projecteuler.net/

The word "misogyny" is like a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble.
ManWithAPlan
Beta as Fuck

Liked: 41624

Return to Computers, Games, and Technology