Ford offers new F-150 pickup truck for police duty

Forum title says it all! Discuss all things cars and motorcycles here.

Ford offers new F-150 pickup truck for police duty

Postby The Shadow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:17 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/04/19/ford-offers-new-f-150-pickup-truck-ffor-police-duty/83219928/

So what so interesting about this "new" pickup truck? Not much except the lighting I suppose. A 5.0 (302 Cubic Inch motor) puts out quite a bit of horsepower, so yes these could be used to chase many vehicles of lesser HP.

But that's not what I am getting at. Many of you Ford lovers (and I used to own a 5.0 liter fuel injected Mustang myself)
is the fact is that Ford has been selling cars to the police for ages. That's one reason why they didn't need a bail-out in 2008.

Yeah, GM really blew it when they stopped production of the rear-wheel drive Caprice, which many cops loved so much, they kept them much longer then the Ford Crown Victoria's, which is standard in most police departments since Chevy decided to quit making the Caprice.

In my part of the woods many police departments are going to Ford and Chevy SUV's, so I dont really think this pickup is gonna be all that popular. Most cops are used to cruisers and no pickup made can have a ride like a cruiser does. Whatta
waste of money.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6367

Re: Ford offers new F-150 pickup truck for police duty

Postby WheelBarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:44 pm

In this local berg the town cops all have pickups. The town gets around being called on it by having the town cops being deputized so they can go anywhere in the county. Meanwhile, the county sheriff's dept is going back to cars. :roll:

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7124

Postby Phathack » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Cops around here drive SUV, Dodge Charger or a Pickup.

:ugeek:

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8302

Postby toadman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:55 pm

With LED light-bars internal in front, back and all over like a parade float.
Ford does not install tinted gradient windshields for this very purpose on their police fleet vehicles.

"We can't change prevailing winds, but we can adjust the sails."
toadman
Administrator

Liked: 6677

Postby The Shadow » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:10 am

toadman wrote:With LED light-bars internal in front, back and all over like a parade float.
Ford does not install tinted gradient windshields for this very purpose on their police fleet vehicles.

I have seen undercover Crown Vics, used by police Sergent's and higher, with a bronze tint on the windshield. In broad day light you cannot see anyone in the car at all through the windshield. They are unmarked, but the antennas and GPS on the roof give them away. That and its a Crown Victoria with no wheel covers and high speed tires. Not really very undercover,
more like they dont want anyone to know how many police are in the car.

The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Postby The Shadow » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:13 am

WheelBarrow wrote:In this local berg the town cops all have pickups. The town gets around being called on it by having the town cops being deputized so they can go anywhere in the county. Meanwhile, the county sheriff's dept is going back to cars. :roll:

Makes no sense since a Sheriff might need a four-wheel drive vehicle, whereas a city cop just needs a car. Go figure!

The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Postby The Shadow » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:20 am

Phathack wrote:Cops around here drive SUV, Dodge Charger or a Pickup.

Yeah, the Dodge Charger is used by the cops out here in the more affluent cities, since they are so expensive. I dont know why GM doesn't make a rear wheel drive large sedan, except for the Chevrolet SS, which will smoke a Charger. Too expensive I guess.

The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Postby Phathack » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:11 pm

The Shadow wrote:Yeah, the Dodge Charger is used by the cops out here in the more affluent cities, since they are so expensive. I dont know why GM doesn't make a rear wheel drive large sedan, except for the Chevrolet SS, which will smoke a Charger. Too expensive I guess.

I just noticed that my local PD has a couple of Chevrolet sedans in police service, Traffic enforcement. They are grey and have hidden lights with two tone police logs on the side of the vehicles. The Antennas all over the top give them away as well. I saw it one Saturday all light up with a traffic stop.

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8302

Postby Morgu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Our hard earned tax dollars at work gentlemen.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12703

Return to Motorcycles and Cars