Good Pair of Boots

Discuss outdoor hobbies here

Good Pair of Boots

Postby Morgu » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Gentlemen,
Morgu is looking for a pair of good boots. I have managed to narrow down the choices to a few brands, but considering the costs involved, Morgu is hesitant to spend that kind of money without some kind of second opinion.

what I have for requirements:
waterproof
steel or composite toe
8 inches tall from bottom of heel to top of boot
durable
good soles, for comfortable wearing over long periods of time
capable of running

What would you recommend?

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12695

Re: Good Pair of Boots

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:26 pm

In the next month or so I'm going to be buying a new pair of these $360 boots:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-124-meindl-men-s-alaska-hunter-8482-boots/721274.uts

It'll be my third pair. My current pair is literally falling apart. They're more than five years old (My order history with Cabela's doesn't go back past 2010.) and I wear them during the day 365 days a year.

They don't have a reinforced toe however.

mountainman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 940

Postby EddieS » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:51 pm

I've used timberlands for many years now. I find them very comfortable. Coming in extra wide, for my ape like feet. They last me 12 months or so. Sometimes a bit longer. I've tried many brands. None last very well. I've not had another brand of steel toe boot last longer than 8 months. So timberlands are also cost effective in my case, as they aren't terribly expensive. I get myself a pair every xmas.

Being leather, you will have to keep them waterproof yourself. You could run in them. But they aren't the lightest boots around. Drawback of leather I guess.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14315

Postby The Shadow » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Morgu wrote:Gentlemen,
Morgu is looking for a pair of good boots. I have managed to narrow down the choices to a few brands, but considering the costs involved, Morgu is hesitant to spend that kind of money without some kind of second opinion.

waterproof
steel or composite toe
durable
capable of running

--Morgu

Rocky or Wolverine boots are the best for outdoor use, IMO. Kevlar or Gor-Tex and Thinsinuate lined .There are other brands that are as good, but these are the ones I am familiar with. They are lightweight, so you can indeed run with them on.

IMO, most steel-toed boots tend to wear badly, and I doubt you will find them as comfortable to wear as a non-steel toed boot. Speaking from experience, of course. My feet sweat too easily, and only in very cold conditions could I stand boots
that dont allow for sweating.

These boots might fit your needs if you can handle the heat in summer: http://www.bootbarn.com/Wolverine,-W04795,-Brown,-7.5,-M/18462471887,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google-_-Wolverine-_-18462471887

These are steel-toed and Gore-Tex boots you might like as well as being 8" tall: http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/men-s-footwear/men-s-work-boots-shoes/men-s-safety-toe-boots|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104183280/i/104109480/cabela-s-lace-to-toe-gore-tex-174-steel-toe-work-boots/748570.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-safety-toe-boots%2F_%2FN-1101192%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104109480

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows."
The Shadow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 6367

Postby Cherubino » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:55 am

Go to a craftsman. Tailored for you. Leather. Personal boots, lifetime friends.

Somethig like this:
http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/
(Not entirely sure how your culture handles that stuff.)

http://www.vass-cipo.hu/Index.html

I also wear Clarks:
http://www.clarks.eu/c/mens-smart

Ask not what you can do for your country - do ask what your country can do to you.
I make a distinction between the oppressor in W., DC and it's main enemy and target: the American people.

"Increasingly, one's humanity is directly proportional to both one's insistence on withdrawal from the herd, and one's intolerance towards ape-like conduct of all sorts." - bem

"What do women think? Who really cares what women think? You're not running a free psychiatric clinic." - dubya
Cherubino
Established Member

Liked: 2839

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:04 am

What an awesome thread.

I have been shopping for boots for months now, unfortunately the people that are making them have feet smaller than my sister's.

I am a military veteran, and for some reason only combat boots fit right. For hiking boots, see statement above.

I have purchased the most expensive hiking boots I could find, but nothing fits right. And I return them.

Boot those Combat Boots do. WTF...

Hiking boots are being made by sissies.

mr_anonymous

Liked: 289

Postby DrunkenMaster » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:42 am

Combat boots ftw , make sure and have a brush and some black polish and apply every day or so to keep em water resistant and moisturized . I wore the mark 2 Canadian armed Forces , it has a reinforced leather cap on the toe , something to do with -40 and below causing a steel toe cap to freeze your toses off .

The constant is that there is no constant , the universe is dynamic and ever changing , so hence change is the constant.
DrunkenMaster
8 ways drunken master

Liked: 6531

Postby mongolking » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:52 am

Morgu wrote:Gentlemen,

waterproof
steel or composite toe
durable
capable of running

--Morgu

I bought a pair of Asolo boots 25 years ago (yep that's 25) and I'm still using them.

I bought them for hiking, which amounts to about a week a year over that period. The great thing about them is that they are very light, very comfortable and very durable. My only criticism of them has been that they don't grip well on slimy rocks. That problem has probably been fixed years ago.

They don't have steel caps, nor would I want to run in them. They're a hiker's boot, not a working boot - though maybe some of their more recent offerings might meet your requirements.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 23995

Return to Fishing, Hunting, and the Great Outdoors