Bathroom lights just went out?

Tells us all about your home, apartment, condo, etc. improvements. Your tips on DIY are most welcome here.

Bathroom lights just went out?

Postby Designated Oppressor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:54 pm

They were working completely fine the night before, but now I flip the switch and no light at all. Doesn't seem likely that all the bulbs burnt out at the same time. Yay showering in the dark, that was fun.

Should I call an electrician or is there anything I can do?

Designated Oppressor
Established Member

Liked: 1195

Re: Bathroom lights just went out?

Postby mongolking » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Have you checked your fuse box?

EDIT: If you're sure your bulbs haven't blown, next thing to check is the fuse box. It's usually a small cabinet on a wall somewhere, not much bigger than a foot square. It consists of a whole lot of fuses laid out in a row. If you're living in a reasonably modern place (ie the wiring is less than 40 years old) the fuses will have switches on them. The switch gets thrown automatically if there's too much current going through the circuit. This prevents your wiring from overheating and melting.

A common problem with lighting is that one bulb blows and creates a short-circuit. Another is that an insect gets in the switch, climbs between two points, gets fried, and it's charred body creates a short circuit.

Where I come from, a switch pointing upward means power is running through it - ie, that's what you want. Once you've located your fuse-box, and can see all the switches, look for any pointing in the opposite direction to all the rest. If you can see one like this, flip it the other way and see what happens.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 24088

Postby fester » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Check the switch also.

fester is one of "the beautiful ones"

"It's FAR too late to unfuck this chicken."
Womanhater
fester
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 24720

Postby Eddie Willers » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Make sure the neutral/return line is also tightly connected at the fixture and at any marrettes/connections.

A gun-toting, weed-smoking, gray-bearded redneck with a Masters - old and dangerous.
Eddie Willers
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 4137

Postby Morgu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Check other light fixtures that are on the same switch. It might be just these lights.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12745

Postby Designated Oppressor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I found the fuse box and everything's nice and labelled - one is "Bedroom 2 and Bath Lights." Bedroom 2 lights work fine but the bath lights don't. I'll have to look at it some more tomorrow with the daylight.

Designated Oppressor
Established Member

Liked: 1195

Postby hansmoleman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Designated Oppressor wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I found the fuse box and everything's nice and labelled - one is "Bedroom 2 and Bath Lights." Bedroom 2 lights work fine but the bath lights don't. I'll have to look at it some more tomorrow with the daylight.

You need to head over to crappytire and buy a cheap digital multimeter tomorrow.

hansmoleman
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7737

Postby EddieS » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Designated Oppressor wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I found the fuse box and everything's nice and labelled - one is "Bedroom 2 and Bath Lights." Bedroom 2 lights work fine but the bath lights don't. I'll have to look at it some more tomorrow with the daylight.

What kind of lights are they? Its possible a ceiling transformer has died, which has several low voltage lights running from it for the bathroom.

Its just a process of elimination to find the problem. Switch or transformer is my suspect if its not a fuse, and other lights on that circuit are working fine.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14386

Postby DruidV » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm also guessing it's the switch.

Get a multi meter, as suggested.

Switches are an easy fix.

Is it safe?
DruidV
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 16299

Postby Pointerman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:29 pm

If it is in a bathroom and up to code, you need to check for a GFI being tripped. The breaker will stay on but the GFI will be tripped. Check any of the outlets and see if they have two little rectangles in between the outlets. Then push in one or the other and that resets the GFI.

"i'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person" -Bill Murray
Pointerman
Resident Redneck

Liked: 30151

Return to Home Improvement