Cheap IP Camera Viewer

Tells us all about your home, apartment, condo, etc. improvements. Your tips on DIY are most welcome here.

Cheap IP Camera Viewer

Postby FapMaster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 am

Since we don't really have a hobby section, I'm posting this in the DIY section.
I decided to try to use a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, running Raspbian, to create a display for monitoring IP surveillance camera feeds. The script could be modified for significantly more feeds in virtually any layout.
This is my first project with a Pi and I make no claim to be an expert in Linux, scripting, or Raspberry Pi in general. I borrowed ideas from several sites to complete this gizmo.

I started by using a hikvision DS-2CD2632FI 3mp ip camera:

The only way to view it was either log in on internet explorer, or use an nvr and log in to the nvr with a computer.
Either way using a computer to view one camera is a bit wasteful.
So I bought one of these nifty gadgets:
As you can see, it has usb ports which can be used for mice, keyboards, and wireless wifi modules.As well you could use the usb's for external storage. It also has an HDMI port for video out, the main reason I bought it. Well, that and it was cheap as shit. 38 bucks at Amazon. Pretty bad ass for the price, basically a tiny computer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T2U7R7I/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009SQQF9C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1N9HMTNAG25KF1F92KHG
It uses the SD card for the OS, Raspbian, a form of Linux (Debian). All hail Ian Murdock. They have a window OS, too.

I reallocated resources for the video and loaded a current version of OS. I finally got the settings right and the scripts to run properly and voila! It works!
Disclaimer: picture above is not me nor my office, too incriminating. My office is a lot messier, lots of projects in various stages of disrepair. Pic is close though.

I have it set up to boot right into camera view. I have been burning this thing in for 48 hours, nary a bobble. Response time is good, chip heat is nominal. I built this for me, but I might start setting these up for customers at their doors for a quick look outside before they exit the office, house whatever. The unit will run concurrently with a separate NVR with no conflict (I'm doing it right now). It could be configured for wireless operation and portability as well, I'm thinking.

I'll post my instructions to replicate the procedure if there's any interest. Let the code monkeys throw rotten fruit at my scripts :)

No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree. -W. C. Fields
FapMaster
Established Member

Liked: 3037

Re: Cheap IP Camera Viewer

Postby Morgu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Eventually, Morgu would like a set up where every door and window is covered inside and out with an IP camera. With feeds being recorded live and stored somewhere off site. That way the footage cannot be stolen.

Useful for when a twat makes a false accusation against you.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12704

Re: Cheap IP Camera Viewer

Postby toolate » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Off site storage very important. Try to avoid the wireless kind as everyone can see your business. Cat 5 is easy to run.

"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl" -HLM
toolate
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 10164

Return to Home Improvement