Robotic Vacuum That Cleans While You Sleep.

Tells us all about your home, apartment, condo, etc. improvements. Your tips on DIY are most welcome here.

Robotic Vacuum That Cleans While You Sleep.

Postby ZionDweller » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:38 pm

I just saw one of these on Amazon and wonder if anyone here has one. I think they look pretty cool.

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9175

Re: Robotic Vacuum That Cleans While You Sleep.

Postby EddieS » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:40 pm

I have a roomba and a scooba. They are fuckin awesome. I highly recommend them. My floors basically clean themselves.

You need to be fairly uncluttered for them to work their best.

I've never tried the neato botvac however.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14371

Postby WheelBarrow » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Some years ago I contemplated a Roomba but never pulled the trigger. Might be something to look into again.

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7173

Postby EddieS » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm not sure about cleaning while you sleep. Maybe in another room behind door/s. They make noise. Not as much as a normal vac. But they aren't whisper quiet. You could watch tv while its working. But you would have to turn the volume up a bit.

I'd heard varying experiences. From awesome, to shit. Upon investigating. Most who didn't like it often had multiple kids, and the resulting clutter and excessive furnishings etc... Nor did they run it often enough. Its not up to doing weekly cleaning of everything in an hr or two. Gotta run it once every day or three. One day I just thought, fuck it. Ima getting one and if I don't like it, I can just take it back. It never went back.

I'm due to replace the battery and the brushes. These parts are everywhere on eBay for cheap.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby Morgu » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:25 pm

EddieS wrote:I have a roomba

Roombas are a topic Morgu has spoken of to many people before.

Roombas are little robotic assassin's. Morgu is not crazy, he can prove it.

Roombas are advertised as being:
1. so swift they can clean a room in under an hour (varies on floor size and type)
2. quieter than a normal vacuum.
3. anti-microbial, so they are already killing things.

Assassin's must by their nature be:
1. swift (to make the kill, and then escape afterwards)
2. quiet (to avoid unneeded attention)
3. killers.

Now, two things which are equal to the same thing are equal to each other. Morgu just showed how Roombas and assassin's both have the same attributes. Therefore: Roombas are assassin's in disguise. When the machines take over,, the Roombas owners of the world are going to wake up to see their Roomba on their chest, slowly drifting closer....

Logic. :D

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12724

Postby ZionDweller » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:17 am

Looks like the Neato has reliability issues with their old and new models so I won't be going there. The Roomba seems to be reliable and they have an 880 that looks really great, the 780 also looks very good too. I like that the 880 has 5x more suction and can hold 60% more in its filter / case. Do these work well on carpet floor?

I think the 880 looks like it does a damn good job!

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Postby EddieS » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:36 am

That's really dirty carpet in that vid. Mine is the 630. So no programmable options. Just press to go, and he comes home when he is ready. Also not the same suction as the higher models. It works great on all but the long shaggy, boggy carpet. Because it has brushes that counter rotate, it moves the pile around, sucking in between the brushes. Even though it doesn't seem to suck as hard as a real vac. It seems to still pick up an alarming amount of stuff from carpet you didn't think was there.

So the higher model with even more suck would I imagine be even better on carpet. The bigger hopper would probably not be essential in the long run unless you have a lot of dirt or hair coming through. Doing particularly large areas, lots of carpet, or run it less often. I would rather have than not though.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Postby ZionDweller » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Here is a really good quick comparison of some of the popular models!

Take a look at this origin video, seems the roomba has military links.

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Postby No4Dad » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:00 pm

I've had a Neato for about 4 years.

My XV-11 died back in October and I tried the latest Roomba and ended up taking it back and got another Neato (D80) on clearance which has worked quite well.

I ran the XV-11 at least once a day and usually twice, so consider that when you think, "It only lasted 4 years!" The newer units have improved upon the the older units. I haven't vacuumed by hand since I got it. I just run it and let it grab all of the dog hair and other crap that comes in from the outside. Also helps with allergies in that I'm vacuuming everyday whereas before the best I could muster was once a week and often I'd let it go longer.

Some say that you still need to do a thorough vacuuming with a normal vac. It's probably true but I don't do it.

Anyway, I highly recommend one. There are some pros/cons to Roombas and Neatos which I can go into if you like.

No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 12873

Postby ZionDweller » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:47 pm

No4Dad wrote:I've had a Neato for about 4 years.

My XV-11 died back in October and I tried the latest Roomba and ended up taking it back and got another Neato (D80) on clearance which has worked quite well.

I ran the XV-11 at least once a day and usually twice, so consider that when you think, "It only lasted 4 years!" The newer units have improved upon the the older units. I haven't vacuumed by hand since I got it. I just run it and let it grab all of the dog hair and other crap that comes in from the outside. Also helps with allergies in that I'm vacuuming everyday whereas before the best I could muster was once a week and often I'd let it go longer.

Some say that you still need to do a thorough vacuuming with a normal vac. It's probably true but I don't do it.

Anyway, I highly recommend one. There are some pros/cons to Roombas and Neatos which I can go into if you like.

I planned to buy a Neato until reading about lots of reliability issues, for example this http://www.robotshop.com/forum/neato-xv ... -on-t11619 and in some reviews they warned about some known problems the manufacturer don't want to know about. I thought the D85 would be a good one to get but then I read about reliability issues with those too. Some seem to be lucky though.

I got a Roomba 8080 in the end and am very happy with it. It vacuums the house so well that the carpets look like they are new. I was not expecting such results. I didn't think the 980 was worth the price difference.

I find the Roombas filter was full at first but after a while it was fine and since it's easier to vacuum more often, you will have less dust, less allergies and nice carpet. This is without a doubt, one of the best, most helpful purchases around the home and it is fascinating to watch too. I still use another vacuum to do awkward areas and stairs but now there is so much less to do, I can get on with more important tasks! For example, having a few beers :D

Everyone should get one of these. I wouldn't go lower than the Roomba 770 because they use bristles.

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Postby ZionDweller » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:24 pm

I just discovered they sell lithium extended batteries (third party) for all Roombas. It has built in circuitry to deal with the charging differences.

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Postby MPAV8R » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:48 pm

I've already told you: the only way to a woman's heart is along the path of torment.

Alphas do, betas explain. -Womanhater
MPAV8R
Marquis De Schadenfreude

Liked: 10268

Return to Home Improvement