Dental hygiene prescription - how much of it is a scam

Talk about stuff like fitness tips, diet advice, anecdotal information and all things concerning health, balding, nose hair and losing weight etc.

Dental hygiene prescription - how much of it is a scam

Postby a_real_man » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Morning gents,

Inevitably after one's initial dose of the red pill must follow the question of what else have I been lied about; what else is a scam.

My question today is how much of the prescribed dental hygiene is a scam. Do you REALLY need to brush after every meal, floss each day, use mouthwash and go for cleaning biannually? Certainly someone profits off your doing so.

Here's some info I found surprising:
An interesting paper published in the Journal of Periodontology in 2009 described a study of 10 individuals.1 These people had to eat a Paleo-type diet, which strictly avoided refined sugars and all processed foods. For 30 days, they could not brush or floss their teeth. At the beginning of the study, their teeth were examined for any signs of gum disease, and the bacteria around their teeth were identified. At the end of the 30 day period, the bacteria around their teeth as well as any gum bleeding or gum pockets were reexamined. The results at the end of this study showed that bleeding from their gum tissues decreased, the depth of their gum pockets decreased, and unhealthy types of bacteria around their teeth decreased. They did have quite a bit of bacteria around their teeth, but they were not the unhealthy types that caused gum disease or tooth decay. As a reminder, they did not brush or floss for the entire 30 day study.
http://thepaleodiet.com/do-i-have-to-br ... aleo-diet/

There are a bunch more links that call the issue into question
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... price.aspx
https://www.google.com/amp/www.mnn.com/ ... oid-huawei
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy ... 4ec1aa77d5

It's unclear to me what is scientifically backed and what is rationalization. Does anyone here have any experience? The problem in trying something out on myself is that it could damage my health permanently.

*Editted to add info

Last edited by a_real_man on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the leader of MGTOW

Betas do it better
a_real_man
Established Member

Liked: 936

Re: Dental hygiene prescription - how much of it is a scam

Postby Morgu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:11 pm

a_real_man wrote:Inevitably after one's initial dose of the red pill must follow the question of what else have I been lied to; what else is a scam.

Everything is possible, nothing is true.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12734

Postby WheelBarrow » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:10 pm

I brush once a day before bed and floss a couple of times a week, some weeks. My incidence of cavities dropped way off just by that modest regimen a couple of decades ago. I'm a slow learner. :lol:

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7200

Postby a_real_man » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm

WheelBarrow wrote:I brush once a day before bed and floss a couple of times a week, some weeks. My incidence of cavities dropped way off just by that modest regimen a couple of decades ago. I'm a slow learner. :lol:

Were you brushing/flossing more or less before that?

I am the leader of MGTOW

Betas do it better
a_real_man
Established Member

Liked: 936

Postby WheelBarrow » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Much less, as in basically not at all. It cost me the removal of four teeth in the early '90s, two of which have been replaced by implants. I have a few root canals and several crowns due to the later fracturing of the teeth that were filled years ago. Fortunately, I have most all of my teeth in my early 50s with no partials and I do go get a checkup and cleaning every six months. The dental insurance covers most of it so why not?

I've learned to be properly disgusted by the plaque that builds up on my teeth after 24 hours or so, thus brushing at least once a day is a must for me.

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7200

Postby EddieS » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Healthy gut = healthy saliva = healthy teeth.

Water quality is crucial also.

I brush with herbal toothpaste these days. Have always flossed. It could be coincidence with dietary changes made around the same time. But my dental health has improved significantly.

the dark isn't dark
EddieS
Grungle

Liked: 14378

Postby Orangutan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:20 am

Part of it is genetic. There's some people who brush and floss religiously, but still have so many problems with their teeth. Others don't do anything and suffer few consequences.

A lot of dental hygiene is really just for beauty purposes. It is more pleasing to have pearly white teeth and neutral smelling breath, even though this isn't necessarily a reflection of health or even natural. The same goes for body odor: we detest it, but it is quite natural and not necessarily a sign of ill health or lack of washing.

Orangutan
Banana Republican

Liked: 4570

Postby Morgu » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 pm

The water you drink while young makes a difference in your teeth. People on well water have a higher number of minerals in their water (and fewer chemicals) compared to town/city water.

Regarding everyday dental hygiene, the dentist's recommendations have not changed much in years: brush three times per day (preferably immediately after each meal) and floss two or three times per day.

Whether or not you choose to use toothpaste with fluoride or without is another topic.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12734

Postby xtc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:25 am

Morgu wrote:The water you drink while young makes a difference in your teeth. People on well water have a higher number of minerals in their water (and fewer chemicals) compared to town/city water.

Regarding everyday dental hygiene, the dentist's recommendations have not changed much in years: brush three times per day (preferably immediately after each meal) and floss two or three times per day.

Whether or not you choose to use toothpaste with fluoride or without is another topic.

--Morgu

Not immediately after eating. Your food feeds bacteria on your teeth which release acid which softens the teeth.
Give it half an hour for your saliva to neutralise the acid and re-mineralize your teeth.
Once a day is probably plenty. You can overbrush. Too much brushing can be harsh on gums.

xtc
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 5882

Postby mongolking » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:32 am

I went to a dentist regularly every year for 20 years (ages 20 to 40). Every time I went, all I got was an x-ray, a polish and a bill. I stopped going. 16 years later, I started feeling pain in several teeth, all at once. Figured it was time for a dental check-up.

The dentist told me I had jaw-bone disease, and needed laser treatment. I also needed several fillings repaired. $4,000. Oh, and if I wasn't careful, I'd lose all my teeth soon. That was 3 years ago.

I thought it over for a few weeks. I finally justified it on the basis that I had gone 16 years with zero dental expense. $4000/16 = $250/year. Strangely close to what I paid per year when I had yearly maintenance.

I've been going back regularly ever since. The cost has risen up to closer to $500/year. I'll be 60 in a couple of years. I have all my teeth still, and the dentist tells me I'll have them for life. This after not using a dentist for 16 years (something all of them would insist is fatal).

I'm very mixed. I think they offer a very professional and beneficial service, but they will rob you blind and overcharge you if you let them.

Maybe I discovered the secret to getting best value accidentally. Don't use them on a regular basis. Get your teeth sparkling, then avoid all dentists if you can for say 5 years. Look after your teeth as best you can, on your own.

And if you have some serious dental work that will cost you a fortune, time it to coincide with a vacation to Malta. Dental work there is just as good, but about one tenth the cost.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.
-Arthur Schopenhauer
mongolking
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 24082

Postby WeeZul » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:25 pm

My entire family is cursed with bad teeth. A couple of agonizing root canals taught me to take good care of mine. Flossing daily, brushing twice daily. I did get an electric toothbrush - less effort & time, better clean.

Dentists though...dentists really irk me. I know doctors are trained to stay professional in the midst of crises. Dentists don't get this training (or if they do, they ignore it).

I've had dentists scream at me for refusing $3,000 procedures that I flat out didn't need. I've sent dental assistants out of the room when they burned my gums & tongue during a cleaning. I've even had a dentist pull an 'oops' - she "accidentally" drilled into a healthy tooth, thereby requiring a root canal. Which I then had to pay for because the pain racked through the right side of my skull.

I do have dental insurance through work. But I haven't been to one for a cleaning in months. We have dozens of dentists in my area. I don't trust a single one.

WeeZul
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 800

Postby ZionDweller » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:13 am

Almost all of the people I know that tell everyone how important it is to visit the Dentist throughout life, no longer have their own teeth. Similarly, all of the people I know that regularly visit the Doctor have more health problems.

I believe Iodine to be one of the keys to good dental health as well as fermented Cod liver oil with high vitamin butter oil.

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=910275

"One promising approach is the use of topical iodine formulations, which are approved for pediatric use and have prolonged suppressive effects on oral reservoirs of mutans streptococci. They may also suppress lactobacilli. A recent study (unpublished) in which ECC children were treated with 10 percent povidone iodine while undergoing their restorative procedures showed that mutans streptococci and lactobacilli were markedly reduced for up to three months. Details of that study will be published elsewhere."

"Perhaps the relationship between iodine and fluoride explains why laboratory studies show fluoride increases decay. By ingesting fluoride you can inhibit iodine and therefore the thyroid. Several large blinded human studies and on animals show that fluoride had no beneficial effect in reducing decay and in some studies increased the damage. Remember that fluoride like mercury is a cumulative poison and the less you are exposed to such a poison the better off you will be."

Iodine as an Oral Bactericidal Agent

"Iodine is among the most potent of bactericidal agents. Its effect is not time-dependent; once bacterial contact is made, its action is immediately lethal. Iodine has excellent penetrability into dental plaques.37,38 These characteristics make it an excellent agent for oral use. Earlier studies by Gibbons and coworkers showed that a single two-minute application of a 2 percent iodine/potassium iodine ( I2-KI ) solution eliminated mutans streptococci from accessible human tooth sites for up to 13 weeks.39 In 1977, Caufield and Gibbons showed that a dental prophylaxis followed by three applications of a 2 percent I2-KI solution significantly reduced mutans streptococci levels in fissure and proximal-surface plaques and saliva. Reductions persisted for 20 to 24 weeks in proximal plaque and saliva; fissure plaques were significantly suppressed for four weeks but gradually returned to baseline levels in the absence of dietary restrictions."

"Recently, the influence of bimonthly topical application of 10 percent povidone iodine was assessed in a placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial in preventing the development of white spot lesions on the maxillary primary incisors of Puerto Rican babies at high risk for developing early childhood caries.41 The study population consisted of 83 subjects (age 12 to 19 months, 40 female and 43 male). The healthy caries-free children were included in the study if they had four maxillary primary incisors with no visible defects, used a nursing bottle at naptime and/or bedtime that contained a cariogenic substrate, and had two consecutive mutans streptococci positive cultures from pooled maxillary primary incisor plaque. The subjects were randomized into two groups that were evaluated every two months during the study period. At each evaluation, the subjects had 10 percent povidone iodine (experimental group) or placebo (control group) applied to their dentition. The results of this study showed that the children who received topical treatment with 10 percent povidone iodine were significantly more likely to remain caries-free."

"Collectively, the preceding information strongly suggests that topical iodine agents are efficacious for preventing dental caries in babies and young preschool children at high risk for this disease. Dr. Reed Snow, director of the Delta Dental special programs in California, has many times stated over the past several years that it is time for a paradigm shift in our understanding of caries etiology, prevention, and treatment. The use of safe and effective means to inhibit bacterial transmission subsequent infection should be at the cornerstone of this paradigm shift."

.....................................................................................

Also read this about the danger of Root Canals

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... edure.aspx

...Doesn't it seem unhealthy, and even strange, to leave a dead tooth in your mouth? If any another organ in your body, like your appendix, were dead, it would have to be removed or else very aggressive strains of microbes that nature uses to decompose dead tissue would set in and threaten your life! And something similar happens with a dead tooth, whether it is killed from infection, trauma or the root-canal procedure.

After a root canal is done, the dead tooth, not sometimes, but always becomes an environment conducive to harboring chronic infection and toxicity. Because there is no reliable way, practically speaking, to completely sterilize a root canal treated tooth, (while it is still in a patient's mouth), it will be a source of infection for the whole body until it is extracted and the tooth socket is cleaned.

ZionDweller
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 9184

Return to Health and Fitness