Cooking

Tell us your favorite recipes. Talk food and drink here!

Cooking

Postby No4Dad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:01 pm

After seeing @Hank Scorpios post on laundry I thought I'd add a little about cooking.

I'm no expert and I kind of go for minimal effort. If you like to throw ingredients around in the kitchen and make pies, etc. then this isn't for you.

This is for the "I live on my own and only cook for me" kind of guy who doesn't want to spend an hour prepping or cleaning the kitchen after.

A few things I own which are everyday items:
1) A nice toaster oven. I have the Breville Smart Oven (http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-smart-oven-pro.html). Spend the extra cash on a nicer oven with some convection and other cooking features over $40 Black & Decker at Walmart. The reason is that this is your main cooking area. It's not going to use as much power as a regular oven and it won't generate as much heat which you'll have to pump out of your place like a regular oven.
2) Get a nice meat thermometer. I use Themowork's Chef Alarm (http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm). The important thing is that it be reliable and have a replaceable probe. They include a cooking temp guide which you can hang on your fridge for references to what is considered done for meat.
3) Get an Instant Pot (https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1470590410&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot). This is great as both a pressure cooker and slow cooker. The thing here is that it's a "one pot solution" for a lot of recipes. Maybe you're making meat sauce for spaghetti and need a second pot to boil some noodles in but that's easy enough to clean up. What we're really shooting for in "toss it in the pot and let it do it's thing.."

This takes care of just about everything I cook minus any grilling.

No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 12673

Re: Cooking

Postby ATLien » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:09 pm

Yes! I got the instant pot 6qt for $70 bucks back in july on amazon prime day. It's 120 now. get a separate rice cooker so you can have hot rice thruout the evening and all weekend, to go with whatever you cook with the instant pot (veggies and a roast or chicken) I love jasmine rice because it smells so damn good thruout the kitchen

My opinions are not necessarily my opinions.
ATLien

Liked: 150

Postby No4Dad » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:28 pm

I actually picked up a separate 6qt pot for the IP and 2 glass lids so I can make "something" in one and then make rice in the other.

I never have gotten rice correct up until I got the IP.

The deal is this:
- 1 cup rice : 1 cup water
- type of rice doesn't matter because you don't have to account for evaporation
- push the rice button.

No4Dad
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 12673

Postby Phathack » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:40 pm

No4Dad wrote:I actually picked up a separate 6qt pot for the IP and 2 glass lids so I can make "something" in one and then make rice in the other.

I never have gotten rice correct up until I got the IP.

The deal is this:
- 1 cup rice : 1 cup water
- type of rice doesn't matter because you don't have to account for evaporation
- push the rice button.

I do this with a food steamer, put it in a heat safe glass bowl like Pyrex that will fit in the steamer and steam for 30-35 minutes. Perfect rice every time and a steamer can be had a Walmart for $20

:ugeek:

Proudly considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993
Phathack
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 8299

Return to Food and Recipes