Does appearing Beta help your career?

Hate your boss? Want a career change or landed a new job? Discussion forum for all things related to Jobs and Careers.

Does appearing Beta help your career?

Postby a_real_man » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Evening gents,

I was looking at this article about guidelines for choosing a "good" linkedin profile photo
http://www.yesware.com/blog/best-photo-linkedin/
It's like a "good" tinder pic is a bad linkedin pic and vice verse. Do you agree? Do you have similar experience with behaving beta-ly paying off in your career?

I am the leader of MGTOW

Betas do it better
a_real_man
Established Member

Liked: 936

Re: Does appearing Beta help your career?

Postby chiefbrownmonk » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:17 pm

a_real_man wrote:Do you agree? Do you have similar experience with behaving beta-ly paying off in your career?

Disagree. Found it to be quite the opposite. During a conversation yesterday, the president of the company indicated that he loved that I didn't bother with the politics in the office and just got shit done. He said it was a bit like magic.

Being beta doesn't help your career. Not even when you're surrounded by twats. Of course, my experience might be the exception. Incidentally, I should point out that I follow the two important rules as far as I know:

1. Be attractive
2. Don't be unattractive.

We are John Galt.
chiefbrownmonk
Established Member

Liked: 2417

Postby Slade » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:05 pm

chiefbrownmonk wrote:Being beta doesn't help your career.

I think being beta hurts your career. You'll get passed over for promotions, even if you do good work, because you will be perceived as a follower and not a leader.

Slade
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 31341

Postby Morgu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:18 pm

If people perceive you as beta, they will heap more of their work onto you.

Don't do it.

Best to do the work you are paid to do.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12748

Postby indianajohn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Slade wrote:
chiefbrownmonk wrote:Being beta doesn't help your career.

I think being beta hurts your career. You'll get passed over for promotions, even if you do good work, because you will be perceived as a follower and not a leader.

QFT!

No matter how attractive a woman is, somewhere, out there, some guy is sick of her shit.

Can't shake a whore tree and expect a housewife to fall out.
indianajohn
MGTOW Rockstar

Liked: 6885

Postby TheWanderer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am

I don't know as far as "career" jobs go...

But for menial jobs being beta definitely doesn't help. People shit on you and push you around more because they perceive you as caring about your shitty job. Maybe see you as a slave who can't do better. (Even though if you're MGTOW you might be doing shitty work because you can.)

I've tried both approaches, being alpha works much better. When people know they can't fuck with you and that you don't give a shit about the job or walking off the job any time you fucking feel like it. Well being a menial worker brings freedom. No investment in it, especially not for an alpha type.

TheWanderer
Established Member

Liked: 440

Postby a_real_man » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks for the responses. How about in terms of only appearance, not behavior, like in the photos?

I am the leader of MGTOW

Betas do it better
a_real_man
Established Member

Liked: 936

Postby toadman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Being married(especially with kids) you are so-called "Beta'd" from the get-go. Although illegal to discriminate, employers know who are the company-men wage-slaves with mortgages to pay. "Beta" for aesthetics is not the catch-all but telling.
Work is work, not the place for social posturing, status or pecking order.

"We can't change prevailing winds, but we can adjust the sails."
toadman
Administrator

Liked: 6708

Postby Cherubino » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:58 am

I am not sure what exactly "alpha" or "beta" appearance would be. But "dress for your role" sounds good. Fact is, it's part of the job. In some industries this means to look fancy in others it's better to look boring and so on. The more important part of appearance however is posture and gesture, clothing comes second.

Ask not what you can do for your country - do ask what your country can do to you.
I make a distinction between the oppressor in W., DC and it's main enemy and target: the American people.

"Increasingly, one's humanity is directly proportional to both one's insistence on withdrawal from the herd, and one's intolerance towards ape-like conduct of all sorts." - bem

"What do women think? Who really cares what women think? You're not running a free psychiatric clinic." - dubya
Cherubino
Established Member

Liked: 2865

Return to Jobs and Careers