Too stupid for Linux

Dedicated to all things technical and cool! Discuss games, consoles, TVs, iPads, phones, Laptops, CPUs, PCs, appliances etc etc etc, you name it!

Too stupid for Linux

Postby Alistair » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:48 pm

http://www.geek.com/news/dell-laptop-wi ... ge-672161/

It’s quite a statement to make – “I dropped out of college because my Dell laptop had Ubuntu on it”. But that’s what this story boils down to.

A woman by the name of Abbie Schubert enrolled in the Madison Area Technical College (MATC). Her intention was to take a number of classes online and therefore she needed a laptop on which to view the course material and do her course work. She turned to Dell and spent $1,100 buying a machine she thought was suitable direct from their website.

When it arrived Abbie expected to boot the machine up and see the Microsoft Windows logo, but to her surprise instead she saw the Ubuntu logo. Calling Dell’s support line a bit confused she asked what Ubuntu was. The support person explained it was an alternative OS and even though she could switch to Windows she was advised that she could do everything she needed to on the popular Linux distro.

Abbie decided to stick with Ubuntu, but then started running into problems. Remember, she is not a technical person and required a laptop that she could just use. Her first blocker was the Verizon CD she had for setting up an Internet account which wouldn’t work with Ubuntu. Then she found out her MATC courses required Microsoft Word format documents for coursework submission – she didn’t know or realize OpenOffice was on her machine and that it can produce Word documents.

Totally frustrated she contacted Dell again, but this time she was told swapping to Windows was no longer an option. After that the only option in her eyes was to then drop out of her courses as she could not access the content or produce the work as they required it.

Since then, with the help of WKOWTV.com, a Verizon engineer has arranged a visit to sort out her Internet and MATC have said they can show Abbie how to save her documents in OpenOffice to be compatible with their submission procedures.

Speaks for itself.

The other side of this are the television adverts for Microshit in which the smiling participants are all women, manginas or weirdos. It is clear from their target audience that they have given up on normal men.

And what are they doing with their oh-so-wonderful Microshit boxes?

Well, I'll give you a clue. They won't be landing on Mars any time soon.

Liberty, Property, Sanity (GreyWolf68)

I came, I saw, I shrugged, I left

There is no Tooth Fairy. There is no Santa Claus. There is no Good Woman
Alistair
Established Member

Liked: 2234

Re: Too stupid for Linux

Postby WheelBarrow » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:06 pm

For some reason I'm calling BS on the original article. There is no way a Dell rep would refuse to sell a customer Windows. Just no way. Michael Dell has long been too buddy buddy with Bill Gates and the rest of the Miscrosoft higher ups to allow such a response to a customer.

The article is from 2009 so is hardly current. At the time Microsoft was happily selling Windows 7 and feeling strong, so a bit of gaslighting was not beyond them.

“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

"A tattoo on a hot woman is like a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" -- unknown man with discriminating taste.
WheelBarrow
MGTOW Veteran

Liked: 7218

Postby Morgu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:56 pm

She was struggling with Ubuntu. Imagine if she tried Slackware. :lol:

WheelBarrow wrote:For some reason I'm calling BS on the original article. There is no way a Dell rep would refuse to sell a customer Windows.

I agree with WheelBarrow. If you call Dell looking to purchase a copy of Windows, Dell will sell you a copy of Windows. On the other hand, I have frequently encountered people who are incapable of entering their username and password correctly without assistance.

--Morgu

*scene aboard MSS MGTOW*
Electronics officer: "Captain, Morgu, sir, western civilization now requires all men to live with a woman!"
Captain Morgu: "Diving officer, submerge the ship. Make your depth 3-5-0 feet..."

Funny thing about garlic, it keeps away three types of blood suckers: mosquitoes, vampires, and human females.
Morgu
MGTOW All-Star

Liked: 12748

Postby Fray Bentos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:36 am

Morgu wrote:On the other hand, I have frequently encountered people who are incapable of entering their username and password correctly without assistance.
--Morgu

I thought we agreed we were keeping that between us!

"I just can't imagine there are that many guys with worn out walrus fetishes. Some sure, but not that many" - Hobgoblin...
Fray Bentos
Selfish Bastard

Liked: 2676

Postby deadb0y » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 am

Dell fucking LOVE windows.. Love it!

WheelBarrow wrote:For some reason I'm calling BS on the original article. There is no way a Dell rep would refuse to sell a customer Windows. Just no way. Michael Dell has long been too buddy buddy with Bill Gates and the rest of the Miscrosoft higher ups to allow such a response to a customer.

The article is from 2009 so is hardly current. At the time Microsoft was happily selling Windows 7 and feeling strong, so a bit of gaslighting was not beyond them.

Lest we not forget, this was a woman talking a tech.. I've been there, she could have been telling the tech all kinds of shit!

Women and tech generally don't mix very well!

I remember trying to give a woman a password over the phone once... 20 minutes of repeating it over and over before she got it right - 20 FUCKING minutes!! That experience has buried that password so deep in my subconscious that I dream about it almost weekly!

Upper case K : Lower case r : 2 : 5 : 0 : comma : Upper case C : 3

20 minutes to get that right!

deadb0y
Established Member

Liked: 1947

Postby Calloway » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 am

...she was advised that she could do everything she needed to on the popular Linux distro.

This is what bugs me about tech support lines. How can someone tell you that this computer, or this OS, or this whatever, will do everything you'll need it to do. Because *I* don't even know what I'll need my computer to do 5 months from now. I may be wanting to learn a new programming language that I'm not even considering today, or I may discover that "Awesome Game, Volume 2!!" just came out and the PC requirements are steep.

And, for years, the promise of Linux was much greater than the actual deliverable. I know Ubuntu and many of the distros are much better now, but I heard that line "Linux can do everything Windows can" for years when it simply wasn't true. And I'm not saying Linux was less than Windows. But even I used certain software packages that weren't available on anything other than Windows.

To throw Linux at a tech novice, especially a few years ago, wasn't a responsible move. Most people don't want to tinker on their computer. They just want to get something done and move on with their lives.

Calloway
Tech Impaired Nutjob

Liked: 13465

Postby bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Calloway wrote:To throw Linux at a tech novice, especially a few years ago, wasn't a responsible move. Most people don't want to tinker on their computer. They just want to get something done and move on with their lives.

This. Linux is perfectly good for almost all web stuff, and Open Office is reasonable with Microsoft document (as long as the MS Word user didn't do anything fancy) but there is stuff some people will need that is only on Windows. Don't even start talking about any sort of niche software.

"THOSE AREN'T FEELINGS...THOSE ARE LIES YOUR DICK IS TELLING TO YOU!!!" - Chef
bob
Deplorable and Irredeemable

Liked: 11110

Postby bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Her first blocker was the Verizon CD she had for setting up an Internet account which wouldn’t work with Ubuntu.

This is nonsense, even in 2009. What, it's like the AOL CDs that everybody used to use for coasters?

In fact, I was using Verizon's website in 2009, from Linux.

Nobody in 2009 - except maybe AOL - was sending out CDs to set up users on their websites.

ETA: Dell has sold computers with Linux pre-installed. They are always hi-end and expensive. Also, you pretty much have to be trying to buy a Linux machine to find it on their site.

"THOSE AREN'T FEELINGS...THOSE ARE LIES YOUR DICK IS TELLING TO YOU!!!" - Chef
bob
Deplorable and Irredeemable

Liked: 11110

Return to Computers, Games, and Technology